Author Topic: ATV Tire Chains  (Read 16936 times)

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV Tire Chains
« on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:19 PM »
   I was wondering if anyone has had the problem of the tire chains on the rear tires slapping against the fenders over 15 miles an hour. I just bought my dad's old atv(2003 Honda Foreman 450 4x4) and he always had this problem. He said that he let half the air out of the tires to install the chains nice and tight, but this didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ATV Tire Chains
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Do you have spreaders on them, I have a set on my polaris they do not hit at all.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:30 PM »
My dad kept his chains for his new atv, I have to get my own, but I don't want to get the ones like he has if they are gonna slap.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I've used bungee cords on the outside part of the chains to pull them tighter before. It worked really well.  Tried a turn buckle to tighten thm up this year but I still perfer the bungee cords.

Offline Pete379

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I use bungee cords as well, they work the best, just be sure to get the chains as tight as you can before you put the bungees on and you wont have any trouble. Always make sure when you first put the chains on run it a little and re tighten them.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.  ~William Sherwood Fox

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I use the bungees as well to tighten the chains but I also use a plastic wire tie to attach the extra links to the rest of it. If they are loose they will slap. When you are done just clip them...

I love my chains... makes a big difference.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll try the bungees. I just hope I can get my dad(hardhead) to use them too before he ruins the fenders on his new machine. lol.

Offline Greenz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll try the bungees. I just hope I can get my dad(hardhead) to use them too before he ruins the fenders on his new machine. lol.

I have had chains and carbine studs.  The chains always seamed to slap or loosen up But I never tried the zip tie idea.  The studs are by far the best But cost a lot more.
Fishing, Flyfishing and Bowhunting!!
Not here for a long time just a good time!!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:29 AM »
have to agree, sounds like the chains were not tight enough, bungee them to keep the slop to a minimum at speed.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2008, 10:34 AM »
I got an 08 Honda Rubicon this summer and was just wondering about the differences in chains?  Theres vbar,2link,4link arctic ones.  What type have you guys had good luck with?  Im only gonna run them early glaze ice.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Haven't tried them on ATV's, but i use V-bar chains on my pick-up and have driven up hills covered in glare ice that I couldn't even walk up. The V's in each link give a super sharp edge that really penetrates the ice. Just my experience. It'd be nice to hear other peoples experience with their atv's, I'm buying one in a few weeks and will be looking to put chains on as well.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:24 PM »
chriscross 2 large zippy ties in the middle of each rear tire, that works good..

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:34 PM »
I use bungies too.  Get them tight then drive a little on them and retighten. That should do the trick. At least that works for me and I can drive my ATV wide open with them on.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2008, 10:28 AM »
I am planning on using my ATV for ice fishing but also pushing snow at home. I have a 1/4 mile to plow with a partial incline on a corner.

Question I have - Am I going to be needing chains on the front and back. I am looking at the price of the chains and they are not the cheapest. But if I need both I'll get both if not I could save around 70-90.00 since I would like to get the V-type chains. Also they have a 2 & 4 " V-type how much of a difference will each make.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I've never needed (or wanted) chains while plowing.  If you do use 'em - be careful.  It's really easy to do damage to your machine (over work it) when pushing snow with chains installed.
On the ice - I've used 'em on the rear only.  Get the 2-link ones.  They have twice as many cross links as the 4-link chains.  That's the meaning - a cross link for every 2, or 4, links on the side chain.
IMO - get one set of the 2-link chains for the rear and be careful if you use 'em while plowing.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2008, 11:48 PM »
Another vote here for bungiee cords. have been using them for over 10 years here and never had a problem. Gotta love bungees and duct tape, between the 2 you can fix anything.

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2008, 02:40 PM »
I just bought a 2008 Honda Foreman and absolutely love it.  The place I purchased it said I only needed rear chains - is this true?  One other question, since I see that there are a few types of chains please let me know which one you would recommend.  Silly me thought they were all pretty much the same.

Thanks for the good advice so far on this thread.

David

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2008, 04:37 PM »
I just bought a 2008 Honda Foreman and absolutely love it.    One other question, since I see that there are a few types of chains please let me know which one you would recommend.  Silly me thought they were all pretty much the same.

Thanks for the good advice so far on this thread.

David

I bought a 2006 Honda Foreman Rubicon and also can't say anyting bad about it. My dad has 2 foremans and after using his new what I was going to get. I did a little checking on the types of chains out there. 2 of them are just the regular chains and then the v-type 2" or 4". The v-type has more gripping the 2" and 4" is just how far apart the chain is across the tread. The question I think is how much gripping is required onn the ice going across the lake. If I was just to use mine for ice fishing I would probably go with the plain jane, But I am planning on using mine for plowing also. I am thinking on holding off on the chains until I know for sure I will be needing them. Since the v-type run around 50.00 for the 4" and 85-95.00 for the 2". Regular chains you can get for around 40-55.00.

I did a find under ATV TIRE CHAINS and found out a lot about them.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2008, 04:12 PM »
When I researched info about chains for my quad everything that I foound said to only run chains on the back. If there were on the front you could cause some damage.

Offline Fishin Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I suport PETA.. People Eating Tasty Animals
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:49 PM »
I have to agree. Front chains can take out stuff like break lines, I have a 2001 Kodiak and was told not to put front chains on. Just my thoughts

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2008, 01:56 PM »
doesnt look like they help in this picture!

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:27 PM »
How did that work for you. Did you go head over heels

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2008, 09:04 PM »
wasnt me   just found it after reading about chains  lol   was a picture of antartica

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:16 PM »
doesnt look like they help in this picture!

(Image removed from quote.)

I see you've traveled some...In more ways than one brother!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:45 AM »
I see you've traveled some...In more ways than one brother!
very much so   :) I greet thee

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:38 AM »
interesting pic.i didn't know Honda made a big red 4 wheeler,big red was a 3 wheeler.i know their new utv is called big red.

Offline herb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:44 AM »
From what I've read so far everyone is saying chains on the rear only. Maybe this doesn't matter but I have to ask anyway, I have a 94 yamaha big bear 350 with full time 4wheel drive. Would you still say chains on the rear only?
thanks

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:56 AM »
From what I've read so far everyone is saying chains on the rear only. Maybe this doesn't matter but I have to ask anyway, I have a 94 yamaha big bear 350 with full time 4wheel drive. Would you still say chains on the rear only?
thanks

Chains on the front can be bad news. You have more of a chance of breaking something.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:59 PM »
MY EXPERIENCE WITH CHAINS IS IF THEY ARE MADE PROPERLY AND SIZED CORRECTLY TO THE TIRES THEY ARE GOING ON THERE WILL ONLY BE ABOUT TWO INCHES OF LOOSE CHAIN AT THE CONNECTING POINT AND THIS CAN BE SECURED WITH A FEW WIRE TIES,  AGAIN IF THEY FIT PROPERLY THEY WILL WRAP THE SIDES OF THE TIRE AND SHOULD NOT REQUIRE  CROSS TIES AND BE TIGHT TO THE TIRE.
IF YOUR GOING TO BE PUSHING SNOW ON CONCRETE FORGET THE CHAINS, THEY WORK WELL IN FROZEN GROUND AND ICE BUT SUCK ON CONCRETE.
IF I CAN GET A GOOD PHOTO OF MINE I WILL TRY TO POST IT.

RAYMAN54

Offline NHRenegade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I have used v-bar chains on all four tires of my 2WD wheeler for years with no problems....much easier to turn with some traction up front.  I bought some studs to put in a second set of tires which I prefer when the ice surface is clear but the chains help a ton in the snow.  I know several people with 4WD wheelers that use chains on only the front wheels or all four.  Like anything, you just need to pay attention (and take it a little slower with the chains- no donuts!).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.