The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Super Duper Mille Lacs BS Thread!  (Read 64088 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Super Duper Mille Lacs BS Thread!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Bring extra clothes.... ;D Boy is it cold out there! It's the stuff that burns your face as soon as you step out.

It looks like snow and a climb into the single digits is in store for friday, you may be in luck.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=56353

What part of the lake is KJ's shacks on?

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:26 AM »
iowahardwater  I'll be up there on Thursday, also wondering if the bite has been any good.  We are staying at Hunters Point.  Where are you from in Iowa?

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:46 AM »
I'm down in the Des Moines metro!  We'll be packing extra clothes for sure!  Looks a bit chilly!  It's our first time ever chasing 'eyes through the ice, so we'll see how it goes!

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:58 AM »
We are staying at Hunters Point and driving a orange Chevy avalanche, if you see us stop by and say hi.  Good luck to you guys!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mille Lacs Fish House Rental
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Hey fellas,
A friend and I want to make a trip to Mille Lacs and rent a house for 3 or 4 days.  Never been there and was wondering it you guys could share any info or thoughts on outfitter for fish houses.  Thanks so much!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mille Lacs Fish House Rental
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Sorry guys wrong area to post this maybe.  my bad.  jumped the gun maybe....

Been searching but any input appreciated. Thanks

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I just merged it into this thread. You should find plenty of help here.

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:03 PM »
I'm going up with Iowa hard water so we will let you know how kjs is on Sunday

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Thank Skipper sorry for the SFAFU.

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Bring extra clothes.... ;D Boy is it cold out there! It's the stuff that burns your face as soon as you step out.

It looks like snow and a climb into the single digits is in store for friday, you may be in luck.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=56353

What part of the lake is KJ's shacks on?
[/quote

South west side of the lake.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I just googled KJ's...

It looks like he is on Rocky Reef or at least in that general area. Lots of really great rock and gravel in that part of the lake to fish. Unfortunately, he is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOONG way from the mudflats. You can always hop on 169 and go out of the Indian Reservation or up to the South Garrison ramp to get easy access to the mud. If the bite is worthless on the gravel, that would be the first place I'd go.

Consider buying a GPS and a chip... Only crafty old launch captains can find some of those flats out in the middle.

Avoid crowds   

KJ's has a 10x48 shack with a full bar, 15 holes, and will sleep 12..... :o :o :o :o WOW!

I've only met him at the ice show a couple times, seemed like he was a nice enough guy.

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:07 AM »
I just googled KJ's...

It looks like he is on Rocky Reef or at least in that general area. Lots of really great rock and gravel in that part of the lake to fish. Unfortunately, he is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOONG way from the mudflats. You can always hop on 169 and go out of the Indian Reservation or up to the South Garrison ramp to get easy access to the mud. If the bite is worthless on the gravel, that would be the first place I'd go.

Consider buying a GPS and a chip... Only crafty old launch captains can find some of those flats out in the middle.

Avoid crowds   

KJ's has a 10x48 shack with a full bar, 15 holes, and will sleep 12..... :o :o :o :o WOW!

I've only met him at the ice show a couple times, seemed like he was a nice enough guy.

Hey!

Thanks for the information!  Since it's our first trip we are a little in the dark about the lake.  We looked at several different locations to stay with, KJ's just fit the bill for us!  And yes, their big shack w/ the bar looks pretty darn neat!

I'm hoping we end up having some luck and if not, we'll be out drilling holes and seeing what we can find.  I think we have 11 of us going, hopefully there will be more than one gas auger (which is mine!), so I can get some fishing done instead of drilling all day!

I'm just concerned that I might need an extension for it!  I should probably measure how long the shaft is to see if it's even going to work!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I made it through no prob last weekend... but it has been sub zero since. If I had to guess, I'd say you'd still get through with a standard shaft on a Jiffy or Strikemaster. I really can't promise. If you have a spud bar, you can always use that to finish the hole. I really think you'll be fine though. Ive never needed an extension before mid February before. Reed's Sports on the corner of 169 and 27 on the south-west side of the lake should have an extension (or spud bar) in a pinch. They will be VERY close to where you are staying.   

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Skipper!

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mille Lacs/ Mille Lacs
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Coming from nebraska for 5 days of serious hardwater action on mille lacs in mid febuary.  Looks like a massive lake.  Does anyone know if we will need auger extensions?  This will be my first time fishing the hardwater in Minnesota, I cant believe you guys drive vehicles on the ice!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:41 PM »
24"-26" of ice this morning.. I'd say Bring it...
Hard Ice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:43 PM »
I agree.... by feb, you're gonna need one. You could drive a semi across that lake most years!

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Well, we made the trip up and made the trip back on the icy roads.  I think the front that pushed through on Friday caused us some terribly tough fishing.  Of the two sleeper shacks we had, there were 4 walleye and 2 perch caught.  We were using a variety of live bait and lures and just had very little luck. 

The people we went through weren't too bad, the bathroom stuff didn't get cleaned out until it was about too late.  I feel bad for the poor guy who had to take care of that mess!

We ended up with two keeper walleye, kept the two perch and had two overs.  One measured 19" and then we had a 25.5" hit the rattle reel at about 2 AM Sunday morning.

Overall it was a good trip.  We never made it out with our own ice houses but that was because we didn't know the lake and the people at the bait shops weren't incredibly helpful, which was a bit of a let down.

I think we'll go again next year, just not sure who we will go through.  Thanks for all the info guys!

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:56 AM »
We got to drive on those crappy roads back to Iowa as well, makes it a little longer of a drive.  We ended up fishing on a sand bar around 2 mile and ended up with 6 eyes - 17 1/4,17 1/2, 18,  20, 22, and a 24"  No perch though, I was seeing them on my camera but weren't interested in anything I tried.  All in all our trip was good too just wished the fishing would of been a little better.  It was a good time though.

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM »
We got to drive on those crappy roads back to Iowa as well, makes it a little longer of a drive.  We ended up fishing on a sand bar around 2 mile and ended up with 6 eyes - 17 1/4,17 1/2, 18,  20, 22, and a 24"  No perch though, I was seeing them on my camera but weren't interested in anything I tried.  All in all our trip was good too just wished the fishing would of been a little better.  It was a good time though.

Glad to hear you guys had some luck as well.  How deep of water were you in?  We were sitting about 1.5 miles from shore, 23-25 ft of water.  I was glad we ended up w/ the 16 1/2 and a 16 3/4 so we could take some walleye home.  The lake has a large slot!

We never saw a whole lot on the camera besides my cell phone, a rod holder that my brother lost (still not sure how), and a pepsi bottle that fell in the middle of the night! 

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:22 PM »

What outfit did you guys go through?

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Ouch, sucks you lost your cell to the lake!  We were in 30' of water and went through Nittis Hunters Point.  I was really happy with them and would use them again.  Back here in Iowa the temps are 57 degrees this morning with rain.  It's supposed to get cold for a couple days but not sure I'll risk trying to go out this weekend.

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Ouch, sucks you lost your cell to the lake!  We were in 30' of water and went through Nittis Hunters Point.  I was really happy with them and would use them again.  Back here in Iowa the temps are 57 degrees this morning with rain.  It's supposed to get cold for a couple days but not sure I'll risk trying to go out this weekend.

What part of the lake was that on and did they have rattle reels in the houses?

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:02 PM »
We were about a 1/2 mile out I believe, just a little south of the Hunters Point Resort.  Yes the house was equipped with rattle reels just tied small hooks on them with a split shot and set them about 6" off the bottom.  I think we caught 2 of the 6 total Walleye on the rattle wheels.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:06 PM »
http://blogs.twincities.com/outdoors/2013/01/27/mille-lacs-walleye-harvest-quota-cut-in-half/

A friend sent me this link today... looks like the Band and the State are cutting their quota in half! :o

People who thought the slots were tight before, wait till spring! I've never really looked at the lake as a grocery pit anyway, I fully support it. If a few guys who feel the need to fill coolers stay away, I'm cool with that too. If the "average angler" can't figure out how to release the fish fish caught out on the flats when the water is warm, you can watch for an August closure too. Bone heads don't care if the fish dies after release, this is a big part of it I'm sure.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:05 AM »
I think it's a good thing, It's a great lake and I'm sure everyone wants to keep it that way.

Offline bee69camaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Well, we made the trip up and made the trip back on the icy roads.  I think the front that pushed through on Friday caused us some terribly tough fishing.  Of the two sleeper shacks we had, there were 4 walleye and 2 perch caught.  We were using a variety of live bait and lures and just had very little luck. 

The people we went through weren't too bad, the bathroom stuff didn't get cleaned out until it was about too late.  I feel bad for the poor guy who had to take care of that mess!

We ended up with two keeper walleye, kept the two perch and had two overs.  One measured 19" and then we had a 25.5" hit the rattle reel at about 2 AM Sunday morning.

Overall it was a good trip.  We never made it out with our own ice houses but that was because we didn't know the lake and the people at the bait shops weren't incredibly helpful, which was a bit of a let down.

I think we'll go again next year, just not sure who we will go through.  Thanks for all the info guys!
What bait shop?

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mille lacs agate bay help needed
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:25 PM »
My wife has friends  from work that have a house out of agate bay and when they found out we ice fished  they invited us up there for the weekend.  Now I'm not intereseted in secret lures or honey holes...just basic lure requirements and strategies.  I'm a pike and gill guy...usually don't fiddle with walleye, but I figured I'd take a stab since they're willing to put us up for he weekend and fish out of the 10x18 shack.  I'm thinking rattle reels at night with minnows...but what kind do they like.  A little guidance would be helpful.  Pm me if you want it to remain private.  Pics of jigs might be helpful...and I also heard there is a slot limit...going to have a little research to do before next weekend.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Pipe

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:58 PM »
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/millelacs.html

Here are the current regs... and yes, they check, and no, they have no sense of humor.... :-\

Best jigs IMO are the macho minnow and buck shot rattle spoon.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Skipper, when your out in a sleeper what minnows do walleye like to eat on rattle reels?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.