Author Topic: new model clam scout  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
new model clam scout
« on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Thinking about picking up a clam scout.  Any one have one and can give feed back would be great.  Pros and Cons!   How do they pull threw the snow??

Thanks
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline Chad Peterson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: new model clam scout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Nice shelters and they will pull though snow if your walking out. If your pulling it with a sled or four wheel it will fill up with some snow. They are light enough for you to strap it on the back of your sled or wheeler.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Smitty sled and no problems
I loaded the home made pop up on the sled this week and it moves like a dream

SnoHam13

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Here is a shot of my scout fully loaded on my smitty sled.  I love my scout, I own 4 other huts and always enjoy the scout the most

Reflex insulation, LED Lights, Boat seat, drink holder, 12 volt power outlets, walking off the ice lights, shelf, rod holders,  tackle storage under the seat, auger holder, foam rubber in the tub, skies under the tub,  ( made it pull a lot better just adding them even on ice with hardly any snow)  Im sure I forgot something

Yep LOVE my scout!

Offline begs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:39 PM »
I just pulled my new scout tc big mouth out for the first time by and in 3" of snow on the ice and it pulled like a dream, I do pack light havent pulled it with the gas auger yet but hey whats another 45lbs. (jiffy model 30) im 5'10" 166lbs and it is plenty roomy, just wish the sled was a bit longer to help with packing....I would buy another one in a heart beat Love it

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2013, 06:57 AM »
Smitty sled will definitely help!!!!!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Here is a shot of my scout fully loaded on my smitty sled.  I love my scout, I own 4 other huts and always enjoy the scout the most

Reflex insulation, LED Lights, Boat seat, drink holder, 12 volt power outlets, walking off the ice lights, shelf, rod holders,  tackle storage under the seat, auger holder, foam rubber in the tub, skies under the tub,  ( made it pull a lot better just adding them even on ice with hardly any snow)  Im sure I forgot something

Yep LOVE my scout!

No disco ball? ;D

Offline NYJigger72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Gonna steal your shelf idea. Lol
I have the same insulation works great with my small sportcat heater
Tight lines everyone

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Just putting my new Scout EXP (big mouth) together. Looks like it will have plenty of room. One thing I did notice is the seat and brackets weigh 13 lbs. Might try the shelf thing myself. The whole thing (with the seat in weights 50lbs... without the seat and bracket 37lbs. I had 3 back surgeries in a 8 week period the last one was Jan. this year and the old back will never be the same. So "LIGHT" is the way I need to go if I want to ice fish. I will let y'all know how it works.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:47 AM »
Putting your flipover up on the smitty keeps the skirt on your flipover from getting chewed up from pulling it. After dragging my Yukon around for 8 years the skirt is looking pretty crappy.

Offline icerink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Does the new Clam Scout (non thermal) have a black interior this year?

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:23 PM »
yep so does the scout exp thats why i bought a bigmouth thermal i have no luck with the black crap staying on

Offline icerink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I have a 99 Fish Trap that was my Dad's that has served me well, but is showing some wear. Ready to pull the trigger on a new 1 man and was ready to get a Scout or Commando. Looking for light weight. Commando is 10 lbs heavier but don't like the reports on the black interior on the Scout. What's a guy supposed to do ? (I have some old x-country skis but will hunt for downhill after snowstorm.)

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:56 PM »

My clam scout is not thermal and it is blue inside not black. I just bought it a week ago. Its a nice little shanty.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:45 AM »
I have a 99 Fish Trap that was my Dad's that has served me well, but is showing some wear. Ready to pull the trigger on a new 1 man and was ready to get a Scout or Commando. Looking for light weight. Commando is 10 lbs heavier but don't like the reports on the black interior on the Scout. What's a guy supposed to do ? (I have some old x-country skis but will hunt for downhill after snowstorm.)

You could just call Clam and order a new Thermal cover for like $120. Take the old one off and replace with new. My friend and his father just bought 2 new ones and are very happy with the Thermal over the Blue denier cover. It also has a front door and some windows. But the black inside makes it hard to see your line.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:21 PM »

No disco ball? ;D

Ha!   No,  If it would help to catch fish I would have one

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:21 PM »
The Scout is hands down my favorite shelter!

It fishes fast.  No telescoping poles.  Light weight, pulls easily and is a great all around sled for transporting your gear.

The price is very fair too!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:19 PM »
I have a clam scout, but I don't use it much; ever since I bought an Otter Lodge, it just stays in the garage. A buddy of mine has a big frabil w a bench seat, and him and I were walking off of the ice last year together, and I asked to pull his frabil. It pulled as easily as my scout, because we were on ice w no snow. 99% of the time here in iowa, we have no snow on the lakes, so I opt for the Otter w the bench seat. It's tough to have too much room. I like the scout, for if I want to put it in my car, but once u go w a big otter, there is no looking back. I also bought a 4 wheeler this year, so snow wont prob make me pull out the scout either. I have the model w the thermal cap. You can look on Craigslist and find nice older otter lodges for $300-400

Buy a suit that floats you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.