Author Topic: Ice Flies  (Read 2064 times)

Offline fly_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frozen holes are no good!!!!
Ice Flies
« on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Has anyone tied their own ice flies? I'm an avid fly fisherman and fly tyer. I was thinking of tying some weighted #16-#20 Black ice nymphs and tipping with a single grub. I've never gone smaller than #14 jigs on the ice. Looking for some imput.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re:Ice Flies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:05 AM »
I tie all my own dropper flies.  I use a #12 long nymph hook for all (anything smaller is a pain in the a-- on the ice)
I basicly have 2 patterns though you could tie any nympth or wet and it would work. the ones I use are #1 a black or dark green (Pcock herl) body (full length) with a copper rib and red (calf's tail) tail.  #2 is a micky finn streamer pattern tied (very small) on the #12.
I have used other patterns like the hares ear and pheasent tail and they have produced.  The two I use are easy to tie and it dosent seem to hurt as much when that Northern comes along and decides he wants it more than I do.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

flaggggg

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Are you tipping your flies with any kind of bait dogfish? l like to tie smaller jigs and tics on my leaders using bloodknots so they hang off the side by a 1/2 in or so.l usually pretie all my leaders and store them in small snack baggies 2 or 3 jigs per leader.That way l have a variety at hand without having to tie much while l'm working.l've found the bloodknots add alot more natural floating action.But l've yet to try any actual flies,maybe with a slighly longer length say an inch they should look incredible thanks....... :'(

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 11:47 AM »
I tie a fly up above the jig pretty often. Especially when the perch are being real finicky. I tip it with a couple of spikes or mousies.  

missfishylicious

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2004, 01:02 PM »
you should check out "scuds the perch seeking missles" on the ny thread

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Here's a quick "how to" for scuds (freshwater shrimp).

http://www.ozarkangler.com/education/lesson10.html

I've got a half dozen tied and hope to give them a try this weekend.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

flaggggg

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:11 PM »
you should check out "scuds the perch seeking missles" on the ny thread
Yep you were right definetely worth the search thank you missfishylicious...... :'(

Offline flyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:22 PM »
I am an avid flie fisher....never thought to use my nymphs...does this work.....sounds like a great idea...do you tip them with anything..???

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:31 AM »
Try some "Crystal Scuds"
I had a bunch tied and was going to post a pic of them but the guys at the NY Ice Fishers Anonymous meeting last night cleaned me out. Tied these this morning. IM me if you'd like instructions etc.
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.