Author Topic: whats your best single fish catch?  (Read 901 times)

thefishinfrenzy

whats your best single fish catch?
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:29 PM »
I have a tremendous story that involves a musky an ice fishing rod and a cigar boat poker run.This past summer I was working siding one of the realy ritzy houses along the St lawerence river.This gentleman was set up The dock and all the boats litterly mad me $#%*,any way you get the picture .After a few days there in the hot sun a dip in the river sounds good so me and the crew went swiming to cool off.I notice on one dive several decent perch all 11 in. plus .So the next day i decided to Bring my ice fishing rods and jig box and get me some lunch.The next day I hit the dock at lunch time and started pumalingtheseperch.All
well over 3/4 of a pound and a few realy nice pushing 2
My stepbrother came down and got in the action.In 30 minutes we filled a bucket and they started geting real small.All day there was a  cigar boat poker  run They were all Loud and sweet I think  were runing From Alex bay to Clayton .Any so after awhile the action stopped.
The water up there is crystal clear and the sight fishing the dock ruled.I looked down at my jig and seen several perch looking at my Jig.I coaxed one into a bite
and as I set the hook a super sonic torpedo of the musky variety ripped by engulfing 2 small perch and the one I just hooked. my 20 inch custom super sesitive rod bent as almost into a circle.How this rod and my 3 pound P-line held still amazes me to this day.
I ran as fast As I could in and out of several docks,
Keeping up with this monster!! :oThe power if this fish and the sheer helplesness I felt at the time The main thing on my mind is when am I going to loose this fish.
As luck would have it after a good 45 minites he swam back by the dock I Origanaly hooked  him.He milled around there for a while and we got alot of good looks at this fish.Fianally after another 25 minutes this fish had had enough of us and B-Lined it to the middle of
The St.Lawrance river.I knew what time it was,He was going to say good bye. As I watched my line scream off my real ,he got struck by a cigar boat.My rod went limp And I thought for sure he was gone.AS I reeled in my line my rod bent back over and the mighty beast was still On  :D  He didnt semm to have much fight left  but I  was getting line on him.The only net we had was one Richard grabbed out of the garage we were working on,A small bass net and no way this guy was fitting,I got the fish dock side ,Threw the net Over his head. this guy had a mean toothy not so happy smile,I jumped in with the net around his head and pushed him into shore and onto the bank.When this stuned and tired fishhit land he regergetated 5 or 6 perch on the bank.I stood there literaly stuned.I'm A professional fishing guide in Oswego and I have seen my fair share of amazing things out fishing.The fish was 52 1/8 in.
28 in girth and tiped the offical scales at 38 lbs 9 oz. ; :oI sent all the info to the IGFA and they disallowed it because of theP- line. I was furious and sent them several not so nice E-mails . The IGFA guys can all kiss my arse and I will never register or have my clients register any thing we catch. This is the truth and nothing but. I got a picture of the beast and he hangs on my was compliments of the might taxedermist Dave Fish .how do I post this pic.
            Thanx Frenzy out.

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: whats your best single fish catch?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:31 PM »
WOW!!!

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Great story!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2004, 11:35 PM »
How can anyone on this site even try to beat that story. I don't think anyone can.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:03 AM »
That's an amazing story. I have a semi-story, also from the St. Lawrence. The reason it's a semi-story ia because I lost the fish. Anyway, my friend and I were standing on a dock at his camp one evening, casting. The water was low, ad I could see every rock and weed for a long long way. As Frenzy mentioned, the water is crystal clear. I had a wally diver tied on with...no leader...this would be my downfall. As I said, I was casting a wally diver, and I could see it bouncing off every rock out there. I started to think about changing lures, because I hadn't even seen a fish. I started walking up and down the dock, letting the lure pass right in front. I stopped, and looked down. This muskie shot out from underneath the dock and stopped, looking at the lure. By this time, I couldn't talk, so I just kept studdering my friends name, snapping my fingers and pointing at the fish. As he looked, the fish smashed the lure and just sat there. That was all the encouragement I needed. I set the hook as hard as I could, burying the trebles in his jaw. He thrashed like hell, and headed for open water. I started to palm the drag, trying to slow him down. Finally, he turned and rolled, snapping the line and taking my lure. I felt sick to my stomach, because I had told my friend "I don't need a leader, all we'll be catching is bass anyway." Well, I had this same attitude the next time I was up there. It was raining all day, and we had decided to go to Watertown for some Chinese food. When we got back, it was still pouring. I put my jacket on, grabbed my rod and headed for the boat bay. First cast, I pitched my t-rigged PowerWorm in front of a dock, and a 30" northern drilled it. I managed to get him up to the dock, and he started to make a run underneath. My friend grabbed it and as hit lifted the fish, it thrashed and snapped my line. Luckily, the fish was on land. Everyone standing around, including myself, couldn't believe that I had done that. I threw it back, and learned a lesson. No matter what you're fishing for up there, always use a leader!

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.