Author Topic: 2up snowmobile or single  (Read 6505 times)

Offline back2backcrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
2up snowmobile or single
« on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Hi All
I've seen a lot of pics of people with great snowmobile ideas for storage, racks for auger, sleigh ideas, what have you. But the one thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lower percentage of 2up snowmobiles than single.
Traveling with friends who have a snowmobile is probably preferred but that may not be the case for everyone.

What do you prefer having a 2up snowmobile or single?

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2up snowmobile or single
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:18 AM »
If it's primarily for ice fishing, 2-up all the way for me. You get a longer track, more room on the seat, just about all of them have a cargo rack already, and nice tall windshields.

I think most people just use their trail sleds for ice fishing ( i know I did for years), most trail sleds are sporty short track's, which is why you see so many single sleds on here.

I was actually looking for an old fan cooled 2-up Skandic or Touring model last winter, but the tundra came up for a price I couldn't refuse.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:13 AM »
I would rather have a two up. My last one was a GTX 600 two up and before that a Grand Touring 500 two up. Just the extra money to go up to the Tundra Lt 550 was enough to get me to buy the Tundra Single 300. Most of the guys have an Atv or sled so riding two up isn't necessary for me much anymore. For the times my son goes out with me I can stand the short distance. Lots of sleds are comming with long tracks now as 136" seems to be a standard these days.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline back2backcrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Thx for the input
My fishing trips has always been either walk on or if little snow drive on with the truck.
Decided to pick up a used bravo st this year and now I'm rethinking my decision.
Most of the places I go to are usually no more than 30 minutes walk so hauling everyones gear by snowmobile while they walk is great but now I think a 2up would have been a better choice.

ravinerat
I really like your setup. Especially the auger rack. Looks like you put a lot of thought into.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:53 PM »
Does the Bravo not have a seat long enough for two?  Mine is a single but I just stand when my son rides out with me. Just think since your driving out and hauling everyone's gear you'll already have a fish on the ice by the time they get out there. don't for get they haven't really changed the brove since the mid 80's. It's a good ice fishing sled. Nice and light. My buddy has a 2006 Brovo and goes everywhere with it.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline back2backcrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:22 PM »
The bravo is a short track so not much room. Yeah I like the idea of being on fish first.
I'll see how the season goes.
Thx

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 10:02 PM »
b2bcrappie -

I have both types that I use for ice fishing.  Both Polaris 550's, one a single and the other a two-up.  Bought the two-up first to used for ice fishing and an occasional trail ride.  The following year, the wife demanded one of her own, so I got the single. 

I have used both ice fishing.  I have put a hitch on both which helps towing tag sleds.  I put a basket on the two-up from dealer, and the added an extra rack on top of that.  Both tracks are studded which helps on the frozen snow and ice.
The two-up is primarily a trail sled, and so does not do very well in deep, ungroomed powder.  It is bigger, and heavier than the single.  It is harder to handle when fully loaded, but it carries a lot of gear, and pulls heavy loads if needed.

I've seen a lot of folks build some custom racks for their singles, but I have concentrated on reducing what I carry so that it fits in one jetsled xl or Shappell Rover, and then either sled works just fine. 

The best advantage of having a two-up is being able to easily carry an extra fisherperson who can then help you get unstuck, or help you fish!

MD

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:31 AM »
The best sleds for ice fishing are the utility sleds like a Polaris Wide track or Arctic Cat Bearcat.  For those who insist on buying imports there is the Ski Doo Scandik and Tundra and Yamaha's Viking.  The Tundra is  a lightweight go antwhere sled that can easily be loaded into a pickup.  The rest are heavy,  wide track work machines with low range for pulling a shack on or off the ice.  They have underseat storage and racks for carrying gear and the seat is big enough for two people. 
  As for sport or touring sleds a 2up has the advantage of a stronger suspension for carrying people or gear.  The long track on a 2up is nice but longer tracks are standard on many  of the newer single rider sport sleds,  especially those designed for powder and off trail use.  I'm still using my single seat 2000 Polaris XC600. It is equipped with a rack and tow hitch and does the job but I am saving for a new machine next year,  a Polaris Wide Track IQ.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:41 AM »
I wouldn't mind a two up at all for ice fishing but I'd rather have my formula for trail riding and ditch banging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.