The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: A good read printed today (11/30/22) in the Gillette News Record  (Read 1685 times)

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
 >:( Not a good way of attempting to manage a fishery or economical way. I don't like the killing off of a lake because of some sectors of people or management deam some species are detrimental to a particular waters. It will take a long time to bring back this lake. Wouldn't netting work to thin out some of the "undesirables"?  ::)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I read that yesterday.
 Pretty interesting.
 So all you guys only want to fish for is trout??
 I know it was loaded with suckers and they had to go but sounds like it was a good fishery?   
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I've never fished there it's like 200 miles through the mountains for me. GF caters to trout and trout fishing. The "tradition" is strong in parts of the state. I honestly don't know what folks in that part of the state want. Around the east side we preferer warmer water species.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
I would have loved to see the perch take off, but from what I heard it was FULL of suckers. Like people catching 10 suckers and a stocker trout in a trip. Something had to be done if “we” wanted it to be a sport fishery. I guess this is the best option over a sucker derby. ;) . You can bet I’ll be fishing it for tiger trout in a few years though!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Catching a big trout through the ice is a lot of fun . But I would rather eat a dozen perch. And white suckers from cold water are awesome boiled up and dipped in cocktail sauce.. ;)
Oh it’s dinner time here.. ;D

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
With the price of cut bait it looks like a fellow could have fished there a couple of days and brought home a paycheck.  ;D
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
if everything with gills is killed off, then they stock with trout, what will the trout be eating?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
[quote rdhammah link=topic=390405.msg4278192#msg4278192 date=1669850603]
if everything with gills is killed off, then they stock with trout, what will the trout be eating?
[/quote]

Yeah that’s what I was thinking..
Funny thing is I have a Saratoga lake two hours away and when I saw the headlines yesterday that’s what I was thinking.. ;D

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
think they now should put "Walleye and Blue Gill's" in the lake, something not every lake has. Heck you can go catch a smelly trout anywhere in wyoming- Let's try to diversify what we have around here for crying sakes.

Keep up the message to the G&F that we need something more to fish for than "TROUT"!!
Marvin

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'd guess that trout unlimited had a hand in that, they want every lake and stream in the west to be a blue ribbon trout fishery, rather catch perch and walleye myself.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
I think the Game and Fish is hearing that message. They even address it in the article and state the reasoning for the kill
Of being that it’s the headwaters of the north platte. Perch in the ecosystem would throw things off. Out of empathy, I get that, even though in my own small brain, adding some perch into the water doesn’t seem like it would matter much. Obviously it does and creates headaches pertaining to their “management plan”. So again I get it. I’d love some warm water species in this corner of the state, but it’s just not happening without a complete shift in thinking.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
think they now should put "Walleye and Blue Gill's" in the lake, something not every lake has. Heck you can go catch a smelly trout anywhere in wyoming- Let's try to diversify what we have around here for crying sakes.

Keep up the message to the G&F that we need something more to fish for than "TROUT"!!

Agreed and everyone I fish with would say the same also.

FYI- they killed off Muddy Guard #2 this fall also. They're going to re-stock it next spring with.... trout.

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you guys don't like this wait till you see what they are going to do for all the drainages around Cody over the next few years. Kill off everything and stock with only native Yellowstone cutthroat trout!
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
There was a video, I looked for it for 20 mins. I'm assuming it was deleted. Its was the Saratoga commerce recorded the public meeting with F&G discussing killing Saratoga lake. You could here the frustration in the locals. The Saratoga derby was one of it major events that brought in a crap load of money into the economy.  Residents asking why is it so bad for perch to stay in. Long story short it sounded like they wanted to protect some rich peoples ponds. They destroyed/murdered a huge financial revenue to the local town. If someone finds it please post it on here. Its worth the watch. For me when I was in college we wish there was something else to fish for down in that part of the world. O well politics
No one left behind.     

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the WYGF managing our fisheries over the past decade. They do a great job of collecting data to justify management plans and making that information available to the public on their website. I’ve emailed our local biologist on a number of occasions to ask questions about our local water bodies to which the office has promptly replied.

I spend a lot of time fishing in MT and when I compare the two states, Wy hands down makes a real effort to involve the public in making decisions. Or at least make it appear that the anglers have a voice.

I’m most impressed in the management of Glendo, Keyhole, and lake desmet in recent years. They’ve been doing great things to diversify the available species and ensure the health of our the aforementioned fisheries despite increased fishing pressure in the past 5 years.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Well thanks for posting the article on yellowstone cutthroats and what is planned for the bighorn basin. I have already reached out to the WY G&F to discuss what's in the article.I wonder if some drainages or areas were listed in there as a mistake- Hence "Bighorn Lake". I do know that area is a multi-species lake and has jurisdiction by two different states so for one don't know why that was even listed as there is no way that area is even viable for cutthroat trout due to it being one of the places that has a pretty pure strain of Saugers of which we have been told is important also to the Wy G&F.

I'll keep the group advised on what I find and just so you all know i'm part of a walleye club so i speak to the agency a lot about trying to keep diversity of fishery's and not one sided "Trout" talks.

Thanks again!
Marvin

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sauger are a major thing for the game and fish since they do not stock catfish in boysen anymore due to the windriver having one of the last pure strains of sauger as well. Interesting read on all the topics for the fish in wyoming with the kill at Saratoga lake and all.

Offline dlchapma

• IceShanty Rookie
Why would common carp have been stocked in the past? I was under the impression that carp are not good for eating. Is that wrong?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
In Japan they are a delicacy. Thinking about people who would release fish back then it would make some scene I guess. I tried cooking them once but forgot to take the mud vein out. Can't bring myself to try again. In some places in the south they eat carp. I would think if done well it would be OK. 

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry that this is way off topic but...  Carp- if you enjoy eating pickled pike, try carp with the same recipe.  You will not know the difference.  It is excellent.  Also, it is very good smoked. 

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Carp is very much a sought-after food fish in Europe & Asia.  They laugh at us because we see it as the lowest of the trash fish.  I have eaten pickled and smoked sucker and found it to be excellent eating and suspect that carp would be so as well.  Pickling or pressure canning carp meat would completely eliminate the overabundance of bones associated with carp.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.