Author Topic: True newbie  (Read 2132 times)

Offline icenewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
True newbie
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:20 PM »
I feel a little funny with this thread. I have never ice fished, but I want to start. I'm old, but eager to learn whatever I need to get going on this. I've open water fished my whole life, so I'm pretty aware of things there, but I'd like to know what I need to get started ice fishing. I live in Northern Indiana, if that's any help. What I need to know is, what types of clothing, rods, tackle and other equipment I'd need. Also some tips on how to determine safe ice ( which I would assume is the MOST important thing to consider), would be much appreciated. 
                 Thanks to all who respond.
                       An honest Ice Newbie

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: True newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:36 PM »
Well True the first thing you have to do is get you a way to make a hole in the ice, and a can of peas.Now when you get the hole ready-make sure you get all the slush out of the top, then open the can of peas and spread them evenly all the way around the rim of the hole.Then you open a can of drink or thermos of coffee or something and then you wait for that first fish- when that first fish comes UP TO TAKE A PEA you kick him in the ice hole and then you have your first fish.
Welcome to the site-enjoy
Tom

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Ok, lets see if I can help here.  

List #1 Clothes
1.Good set long underwear
2.Few good pair of socks
3.Layer your clothing (you can always take clothes off if you get to warm, which is usually not a problem)!
4.Good wind breaker or rain suit to keep the wind from biting you all day.  I'm assuming that you don't want to spend a ton of money your first year and get a portable shanty).
5.Good Boots!!!  This may be the most important part of your suit.  I use Ice Kings, but there a lot of water proof boots out there that will work.
6.Gloves, hat.

List 2 Fishing equipment             I don't use tip ups so others will probably explain that
1.  Decent auger.  I have a 6 inch Mora and a 8 inch lazer.  Both are good brands but I would have to say that I favor my Lazer more because it seems to stay sharper longer.
2.Jigging poles.  I have a few Genz Rods as well as a few customs.  Just depends on what you want to fish for.  Just like Summer fishing they come in all shapes and sizes (from ultralights to medium and heavy action) for what you are going after.
3.Lures, Jigs, Bait.  I fish for Walleye and pan fish mostly so I tend to use smaller gear than the Salmon, Northern, and Musky fisherman out there.  #2 Swedish Pimples, Genz bugs, Genz Worms, Fatboys, Ratso's, Moon Jigs just to name a few.  Tip them with Wax worms or Minnows and you should be ready to go.
4.5 Gallon Bucket for gear
5.Ice Scoop for clearing your holes
6.If you are willing to spend the money on electronics I would recommend picking up a flasher.  I use the fl-8se and it has made a huge difference knowing if the fish are there or not.
7.6 pack of beer.  Just in case you need to celebrate a big fish.  18 pack if the fish aren't biting.

That should get you started.

Fish On
Smitty

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Newbie,Go down to the equipment sections and so some reading.You can get by as cheap as 50 bucks for everything ya need or spend thousands........Don't forget the peas.... ;D

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:52 PM »
well to start off with, get your wallet out! you will need to dress as if you were going to shovel snow for 8 hours in sub zero temps.
you will need a small rod that is pretty sensative, with a micro reel, I use the ones from my summer panfish rigs. you will also need very light ice line, 2 to 4 lb. test.  a small auger maybe 6 inch. and some ice jigs, maybe some teardrops or some swedish pimples for jigging. a small hook works well tipped with waxworms or maggots or minnows. you can also get a flasher if you have a couple of hundred dollars just lying around.

now for the ICE.
 you want clear ice that is at least 4 inches thick to be safe. stay away from white ice and frozen snow. you should take a friend with you if this is your first year, just remember to be safe, we lose alot of guys because of carelessness and stupidity. ALWAYS ALWAYS check your ice thickness as you go, it can change very fast and you won't even know it until it is too late! and remember all structure that is above the water/iceline holds heat and can make ice thinner, such things as, logs, cattails,docks, and so on.

welcome to the addiction, be safe and if you have any ?'s, do not hesitate to ask. there are no dumb ?'s, just dead fisherman.

if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:53 PM »
WELCOME, You found the right site to help with those questions...and meet some great people. Good luck and have a fun safe year

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:54 PM »
First of all....Welcome to the shanty. Secondly.....I'm gett'n up there too,but really enjoy ice fishing so age is not a problem,other than saying'I'm very careful walking on ice' up here we end up with lots of snow and it usually isn't a problem except for early and late ice---get yourself a pair of good cleats and don't take any chances. Warm clothes are a must..then you can stay longer and enjoy a very relaxing pastime.
  I'm not going to get into equiptment-this is better answered by someone in your area and will depend on what species you are targeting...do lots of reading on this forum, it is a great place to learn.
  I'm a chicken when it comes to ice (old body is probably not up to takin a bath in cold water} so I wait till I see a few younger guys out there. Use a bar to check ice thickness and if you can --get a young heavy guy to go ahead of you and do it  :roflmao:--just kidding.
I'll let some members from your area give you some advise (better than mine) but,good luck ,enjoy yourself, and always stay safe

Offline icenewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Thanks alot guys. Gonna do some research, but so far haven't found anything about the peas. Hmmmmmm? Could someone have been joshin' me? HAHAHAHA! Only been here a short time and I'm diggin' the humor! Think I've got the clothes part covered, now its on to the gear. Thanks again

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:30 PM »
an auger
a rod
some bait
 Then you will need to get your wallet out because you'll probably be hooked from the very first outing. :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:32 PM »
What part of IN are you from? I live in Waterloo.

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:36 PM »
My best advice is to read EVERY post on this forum.  Scroll through the different sections (including the section of your state) and you will be able to learn a TON in very little time.  Second advice, keep asking questions cuz someone will be on this site no matter what time of day! ;D
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:41 PM »
Thats waht i love about this site compared to other forums. The replies are way faster and usually alot more! So I always find out what i asked!

Thanks Everyone!
-Jordan
$~I'd Rather be FISHING right now~$

~IcE FiShErMeN wAlK oN wAtEr~

"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is!" -Ricky Bobby

Offline icenewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:00 PM »
gruntngrin, I live just north of Ft Wayne. And BTW, I LOVE the avitar. Even after Sunday.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:20 PM »
welcome aboard!!!!!!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Thanks alot guys. Gonna do some research, but so far haven't found anything about the peas. Hmmmmmm? Could someone have been joshin' me? HAHAHAHA! Only been here a short time and I'm diggin' the humor! Think I've got the clothes part covered, now its on to the gear. Thanks again
Dont forget a GOOD! set of ice cleats.It`d be no fun ice fishin if Ya took a spill and busted Your head open. :wacko: :icefish: :)

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Well, you can find most ofwhat you need scattered throughout this thread nad in the equipment forum. The best thing I can offer you is find someone who knows what their doing, and learn as much as you can fishing from them! Offer to pay for bait or gas or beer, and you'll figure out what you need However, that said, if the guy you're fishing with doesn't catch anything but mudpuppies, find someone else who catches some green trout!"

The real neccesities are:

Jigging rod, I'd go with a light action to be versatile. Spool that up with 4lb test.
Swedish Pimple and Hali Jigs. Maybe some jigging raps. A few different sizes and colors. Ask the shop guy what works for perch, pickerel, crappie, and trout.
Buy a few tipups if you want, I like Polar tipups. There's info on here to on how to rig them, make sure you read that so you know what to buy.
A hand auger. I'd reccomend a Nils Master 6". Its expensive, and will run you about 100 bucks, but if you can afford it, its the best option for you. Read up on them so you know how to treat them right.
A scoop, so you can get the slush out of the hole once you drill it. Make sure its not bigger than the hole.
You'll need something to get everything out to the ice in, I reccomend a sled like the jet sled, or you can mkae your own/buy kid's sled.
Buy some spikes to tip your jigs, and get some minnows to tip jigs and put on your tipups. You'll need a bait bucket.

Clothing, Dress warm, like you would for any other major cold weather activity. I wear athletic pants that are water resistant over my jeans, they keep me dry when I'm drilling holes. Wear very warm boots, and have some good socks.

I hope that could help, I know I'm missing a good amount, and I didn't even touch techniques. I hate to seem like I don't want to help, but there's so much to soak up from this site. Just go and read as much of this as you can.

If you ever want to know something, just ask.

-Wes

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:02 PM »
just come fishing with me, i'll teach you all there is to know about ice fishing for panfish, i'll also take you to sportsmans and show you what to get.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:42 AM »
welcome to the club. it's obvious your insane if you want to icefish! that makes it more fun. now, first get an auger, a jigging rod, and a skimmer and your set. than get out your wallet, because thats when the fun starts. actually, this sport is great for making some of your own gear. good luck! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline beefytheroadrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:15 PM »
i know im not real close but when we get good ice back you are more than welcome to come out with me. just let me know. im in crown point. and before you go out please get a heavy spud bar, could save your life. WELCOME TO THE SPORT!
when hell freezes over i'll ice fish it too!

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Thats waht i love about this site compared to other forums. The replies are way faster and usually alot more! So I always find out what i asked!
Thats because most of the guys on here spend more time on this site than doing other things...like, lets say work. ;D

Newbie - You'll find tons of great advice on this site and plenty of humor. If someone gives you flak, just let it go...otherwise it will turn into a 20 page thread about politics that will in turn spawn another thread about what guy was right that will spawn another thread with two guys hugging over flags and a twelver of Old Milwakee! Good to have you aboard!

Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:45 PM »
welcome to the site, you'll learn lots. 
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Welcome, I think your best bet would be to get some really good boots and clothes. Then find someone close by that will let you fish with them. Then you can figure out what you will need to be a good ice fisherman. Remember less is more.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:14 PM »
here's my list of gots to have it"s:

8 inch mora auger.
ice scoop.
ultralight rod with 2-3 pound test.
medium action rod with 6 pound test.
5 gallon bucket to hold your rods and ice scoop.
assortment of panfish jigs and a few walleye and crappie jigs.
a propane lantern.  ( you can use this as a heat source too. )

all of this should cost you less 125 bucks, depending on what rods and reels you get.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:27 AM »
new guy has to buy the beer!!!!! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:07 AM »

and the brats too!  beer and brats what a great combination!! ;D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Welcome to the insanity! You're going to have a great time learning this sport. The key ingredient here is "fun".
For panfish you'll need an assortment of teardrop jigs in color patterns that include dark green, red, and white. I also look for jigs with white eyes that have the black dot in the middle. Fish key in on eyes. As mentioned above get a mid priced spinning ultralight (about a 24") rod with 2 lb. line to start. For bait always bring the standard which will be spikes (red and white), mousies, and waxworms.
Learn to watch your line. Most bites are very light. You may notice your line going very slightly slack or moving across the hole a just a little. Occasionally they will hit hard and there's no missing that.
Mostly go out there expecting to have fun!
It's an extremely great bunch of folks hanging out on this site so you can also expect us to poke some fun at you as well.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline cp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:09 AM »
i dont know how nobody hasnt mentioned this but get yourself some ice spikes, or a set of screwdrivers tied together so you can get out of the water if you fall in...they could save your life....for gear, check out cabelas bargain cave, there is ice rod/reel combos for 15 bucks in there or go to ebay and theyres guys selling 6 ice rods for 60 bucks...

Offline BIGPAPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:15 AM »
and drill the first 20 holes ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.