Author Topic: Flip Style Portables  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Flip Style Portables
« on: Feb 04, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Well, I figured I would take the usual newbie step and ask a question that has undoubtedly been asked a thousand times before. 

In your opinion's, what is the most rugged flip style portable?  Great framework, durable fabric, and solid sled...I'm not so concerned about weight.  Also, I'm toying with the idea of seeing if I can just buy the top works and then making a custom box/sled to mount it to as well.  So, if you could exclude consideration of the factory sled, what would your choices for topworks be?

Pardon the repetition and thank you in advance for your indulgence.
Chris Raymond

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flip Style Portables
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2004, 09:53 PM »
I use a fishtrap(1man).lots of room, canvas material and sets up fast.The new fishtrap guide(2man) are real sweet.There are a bunch of real nice portables out there.If I where you go to Gander Mountain or a similar store and check out there displays,see what"s comfortable for you with your style of fishing.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

iceman670

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2004, 10:55 PM »
I would agree . The fish trap Pro and guild are one of the best Flips out there.

RonP
Chicago

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2004, 07:13 AM »
I have the frabill ultra lite.mainley bought it for my young one's (11 and 12) the flip style is great for them easy and fast.     banshee you could make the top also,1/2 inch conduit a bender-drill and hacksaw then canvis it and your good to go.            Rich
walk the hard water side.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2004, 07:45 AM »
 Ive been fishing a sheppell rover for 2 yrs. now, and realy like the craftsmanship and mobilty a real nice shanty.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:46 AM »
I have a Shappell Rover, I like it a lot. I have had to make a few sewing repairs. And I think putting skis or the wear strips under them is a great idea.  The Rover is on the small side,but light (40#).  A freind of mine just got a one man Frabill It has a nice seat and a lot of room. Check them all out, sit in them, flip them over. see if they are dark enough to suit you. Go out on the ice and ask people who have them how they like theirs.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:56 AM »
I have the Frabill Ultra-lite and love it. Need to put downhill skis on it though to help with the tow

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Most people are happy with the shacks they have.  I am happy with my Trap Pro.  I packed wet slush around the skirting in the cold and it froze up.  I went to flip it over and ripped up the skirting some so I will have repairs to be made.  I am going to take the canvas off this summer and wash it and have it repaired.  At that time I will also put runners on the bottom.  Been a good buy for $165 new.  This is my 3rd year in it.  I will probably get a 2 man next year and will likely go for the Eskimo 2 man.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

f1sh1nfool

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I couldn't be happier with my otter lodge.  i have a new one with the square tubing,  i was skeptical at first about the tubing, but it really holds up in the wind.  you can purchase the tent and tubing separate from the sled, but the new style tent has plastic molding designed to slip right on over the sled edge.  I have had my skirting frozen down to the ice many times and have not ripped the fabric while pulling it free.  the otter is a little more pricey than some other units but the quality is there.  if you buy the otter, one of the major quality differences is in the sled,  i know you don't want any opinions on the sled,  but i wouldn't put the time into trying to build one for this tent.  the sled is just too good.  just my .02

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:34 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  This year is my first year back after a seven year break from ice fishing.  I've had a Fish Trap before but it was one of the originals and see where there has been much improvement in their coops.  I have thought about making my own tent, the framing wouldn't be hard or expensive but after buying the material I like and having it sewn up the price starts to get to the point of why make my own. 

Re: building my own base/sled, I thought I might like to mess around and take a wooden boat type approach to it with custom storage and such.  The Otter sleds seems sturdy enough but I wonder about their height.  'Course a guy could always build something into a sled and some additional height could be accounted for on same side as pivot points for the frame work. 

The local Gander Mountain does have too much in the way of selection but from poking around on the Internet my initial inclinations push me toward Otter, Eskimo, and Polarsports.  Not being able to get my hands on them is something of a hindrance.  I'll probably either wait until next year to get/make a coop...unless of course there's some big end of season clearance sale or something.

Thanks much folks, keep your opinions/impressions coming if you're so inclined. 
Chris Raymond

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:55 PM »
hey banshee,by the way welcome to the shanty.  Rich in Mass.
walk the hard water side.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:12 PM »
I've had the fishtrap for 7years now it's been great but its time to get a new one and i really like the new eskimo 2 man for the price and the material looks pretty heavy duty.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

captinjohn

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:45 PM »
What places sell the Eskimo 2 man.  Sounds like a good one  Thanks  Capt,n

Offline fzrpilot6

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2004, 01:43 AM »
I like my Fish Trap Guide 2 man not too heavy with good space for your gear!! :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline hardwater freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • why i icefish
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2004, 05:01 AM »
HI banshee welcome i to am a newbie to ice shanty
i had a polar escape two man nice shack easy to set up,plenty of room. this year i got a wicked good deal on a frabil tri-plex ranger three person,really easy to tow by hand or behind my skidoo. lots of room could put four in with extra chair. canvas is super strong and plyable. cost about $500.00 well worth it,i hope to have it for years to come. good luck with your seach. oh ya that polar escape is up for sale ,it's two years old asking $150.00 paid $300.00
 fishon dude

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:54 PM »
Glad to have found such an active ice fishing site.  I thought I might have a hard time finding one where folks were chirpy.  I've enjoyed reading some of the past posts here.  I've participated on a couple of shotgun shooting, bird hunting, and Michigan sites in the past but now limit my time to just just a couple.  This will be one...at least once I get my ice legs underneath me again.   
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.