Author Topic: Ice Auger Mount  (Read 1502 times)

maine-ly backward

Ice Auger Mount
« on: Feb 04, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Gotta find a new way to haul the auger with the 4-wheeler, anyone tried those mounts Cabela's sells, if so how'ld ya like it?

Offline trapperjon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water-Happy
Re: Ice Auger Mount
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2004, 06:58 PM »
Jig, This may or may not help, no I've never used or seen cabela's mounts. But after a couple of dozen yrs. with a 3wh. and now a 4wh. and watching others, find a way way to mount your auger on the front of your machine! The tail end of these machines generally take a beating, front mount you can keep an eye on it and does'nt really impede steering. The make of machine you own will determine your mount.
I am currently using a pair of old steel gun racks (pickup truck style for the back window) vinyl coated and readily available cheap, you probabably have a friend or relative with a set or two laying around. These work great if you have a riser (wraparound) on your machine if not then you'll have to be creative, what ever you do keep it out front, it's no fun to get back to shore and have to turn around to retrive!
trapper
40 yrs. And still on an ice fishin' mission!

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2004, 08:16 PM »
I used a 2x6 a little shorter than the auger, cut two more 2x6's about 12" and 14" long.
Vee'd the short 2x6's out, cushioned the bottom of the vee's with carpet and screwed the short 2x6's to the end of the longer one. The shaft below the motor sets in one vee and the auger in the other. This is bungeed to the front rack and the auger is bungeed down.
Some u-clamps through the 2x6 and around the rack might be an improvement but it works OK with the bungee.
It is cheap and is up front so you can watch it.
I am not sure "bungeed" is a word, but attached with a bungee cord might be better !!

maine-ly backward

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:43 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I agree with you trapper, the fronts the way to go. I've been tying the auger down with roap but it's beating the h**l out of the atv rack. Druther, how long you been using that rig? Wondering how it will hold up being made out of wood.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:41 AM »
It has been used just this season. I don't see any wear as I keep it bungeed snugly so there is no play between auger and wood. It might fall apart sometime but half the fun is building stuff for ice fishing !!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2004, 08:01 AM »
I purchased a Gun mount for a 4-wheeler from Cabela's and it workd great. I mounted it to the front rack, place the ice auger in it and i use my winch cable to hold it there. The mounts were not that expensive at all. ( don't remember the price) Hope this helps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.