Author Topic: cheap ramps-arctic cat  (Read 4796 times)

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
cheap ramps-arctic cat
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:09 PM »
anyone have any ideas for a cheap way to get my 4 -wheeler into the back of the truck?also i have a arctic cat 454 and it runs fine till it warms up good then it dies and you cant start it unless you wait about five-10 minutes then itll fire right up and run again for a little while.i have the fan on and it is in fairly cold weather any ideas?

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Re: cheap ramps-arctic cat
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Best way I have found to load my wheeler is to back up to something that is high enough to get the tire on the tailgate. Then just drive on. The problem is unloading and reloading you need high ground. I have a folding aluminum ramp that I use. I think I got it used for $45. I think they are around $100 new. I still like higher ground as it is pretty steep. Lean forward and go. Even with the chains on the ramp it goes right up. I never drive it off. Just pull it off and let gravity do its thing. I always use 2 straps to hook the ramp to the truck so it doesn't kick out. This link might give you some ideas. Good luck.

http://www.discountramps.com/aluminum-bifold-atv-ramps.htm

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:07 PM »
This past summer I needed a set of ramps. So I took an old 12' aluminum ladder cut in two. Then cut 2 hardwood boards same length about 8" wide atached to the ladder with self tapping screws. Then attached couple peices angle iron on the ends to set on tailgate also added cleats to boards so I wouldn't spin. On some of the artic cats they have a relay that can go bad when they warm up the contact seperates but I couldn't tell ya where its located.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:43 AM »
I USE A COUPLE OF OLD 2x12x7' WITH BRACKETS I MADE TO LAY ON THE TAIL-GATE, I HAVE SEEN SOME TYPE OF BRACKET SOLD FOR THE BOARDS AS WELL. IF YA' BUY ANYTHING NICE LOCK IT UP WHEN ITS IN BACK OF YOUR TRUCK OR THEY MAY WALK OFF.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:27 AM »
If I were making some inexpensive ramps, I would consider using a 2x8. You might add some 2x2s on the bottom for extra support. Add half inch ribs on top for tire traction.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I USE A COUPLE OF OLD 2x12x7' WITH BRACKETS I MADE TO LAY ON THE TAIL-GATE, I HAVE SEEN SOME TYPE OF BRACKET SOLD FOR THE BOARDS AS WELL. IF YA' BUY ANYTHING NICE LOCK IT UP WHEN ITS IN BACK OF YOUR TRUCK OR THEY MAY WALK OFF.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had a real nice set of alumium ramps and after a day of fishing they were gone......Its wasn't even windy that way but I guess they blew away.  Now I lock everything down.
;

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2009, 12:23 PM »
KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YA' MAKE THEM TOO NARROW OR TOO SHORT IT WILL BE HARDER TO GO UP THEM.   I WOULDN'T GO SHORTER THAN 7' OR NARROWER THAN 10".  ON A LOW TRAILER ITS NOT TOO BAD WITH SHORT RAMPS BUT GOING IN A PICK-UP YOU NEED SOME LENGTH, MORE SO IF MACHINE IS ONLY 2-WHEEL DRIVE.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,, :icefish:

Offline N3480H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:16 AM »
Ramps - I got a set of 7 foot folding aluminum arched ramps from discountramps .com for about $100 and they work fine.  Make sure you secure any ramps with a ratchet strap on each one.  I watched a kid have a bad day when one ramp kicked out.

Idle problem after 10 minutes - check your oil level.  If its low, the engine will heat up and not idle, even if its cold out.  Also make sure your battery has a good charge on it.  A loose carb or damaged intake gasket (after warm up) can also allow air in at the base of the carb, leaning out the mixture.  Might want to check the inline fuel filter if it has one - small particles can block fuel delivery.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:24 AM »
anyone have any ideas for a cheap way to get my 4 -wheeler into the back of the truck?also i have a arctic cat 454 and it runs fine till it warms up good then it dies and you cant start it unless you wait about five-10 minutes then itll fire right up and run again for a little while.i have the fan on and it is in fairly cold weather any ideas?

I made a set out of a 'junked" aluminum extension ladder.  They ended up about 7' long.  Cut 7' out of each ladder section, removed the ladder rungs from the remaining ladder peices (cut wooden dowels to fill those removed rungs and installed them in  between the rungs on the ladder sections to be used as ramps.  Makes for a great "cheap" lightweight set of ramps.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:49 AM »

Sounds like a bad coil  artic cat ,seperates when it get warm, had one do it on a cheeta!BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.