The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Shelters Shopping  (Read 2997 times)

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Shelters Shopping
« on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I've been looking at shelters and have decided I want to go with the flip-up kind. I like the one's from Clam, Frabill, & Eskimo, and want to get something that's a 2 seater. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Re: Ice Shelters Shopping
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:32 PM »
How are you using it?  Fishing solo or with someone else?  Pulling by hand or with a machine?  What kind of vehicle are you hauling it in?  What kind of fishing do you do...stationary or mobile?
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:41 PM »
The big thing to consider is are size and weight of the sled. There are some that will easily hold two large people and maybe even three smaller ones. Thing is the weight of the sled could be 80 lbs. One that will fit two people but not with all the excess room could weigh 60lbs. Depending on your ability 20lbs can make a difference in dragging it along. Those concerns don't matter as much if you have a smitty sled or something to pull the sled (ATV, Snowmobile).
The sleds you mentioned are all good sleds, yes, some better than others. So the next concern is "What can I afford?". There are a bunch of things to think about, how often am I realistically going to go fishing? Will I always have someone with me or just some of the time? Do I want a sled that has a quilted lining or can I create a lining with reflectix to keep the condensation down.
I have a friend who has gone through 3 sleds before he found the one he wants. He just decided that I will get the one that looks good to me right now and go for it. If I don't like it after a year or two I'll sell it and go for the next thing.
Check the ice shanky tips forum for an overview of what "real" users have to say about the sled they got and why or why not they like it or hate it.

I had a clam Nanook (5 seasons) and liked it. it was a smaller two person sled that I could haul by myself and it was easy to move around with if I wanted to do some hole hopping. I now have an Eskimo EVO 2. I likeit very much as it has a ton of room. Thing is it isn't a sled for hole hopping. That is where I am now.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:58 PM »
I'll be pulling it by hand wherever I go, of which half the time I'm with at least 1 other person. Sometimes we sit on a spot, sometimes we hole hop. I have a short bed Colorado. I certainly don't want to go through multiple sleds before hitting the "right" one. I'll check out the tips forum.

Thanks Again

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Thanks for the additional info and some great points in the post above.  If I were you, the number 1 thing I'd be considering is weight.  You are pulling by hand and trying to load/unload the sled from a pickup bed.  Otter makes a great quality product but they are really heavy.  Great if you have a machine to pull it because they are really durable but overkill in most cases for a guy walking from spot to spot.  Clam makes a nice line up of shelters and I'd recommend looking more at their "entry level" shacks as they will be more lightweight.  I'd also take a look at Shappell.  Good units at a fair price.  Frabill has some newer models that have different kinds of side entry/exit and that is a good idea if you are fishing with 2 people in the shack. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:34 PM »
For the price you can't really go wrong with the Eskimo Sierra, suggested price of $450 for the insulated one.  It's a nice shelter, fully insulated, and isn't going to put you in the poor house from the price.  I would suggest making a Smitty Sled for it that way it's easier to pull around.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:38 PM »
This is one that fits a 2 man

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Looking into the same thing. Clam has several pop up shelters that are lighter than some other brands. They might be smaller but it would only be for myself. I like the Kenai Pro with a 54 lbs weight. Has anyone experience with this one/ feedback on this one?

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:44 AM »
i have a frabill two man, had it for many years love it .plenty of room gear fishing area  me being tall can stand up in for a leg and back skrecht. only draw back when by yourself. a bit heavy and akward  loading and unloading

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:17 AM »
I have the clam x2 and love it but it weighs 150 lbs dry. I do drag it but when I hit snow drifts, its brutal. When the ice is thick enough I pull it with machines which makes it easy. I also load it on a trailer so I don't have to pick it up and slide it in a pick up. If i where you I would check out the clam yukon thermal. It weighs 100 lbs but still has the same seats as my x2 which are extremely comfortable. If you take one seat out because your fishing by yourself you will probably bring the weight down to 80lbs. If your under 6' you will still probably be able to stand in the yukon, that was something I wanted to be able to do. Good luck just keep in mind weight and what your capable of doing.

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Nindo24, If that is your usual practice then Check out the Nanook from Clam. I had it and liked it a lot. If there is a thermal version I would recommend that. The price is moderate and the quality is good. Once you get a sled which ever one you choose, check out the iceshanty tips forum and see what other folks have done. There are a lot of practical tips to look at and some that are over the top!

Good luck with the new sled and the season.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2017, 04:35 PM »
I've had a CLAM NANOOK for the last 5 years.  I removed factory seats, but use it for solo usage & with a buddy. It certainly isn't the quality of an Otter or Eskimo, but has served me well.

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Thanks for all the help so far guys. One other question, which do you all feel is the better quality product? I've been looking at a bunch of sleds, looked at a slew of reviews, still waiting to hear back from Frabill, Clam, & Eskimo about a few things, and everything really seems on par with each other. I really like the features of most of the sleds. I'm a bigger guy at 5'10-11", 240lbs and like the idea of having room to move & breathe too. So many choices......

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:19 AM »
#1 Otter
#2 Eskimo
#3, Etc: Clam, Frabil, Shapell
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Nindo24 I have 2 clams with no complaints ,  I have also owned 1&2 man frabils  , I would suggest looking into the otters
Very well made

Offline crappie-tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:58 AM »
Sled shelters are a novelty item in PA cause you have to drag them which can be tough with just a little snow.   A well made suit is our top priority. I"m loosing count but, I think we have 7 of the original Artic Series Sno-Suits now.   We only use the clams when it's <20 degrees out and blowing 20+mph.   Everytime we had the clams out I wished I was doing something else.   There's ice making weather and, ice fishing weather imo.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:47 AM »
would be best to go and check the displays out. also check the specs about fishable space and weight. i added hy-fax to the bottom of all my sleds and flip over shanties. makes pulling them easier. most noticeably on slush and reduces noise and saves the sled/tubs.

shappell has been the lightest flip over for many years and they use bench seating. you can add you own bleach/stadium seat(s) to it if you want a back rest.
with new owners, they are making new strides and beginning to make even better shelters. their two person is the fx200I. insulated version are all new for them starting late last year. their hy-fax kit is the best of the few i have used. every time they make an improvement i buy another one and sell my older one. i am 6" and 220 and use the fx100 and have plenty of space for me and all of my things i bring. hoping they make the fx100 into the insulated version soon. i did add reflectix to the top of it to bounce lighting and heat and stop condensation.

what ever you buy, make sure to add a long pull rope and make a smitty sled for snow days, unless you never pull by hand.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I just checked the Shappell website and they don't list the FX100 anymore! What's up??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2017, 11:44 AM »
i see them
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

specs on the fx200I
FX200i  Insulated

Two person
    Solid one piece frame
    Sliding padded seat
    Full wind break position
    Front zip door
    Front, rear, and side windows
    Auto-flow air vents
    Second access rear door
    High-Viz reflectors
    Extreme-duty insulated 600D polyester shell
    18 sq ft Fishable area
    76 lbs.
Sled Base:     60"L x 44"W x 13"H
Size: Set Up: 60"W x 88"D x 61"H
         Travel:  44"W x 60"L x 19"H

specs on the fx100
FX100

Solid One Piece Instant Flip Frames
    Extra Wide Front Frame for more Fishable Area
    Wide Body Sled Base
    Full Width Padded Sliding Bench Seat
    Front Zipper Door
    High Visibility Reflectors
    Heavy Duty 600D Polyester Fabric
    Sled Base:     44"L x 32"W x 10"H
    Size: Set Up: 44"W x 85"D x 59"H
             Travel:  44"W x 44"L x 18"H
    Weight:  37 lbs.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Best built IMO are Otter, especially the Pro series. A 2 man can pull quite hard regardless of manufacturer when you start to get a bunch of snow on the ice.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:31 PM »
I’ve been stuck on getting another shanty for a while now and have sat in a lot.  The ones I’ve narrowed it down to are either the otter cabin, otter lodge, or the clam Yukon thermal you can get from cabelas with the Black wrapping instead of the blue simply because I hate the look of the blue and figured black would pull in more heat.   Those are just the three I’ve liked the most.   The only thing you really can do is find somewhere that carries a variety and sit in them or buy what sounds nice and bounce till you find one you like.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:46 PM »
I'm going to have to take a trip down to Cabela's and sit in a few to get a feel for some. Thanks again for all the input everyone.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Cabelas.  In Hamburg Pa has the most set up to look at biggest and most ice fishing things than most stores...
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:33 PM »
So I made a trip to Cabelas today to look at shelters. I did not like the Clam because of how low the ceiling was in it. I liked the windows on the Eskimo's and how easy the flip-up Frabill was, but did not like the windows on the Frabill. I'm leaning toward Eskimo, but I'm not sure if I want to go with the Wide Inferno or one of the crossover models. Any opinions on the crossover models?

Offline coldfeetbigfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:51 PM »
I just put my EVO1 together today and it is bigger then I thought it would be. Can't wait to use it. It is high enough to stand in and fish two holes no problem. The height of seat is just right and vision out of the windows is great. Hope to get to use it this year, weather last two days is crazy.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:23 AM »
nindo, I have a clam big mouth. It's like the inferno in that the front bar expands. I didn't think it would help much but it does. Now I get set up, expand the front and shovel some snow on the flaps and it's home sweet home. I can drill a couple holes, set up my flasher, have an extra bucket for holding rods and stuff, set up my little buddy heater and still have room to get to the door.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:42 AM »
nindo, I have a clam big mouth. It's like the inferno in that the front bar expands. I didn't think it would help much but it does. Now I get set up, expand the front and shovel some snow on the flaps and it's home sweet home. I can drill a couple holes, set up my flasher, have an extra bucket for holding rods and stuff, set up my little buddy heater and still have room to get to the door.

I looked on Clam's website and I didn't see it in their line-up. Is that an older model shelter?

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:44 AM »
I just put my EVO1 together today and it is bigger then I thought it would be. Can't wait to use it. It is high enough to stand in and fish two holes no problem. The height of seat is just right and vision out of the windows is great. Hope to get to use it this year, weather last two days is crazy.

How is it to "flip up" into place? Do you think it will be a pain to flip up & then flip down when you're ready to move to another spot?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.