Author Topic: Carhartt Setup  (Read 1710 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
Carhartt Setup
« on: Jul 15, 2013, 07:03 PM »
 I am looking for a Carhartt setup. Does anyone know what pieces of clothing to buy for Ice Fishing?

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Carhartt Setup
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2013, 07:21 PM »
I wear the padded bib overalls and their Detroit jacket, but only because I have them for work. If you kneel in the snow to check traps, your knees will get wet

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2013, 08:04 PM »
I know a lot of guys that wear/use carharts, I do - when working in the outdoors.  But I feel that ice is no place for them; or anything else cotton.  Soaks up water and sweat and keeps it.  There are many many choices in ice fishing gear that will outperform carharts by leaps and bounds.  That's just my opinion.  Been there done that kind of thing.  Some of the new 2-peice float suits are the safest bet out on the ice.  They are warm and they breathe and they don't get wet, from either the outside or the inside.
So I guess, depending on your fishing style, they may be OK, but not the best.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2013, 01:07 AM »
If you choose to use/wear Carhart clothing while ice fishing look for the bib overalls and coats-jackets with an outer layer made from nylon. I think they call it Arctic or extreme wear the outer layer is black made from codura nylon. I own a pair of the bibs the benefits are zippers to the hip and insulated to the chest area. The clothing works well but I agree with FishForPike  for around the same amount of money you can buy a float suit . I own an Arctic Armor suit in red and black my only complaints are the suit could breathe- wick moisture better and the internal leg gaiters can be a pain . I do not know if they have all sizes in stock but Fish 307 has Strkyer ice wear on sale. They are also a long time site sponsor.
Steve

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Their artic wear runs about 120 bones for the coat and another 120 for the bibs. They are really stiff for about the first two years too. I speak from experience. Striker may still have some close out prices out there somewhere. Id look around first.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Ive got the Arctic Bibs, wore them for a few years, they were great. They would get wet, so beware.  Couple years ago, I got a Ice fishing suit...not sure which one, but its great.  Not as heavy, dries quickly, padded knees, zip legs, lots of pockets.....My carharts now sit and cry cause they dont get to go ice fishing.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2013, 08:35 AM »
I know a lot of guys that wear/use carharts, I do - when working in the outdoors.  But I feel that ice is no place for them; or anything else cotton.  Soaks up water and sweat and keeps it.  There are many many choices in ice fishing gear that will outperform carharts by leaps and bounds.  That's just my opinion.  Been there done that kind of thing.  Some of the new 2-peice float suits are the safest bet out on the ice.  They are warm and they breathe and they don't get wet, from either the outside or the inside.
So I guess, depending on your fishing style, they may be OK, but not the best.

X2!!!  I switched to a Striker suit and won't go back to Carhartt's for ice fishing...  Warmer and i feel a heck of a lot safer on this sketchy Indiana ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.