Author Topic: Do you prefer black or white backing on tipups ???  (Read 1263 times)

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do you prefer black or white backing on tipups ???
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Just purchased a few new tip ups and some came spooled with the white backing..  I have always prefered the black.. dont know why maybe that what was on the first tip ups given to me by a friend when I was just starting out ice fishing. I think the black stands out more on the ice when playing a fish so its easier to handle if you got a big fish pulling line back . I was watching a youtube video of a fish underwater aproaching a bait and the guy didnt have a long leader and the white backing stood out a lot. That video taught me to use longer leaders like 6 or 8 feet. This year I am switching to flourocarbon leaders instead of ice line.Any preference to black or white backing and why... thanks for your thoughts or opinions

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do you prefer black or white backing on tipups ???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:11 PM »
Sometimes 6 or 8' is not long enough. When I am fishing for lake trout, I prefer leaders at least 15' long and longer!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:26 PM »
I have black line on most of mine, and I have no real reason for having it except thats what I have always used. The 2 tip ups I have white line on are good for using on lakes where the fish just sit there after talking bait so you can tell tright away which direction they are but other than that I can't think of any detrimental reason why one would be better than the other.As said leader lengths are a more important factor IMO.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:08 PM »
I use green. I also use about 5 to 10 ft leaders and catch lake trout with no prob. It might work better but the lake I fish I haven't seen a difference.
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:12 PM »
 Never seen them with white backing before, but i have seen them with orange, i like black because after you bring up a fish its easy to see it the snow so you are not gettin tangled in it
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:18 PM »
I prefer black only because it's easy to see on the snow. Color doesn't make a difference,last few years I have seen guys with white,green,brown,yellow backing line and they all had luck.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I use green spot Dacron. I think it really doesn't matter what color you use in most waters. Use whatever color you have the most faith in.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:47 PM »
I use black spot Dacron it's white with black spots. Only because thats what I use on my Cod rods when I respool them it's used for the ice 6-8 ft leaders of fluorocarbon and your set

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:14 PM »
I use green and black, but an old timer once told me he uses white because it blends in with the ice above.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.