The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Drill Auger Suggestions  (Read 3830 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Drill Auger Suggestions
« on: Oct 31, 2018, 11:50 AM »
So I have a Nils 6 inch attached to a M18 Brushless fuel. Love the setup, HATED when my blades went bad one day last winter and it took 3 weeks to find a set of replacements. I also have a Jiffy Pro4 8 inch, love that it fires up every time, hate that the blades freeze up, and having used the Nils for 3 seasons HATE carrying the propane auger around. SO I am at a spot where I am going to get an 8 inch for the drill. Options are abundant so I am looking to get through the weeds. I love the nils, but dont want to dish out $250 and then have $130 replacement blades that are hard to find, and they are delicate. K-Drill has an 8 inch. looks cool and lighter than anything else, BUT its $250 and I have seen people with the 6" they look slow, and it seems people have to manually lift them every few seconds to kick out shavings from the hole, they dont self clear well from the looks. Then there is the cheap route Mora and some spare blades, or a lazer hand auger. I can afford any of the options, but really want a decent rig for a good price. I am not going to buy a clam plate as they completely defeat the purpose of using the drill to begin with IMO, making ur drill inoperable for other purposes (sinking anchors, making shelves in the shanty etc).
What should I do?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Drill Auger Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2018, 12:05 PM »
ht mini nero?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2018, 01:11 PM »
ht mini nero?
I was in the same boat but with an 8" Nils under an M18 Fuel. Hit some gritty ice one day and that was it for the Nils blades until I could get them sharpened. Sold the Nils and am

going with the Mini Nero this year as 3300 suggests. With a 6" bit you should be able to control it without the Clam plate. Get the Nero with the drill adaptor, not the hand auger.

I re-read your post. If you've got your heart set on an 8" auger without a Clam plate  be prepared for a rodeo. You can do it but you'll get bruised up and some wrist strains.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2018, 01:51 PM »
The 7" mora has the same hole diameter as an 8" k-drill (7.5"). I switched to a 7" mora last year and never had any issues. 7" mora augers can also take the 8" mora blades to cut a true 8" hole. The 8" mora is a true 8" cutting diameter.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2018, 02:10 PM »
i think lefty said the ht mini nero 7 is a 7.25 inch cut. if you get one do not use their auxiliary handle. just remove it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Put these on a 7 inch mora ?? Cheap blades & fast cutting like a nils.. if you get the lazer blades for it to..  but you got to think the blade new are 40 to 50 retail at cabelas..  but you can find good ones on ebay here and there for cheaper.. so take say $40 for blades add it to the adaptor that $70.. plus a mora auger thats $55 plus the $70 that's $125 right there..  plus adaptor for drill.. if it was me I would consider this only if your handy enough for  reworking the adaptors... 
There made of aluminum and the maker of them threaded the bolts into the aluminum..  which when drilling holes with the auger the threads will tare out for sure (soft aluminum) I almost lost my adaptor down the hole first use.. just a heads up!!  you need a drill  and bits and a few bolts and nylock nuts  to redo the adaptor..  but when finished they work and cut like a nils but are better cause there way cheaper..  you can pull pike threw the hole  cause its a 7 inch this is what I use now have for the last two years..  by the way blades to sharpen is around $7.50 locally  compared to $30 for sharpening and the shipping.. thus is the whole reason I went to this auger.. cause it make a large hole cuts like a nils and blade are cheap to sharpen.. here is link to the adaptor..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT-7-INCH/131116713483?hash=item1e872a460b:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

Or get a laser gas power head auger bit..  wich are sold seprate the power head.. this is if you are redrilling old holes??  I think they make a drill adaptor that's larger for these bits??  I think they run about $125 for the 7 inch power head bit??  Blades are about same price and add a centering point when dull..

I am thinking of buying a power head bit and adaptor..  but not sure if it will cut the same as a 8 inch laser with the ice breaking bars that lock up at bottom of hole??  Some one said they work good??  but it's s good way to break a wrist if it locks up I am thinking.. that's if attached to a good drill like the octane or the m18 fuel at 1200 to 1300 inch pounds..

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Some one said they work good??  but it's s good way to break a wrist if it locks up I am thinking.. that's if attached to a good drill like the octane or the m18 fuel at 1200 to 1300 inch pounds..

Hammer Drill WITH a handle will prevent any wrist breaking...

I welded up my own drill adapter out of some round stock and chopped up a hardened allen wrench and made my own adapter where the handle auger usually went.  I then carry as a backup... the lazer manual hand auger handle attachment snapped into some quickfists that are drill mounted inside my sled.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Last season I made the switch from an old tecumseh jiffy to an m18 and k-drill (8”) setup. I will admit it doesn’t cut as fast as a nils (at least compared to my buddies 6”), however the chipper blade is key for me. I like being able to drill out my old holes or drill tandem holes when I’m fishing lakers. I haven’t had to deal with blade changes yet (granted it has only been a single season) whereas friends with nils and moras went through at least one sharpening last season. The ice clearing lifts don’t bother me much but again I was used to that heavy ol jiffy. Anyhow, both setups are great, I don’t think you can go wrong honestly. 
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Hammer Drill WITH a handle will prevent any wrist breaking...

I welded up my own drill adapter out of some round stock and chopped up a hardened allen wrench and made my own adapter where the handle auger usually went.  I then carry as a backup... the lazer manual hand auger handle attachment snapped into some quickfists that are drill mounted inside

Was also worried about breaking the drills gear box  with the laser is why I don't want to go with it.. thanks for the idea on the quick fist! I am going to have to try to find some for that very reason..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Was also worried about breaking the drills gear box  with the laser is why I don't want to go with it.. thanks for the idea on the quick fist! I am going to have to try to find some for that very reason..
you bought a life time warranted drill. let it break if it can.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2018, 04:57 PM »
you bought a life time warranted drill. let it break if it can.

Ya your right guess I am used to my Hitachi drill lol's

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I am set on an 8 inch auger. I have a 6 nils that I use for hole hoping and jigging, but I like to target pike and lakers, so a 7 is a bit small for those purposes. 8 sometimes can be pushing it on a 40 inch pike, and the lake I trout fish has 20+ pounders in it (not that I have caught) so in the happen chance I have one on the line, I dont want the hole to be my limiting factor. The k-drill is 7.5, I really want to stick to that or bigger. I also do tend to re-drill holes, though usually more to rebore them to full size from a day of shrinking, not cutting a hole through a fully refrozen hole. I am using a m18 with 1200 inch pounds, not the hammer style as those are bad for the blades when run on hammer mode. If that nero was 8 inch it would be super appealing, but the goal really is to replace my 8 inch jiffy pro4 with the same size just losing weight.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2018, 04:48 PM »
I am set on an 8 inch auger. I have a 6 nils that I use for hole hoping and jigging, but I like to target pike and lakers, so a 7 is a bit small for those purposes. 8 sometimes can be pushing it on a 40 inch pike, and the lake I trout fish has 20+ pounders in it (not that I have caught) so in the happen chance I have one on the line, I dont want the hole to be my limiting factor. The k-drill is 7.5, I really want to stick to that or bigger. I also do tend to re-drill holes, though usually more to rebore them to full size from a day of shrinking, not cutting a hole through a fully refrozen hole. I am using a m18 with 1200 inch pounds, not the hammer style as those are bad for the blades when run on hammer mode. If that nero was 8 inch it would be super appealing, but the goal really is to replace my 8 inch jiffy pro4 with the same size just losing weight.

For lakers and pike why not just use a 6 inch??
Some people don't think abou this but
Three holes in a triangle shape and chip out middle with a spud that's if a 12 x12 hole is small enough for ya?? That way hole hop with the 6 and still be able to use for lakers??  BUT that up to you??  I put three holes in ice only when the fish are that big.. like pike and lakers and I will use my 7 inch for the three holes see my point!  Makes land a fish that much easier..

Offline Christmasclowns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I have the clam drill conversion and I just took an old spare Ryobi drill (they are a dime a dozen) and leave it hooked up the new lithium batteries last at least 20 holes it cal drill through 2ft if ice easy.
Pics or it didn’t happen...

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2018, 12:22 PM »
    If that nero was 8 inch it would be super appealing, but the goal really is to replace my 8 inch jiffy pro4 with the same size just losing weight.
Nero has put out an 8" version new this year.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I'm on the same set of original blades that came with my 6" lazer and have the DeWalt 20v brushless drill attached.
I've not had to sharpen those blades or replace them as of yet. I keep them covered when not in use, make sure I'm not drilling into ice that has junk embedded or junk just beneath it, but have drill into the occasional weed with no ill-effects.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:18 PM »

For lakers and pike why not just use a 6 inch??
Some people don't think abou this but
Three holes in a triangle shape and chip out middle with a spud that's if a 12 x12 hole is small enough for ya?? That way hole hop with the 6 and still be able to use for lakers??  BUT that up to you??  I put three holes in ice only when the fish are that big.. like pike and lakers and I will use my 7 inch for the three holes see my point!  Makes land a fish that much easier..

Not sure where you live, but setting 30 tip ups (2 peoples gear on champlain) would be 90 holes at 20 seconds a hole, add to that chipping the middle at like 1 minute a hole, and I'm spending over an hour just drilling before I start setting gear. for the occasional oh crap this fish is bigger than my 6 inch hole issue thats ok, but as a every hole every trip thing it wouldn't work.

sticky fingers where have you seen a 8 inch NERO? not listed on any website i have seen.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Not sure where you live, but setting 30 tip ups (2 peoples gear on champlain) would be 90 holes at 20 seconds a hole, add to that chipping the middle at like 1 minute a hole, and I'm spending over an hour just drilling before I start setting gear. for the occasional oh crap this fish is bigger than my 6 inch hole issue thats ok, but as a every hole every trip thing it wouldn't work.

sticky fingers where have you seen a 8 inch NERO? not listed on any website i have seen.

30 tip ups wow!! Were only allowed to use three according to michigan law unless you bring others wiht that have licence and are useing those tip ups.. that's why I was not aware of the use or need for 30 tip ups ??

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Yeah its pretty crazy. But on a nice 35 degree spring day with 4 guys out pike fishing there is nothing like it, non-stop action, blow through $100 in bait in an hour.

I see eskimo has a new drill auger called the pistol. Looks to be under 4 lb for the 8 inch bit, that seems incredibly light, under 10lb with a drill and 5ah battery. I know we are a bit early, but has anyone seen one in action? Only video I can find of it is some what seem to be drunk Canadians using one to drill into dirt (which it seemed to do impressively well) Price is around the Nils and the k-Drill but blades are $25, and its a full 8 inch.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Yeah its pretty crazy. But on a nice 35 degree spring day with 4 guys out pike fishing there is nothing like it, non-stop action, blow through $100 in bait in an hour.

I see eskimo has a new drill auger called the pistol. Looks to be under 4 lb for the 8 inch bit, that seems incredibly light, under 10lb with a drill and 5ah battery. I know we are a bit early, but has anyone seen one in action? Only video I can find of it is some what seem to be drunk Canadians using one to drill into dirt (which it seemed to do impressively well) Price is around the Nils and the k-Drill but blades are $25, and its a full 8 inch.

Catch all my big pike on perch.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Yeah perch make good bait, but when you first get there and want to toss gear in the water, purchased bait is crucial. We will usually jig perch and put them on as we have strikes on the store bought bait, the store bought stuff is dinky around here unless you go to North country bait n tackle, and get their XXL jumbos for $2 a piece. even those are not huge, but they are the only place around that sorts their pike bait into so many categories that you know the expensive stuff is all pretty decent size, everywhere else the jumbos are a mixed bag of 4-6 inch shad and still $2 a piece almost.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2018, 08:43 AM »
I have been using a cordless drill with an 8” Nils for years. The drill that I have been using for 3 years is a Makita xph07. I use the side handle that came with it and an adapter from Icemaster.com. With the Nils I have no issues with it catching. I think I can cut holes faster than some gas powered augers. I have sharpened my head once in about 6 years. I did buy a second one as back up. I cut about 20 holes per trip. I can easily get that # of holes using a 5.oh battery in 18-20” of ice. Maybe I am lucky but I have not had issues with dirty ice. I don’t open old holes and I am careful with how I treat my drill head. 

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I love my 6 inch nails, but when I had a head go bad last year it took almost a month to get a new one. That is the only reason I am shying from getting an 8 inch. I also fish from a hard side and spend full weekends on lake, so I do rebore holes frequently.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2018, 05:01 PM »
I made the switch to the 8" K Drill last season, using my 18v Ryobi brushless hammer drill (which will likely be ridiculously cheap on Black Friday). Best equipment upgrade I've made. I can get through 15-20 holes on thick ice with one battery, and the whole setup is so light that bringing an extra battery isn't an issue.

One recommendation I'd make if you go with the K Drill, though...buy a second set of blades. I'll run one while the other set is off getting sharpened for free, switching a few times per season. If you've got a decent drill and sharp blades, it drills through very quickly.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Is the milwaukee your useing the 1200 inch pound fuel??  if it is why not just get this bit and the adaptor for this bit too..  as for auger  sizes  either a 8 or 10 inch.. and for the problem of redrilling or opening  old hole then problem solved. Cause it has the center point on this ..

https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/power-drill-units/lazer-drill-unit/Lazer+Drill+Unit.html?cgid=strikemaster-powerDrillUnits#start=2&cgid=strikemaster-powerDrillUnits

Nda2 adaptor for power auger bits.

https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/power-ice-auger-accessories/power-auger-adapter---1-2-cordless-drill/NDA-2.html

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Keith - I have used an 8" eskimo hand auger bit for my drill and still works well after 2 seasons.  I recommend trying this one:

Eskimo HD08 Hand Auger with 8-Inch Dual Flat Blades

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-HD08-Auger-8-Inch-Blades/dp/B0002JAZJK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1542311146&sr=1-1&keywords=Eskimo+HD08+Hand+Auger+with+8-Inch+Dual+Flat+Blades
Fish on

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2018, 01:24 PM »
So I am apparently very impulsive. Could not make a decision for like 2 weeks, added and deleted each option from carts at multiple stores online, went to cabelas to look at them in person, still couldnt decide. So I figured I knew the plus and minus to all the options except the Pistol. So I got angry with my lack of decision making and pulled the trigger on the pistol. It is by far the lightest of the options, as that was the #1 reason I was looking for a drill auger, I went with the one that was lightest. Full setup including my drill with a 5ah will be right about 10lb, more than 20lb less than my old setup, 9lb lighter than the nils, mora, or lazer, and about 3lb less than a kdrill making a smaller hole. Blades are cheap too. Will arrive monday, and I will have it out for a test run next weekend if all goes as planned.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Thats great, curious to see how you like it. Im going to be in the market for a 8" set up.
Like the pistol, I would like to see how it works in the late season with thick ice.
Its a true 8" too.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Nda2 adaptor for power auger bits.

https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/power-ice-auger-accessories/power-auger-adapter---1-2-cordless-drill/NDA-2.html

DO NOT BUY THESE!  The Rapala/Strikemaster adapters are cheap junk made from aluminum.  They break and you can loose your whole auger.  I had 1 break right in half after only a few trips.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudGEhdL03gIVCiSGCh0iLQfjEAQYBCABEgLlaPD_BwE

I have been using these adapters with ridgid drills and 6"-8" moras and even a 10" hand auger with a gas drill.  They are made of steel and have the bungee cord to save your auger in case the chuck comes loose.  Quality product.  I have no experience with the nils adapter, though.  It looks cheaper, but the black ones for strikemaster/eskimo augers are worth the extra $10.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Very nice to know that they are made of aluminum...the description does not make it very clear.

I have this one for my Nils and it is certainly steel.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Nils-USA-Cordless-Ice-Auger-Adapter
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.