Author Topic: UTV's anyone run em?  (Read 8214 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
UTV's anyone run em?
« on: Nov 25, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Been looking at the Polaris Ranger 800XP Or 800 HD with tracks UTV's. Hard Enclosed Top.

Anyone own one or know anything about them?

JIGGIN.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: UTV's anyone run em?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2009, 05:12 PM »
All I know is those are really nice machines and that they cost as much as a nice 4WD pickup.  I don't know if I'd drive a vehicle of that value on the ice.  :unsure:

Offline Erie addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I have a couple of buddies that are running the Polaris razor and 2 more that are using the Yamaha Rino. Both are nice units, the Razor is more popular around here because of the 50"max width on the trails for summer. Rinos have the true front diff lock which is better in serious mud.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Yes.  I drive my Ford Ranger on the ice.

MD

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:10 AM »
i use a rhino with tracks. pretty much will go through any conditions. i pull alot of atv"s out  that get stuck. only problem is you can"t register them. in n.y. anyway

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:59 PM »
i use a rhino with tracks. pretty much will go through any conditions. i pull alot of atv"s out  that get stuck. only problem is you can"t register them. in n.y. anyway
Why can't you register UTV's in NY??

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:03 PM »
they cant weigh more than 1000 lb in ny
Just enjoying life

Offline steamjockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:45 PM »
We run a Kawasaki Mule...the 4x4 gas job.   Love this thing!...Putting tire chains on the rears helps when things get slushy.  We run any where the regular ATVs run.  We have a once a year big fishing trip with about 12 to 18 guys of a week in Canada and we run the only UTV...The mule uses about 1/2 the fuel our buddys use in the ATVs.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:02 PM »
We run a Kawasaki Mule...the 4x4 gas job.   Love this thing!...Putting tire chains on the rears helps when things get slushy.  We run any where the regular ATVs run.  We have a once a year big fishing trip with about 12 to 18 guys of a week in Canada and we run the only UTV...The mule uses about 1/2 the fuel our buddys use in the ATVs.

That's what I'm looking for.
Good info, thanks!

JIGGIN.

Offline Ice Trooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I've got a Ranger 700 that I just put tracks on last week.  After running it around a little after a recent snow storm I think I'm truly going to enjoy them and I fully expect it's going to make the ultimate ice fishing machine for me. If you haven't checked out Polaris Ranger Club forums you should for some further opinions. 

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I got the John Deere 850 Gator Diesel. Have not used it for fishing trips but seriously thinking about it. No tracks, just chains for plowing my driveway. Sure goes many hours on a tank of diesel.

Offline redrooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:16 PM »
I wonder how much ice you would need under those things fully loaded (cab, gear,etc)?  8" at least?

Offline ChrisinSTJVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Here is mine it is an 07 XP. This was last year and the first time we really tryed it out as you can see there was quite a bit of snow 12" on the lake with a hard bottom no slush and it went everywhere. Not sure how good it would go with a foot of slush under the snow and it would probably be froze tight after stopping.Would love a set of tracks but they are expensive!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Very nice ChrisinSTJVT!

I've been looking at the Polaris Ranger XP or HD with tracks. Please let me know of the pros and cons regarding yours. What you would do different etc....I'm very interested.

I keep comparing them to the Argo so I'm torn. I like the Polaris for the room avail for all your gear but the Argo floats....still leaning towards the Polaris.

Thanks again,
JIGGIN.

Offline ChrisinSTJVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:02 AM »
"What you would do different etc...."
Tracks and I would love to fab up a flipover shanty that mounts rite to the bed. I also carry a large spare marine battery because the weak stock battery seems to lack a little when it is bitterly cold. Should probably hookup a dual battery and quit scewing around with it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Thanks ChrisinSTJVT!
Good info.

JIGGIN.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I have a Ranger 2007 700xp. Love it. Had no idea how good it was until I bought it. I chain it up on all 4 wheels for ice fishing and deep snow. put 4000 miles on in about 2 1/2 years so far with no issues.  regular oil changes and a drive belt every few thousand and keep going.I have had water over the hood.Loaded the bed with gravel till it's running out over the sides. Excellent rig.

Offline ChrisinSTJVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:39 AM »
Hey Bogman how are you getting the chains to clear the tierod ends and the strut spring? I noticed you have the nicer aluminum wheels where as I have the plain steel I wonder if that is it or are you running wheel spacers? I would like chains on the front as I think it would make a big difference pulling thru the snow.
Yeah I work the crap out of mine year round as well skidding,hauling firewood, hauling dirt, hunting, trail riding whatever and still amazes me what it will do. The belt like you said seems to be the weak link.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Hey Bogman how are you getting the chains to clear the tierod ends and the strut spring? I noticed you have the nicer aluminum wheels where as I have the plain steel I wonder if that is it or are you running wheel spacers? I would like chains on the front as I think it would make a big difference pulling thru the snow.
Yeah I work the crap out of mine year round as well skidding,hauling firewood, hauling dirt, hunting, trail riding whatever and still amazes me what it will do. The belt like you said seems to be the weak link.

I cut all the extra links off the inside where it hooks to the connector.The first season i did damage the tie rod boots and changed them.Pretty sure the front chains are narrower than the rears too so they run higher on the sidewall. It is a tight fit but makes a huge difference. I think the belt issue is not really that bad.I have a yamaha Grizzly that i chande at about the same interval. if i could get the kids to use low range when pulling a hill or running in deep snow it would last longer. 

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:40 AM »
did you need to put spacers on the front? I had to for my ATV cam am 800 and it makes a big difference.

JIGGIN.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:48 AM »
I have the kawasaki trans 4x4   if the snow wasnt bad Id think about taking it out on the lakes but havent yet   But I havent put it away actually  I keep bringing it out for running around the yard  It would need chains for sure!   but the locking differential on the rear end does make it nice!  I admit Im tempted to take it out  but if it gets stuck.... it is 1500 lbs
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:32 AM »
did you need to put spacers on the front? I had to for my ATV cam am 800 and it makes a big difference.

JIGGIN.

No wheel spacers. All stock. I put 27'' radials on it this summer and the tires will hit the front fenders when i bottom out so I think that may be the end of the front chains,Have not tried it yet. I really want tracks but have a few more things to pay off before i can get them.

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:21 PM »

I have the Ranger HD. It has the larger self leveling rear shocks so I had to add 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers to get the chains on the rear. That thing will plow and unbelievable amount of snow and slush even without chains on the front. The AWD in those things works awsome and so does the power steering.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:31 AM »
looks like you dont get much snow  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:23 PM »
looks like you dont get much snow  lol

I need to take a more recent picture. That was before the snows came and the ice formed.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »
retired,

would like to see the inside of that house

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:51 PM »
retired,

would like to see the inside of that house

Here is the inside as requested:

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:21 PM »
whats behind door number 1? I guess a bathroom of some sort?  What's a rough estimate of cost to build that? Did you do it yourself or buy it? Whats the weight of it?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Behind the door is just open space with a light. You can put anything you want in there. I put a porta-potty in there when the wife comes out to fish. I bought it. About $8,000 after taxes, registration, and licensing. It GVWR is at 2900 pounds. Not sure exactly what the weight of the house is by itself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.