Author Topic: getting unstuck  (Read 17545 times)

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
getting unstuck
« on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:12 PM »
got any tricks for getting your truck free, if its stuck, from the middle of the lake?    Is there any way to attach a winch cable to the ice? 

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Re: getting unstuck
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:21 PM »
Need somthing strong enough not to bend.Attatch the cable to it and drop it through a hole in the ice..

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:22 PM »
You could attach it to another vehicle? You could try drilling two holes close to each other, and making a loop with the cable but I'm not sure if the ice would hold up.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:54 PM »
the ice here is around 18 or 20" on the better spots.  alot of the time im out real early or late so there arent many others to hook up to without a good walk.    so the ice wont compress or crush some where the bar would meet the top of the hole? 

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2008, 10:05 PM »
kitty litter.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Snow shovel and plenty of time. ;D

Good tires are the key, get a good all terrain tread. Those "SUV" tires are meant to ride nice and be quiet, not provide maximum traction.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Reminds me of a time when Big Pete and I were up near the U.P. of MI snow belt on Big Sand meeting some friends to help pre-fish the lake. We saw a couple vehicles out one way, of course the trail didn't head that way we wanted. Thinking well it can't be too bad being there are a few out, Pete guns his truck at the boat landing and we hit the lake hard. After about 1/2 mile we were losing our head of steam pretty fast and then she dropped and we were hung up good.

Guess what? No shovel. We dug the truck out with out ice skimmers! Used firewood, boards, and floormats under the wheels.

Took some battle to get it moving, we proceeded to back our way off the lake in the same tracks. Ended up following the other trail out and did get on some good walleye fishing. Like skipper said always carry a shovel and I like to have a small bucket of sand. You can use your floormats for traction also, With chains on I've dug into the ice until vehicle sat on the frame then it's time to jack up the vehicle and put whatever you have under the wheels to get it raised up a bit. All part of the good fun of ice fishing.

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2008, 11:32 PM »
thats hilarious. ive done the skimmers before but never had it as bad as the chain incident.

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • THANK GOD THE OL' LADY FISHS :-)
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2008, 07:53 AM »
if ya have access to a wood burning stove in somones shack the ash works for traction. but if you'r going a ways out or alone deffinetly plan for everything and anything.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2008, 08:30 AM »
You could attach a winch cable to a decent sized metal or wood post/pole in a hole drilled in the ice.  I am thinking of carrying a good sized wooden fence post (8") this season then I can use my come along to it if I need too.  I was also thinking of getting a specially made metal device at a local welding shop - a solid metal post with a series of support rings around it to fill up a 10" hole to make it solid.  Then I would drill a hole but not all the way through and but it in.    I've been stuck lots on the ice too, and want something possibly a little easier.  The good thing about being stuck on the ice though is you are never really stuck too bad unless you are in slush.  I had it down to a science with my old truck which had low clearance and I would always get hung up on the frame, but it would never take me more than a half hour to clear all the snow away and get moving again.  I've done it all floor mats, boards, tree branches, chain, etc for traction, and axes to bust up snow at times when I didn't have a shovel.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2008, 12:07 PM »
 Hmm,  can't believe anyone has said it yet  ??? Don't drive a Chevy, that's all, pretty simple really  ;) Always carry a shovel. I went in the ditch one day last winter, I have a 3" lift with 315/75/r16 tires, my front end was in the ditch, my back left tire was on the shoulder yet, I still had to step up to get onto the road. I had a dinky little shovel and the snow was 2 feet or a little deeper in the ditch, I couldn't back it, it slid all the way in, then I just rocked it a little bit,we shoveled snow for about 20 minutes and I managed to crawl up the 5' 60 degree ice covered ditch.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Ha,  no chevys here.  today i grabbed a 3" x 3" square tube, the walls are 3/8" thick.  its hollow but i can weld some kind of an X brace through it.  i work for a metal contractor so i can get pretty much anything.  next week im going to get 3 or 4 solid steel rings lazered out about 3/8" thick, with squares the size of the tube cut out of the center, to be spaced evenly and welded.  should i make some of the rings pointed on the outer edge?  would you change anything?  add anything or take anything away?   

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Ha,  no chevys here.    
theres your problem right there, your not using a chevy, ive yet to have mine stuck on the ice. my buddies ford could get stuck on wet grass.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:04 PM »
uberfish - your idea sounds similiar to what I am thinking about getting made.  The only thing different I would like to do, is have the support rings not welded solid, just pinned or secured in place with stopper bolts or something, as they are only there to fill up the hole so the center post is solid and straight, then in can be taken apart and won't take up nearly as much space in the truck. 

As for different brands getting stuck, etc, the biggest factor is tires and your clearance.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Here's a little tip on tires for the truck for the winter. The narrower the better. The wide the tire is the more it floats around. Narrow tires concentrate the trucks wait to a smaller area giving better traction. Wide tires for mud, narrow tires for snow and ice.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:27 PM »
I like the idea of using a bar and a hole. Get a 3' chunk of 2" water pipe. Weld a ring to the center point for attaching the winch. At one end attach a length of rope. Drill a hole and drop the pipe in. the once unstuck let slack on the winch and use the length of rope to retrieve. I think any ice over 8 inches will be more than enough to act as an anchor point.

Hmmmm! Gonna have to make a smaller version for the quad. Never been stuck, but with the new big shanty I might.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:39 PM »
so when the cables tight the only thing going through the hole would be the cable, right?  and the bar would be horizontal under the ice?

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Yep you got it. But you would also have you lenth of rope to turn it vertical to retreive it. No getting a wet arm to get the bar.

Offline dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2008, 05:35 PM »
 12"piece of unistrut with 18" of winchcable to winch off and a rope just as you said has saved us many times on the wheelers ;D Electrical supply house will carry the unistrut inexpesive to make fits under the seat of the wheeler and is always available when needed 8)
If Fishin were easy they would call it Catchin

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2008, 10:05 PM »
you know, at first i was thinking of running a cable around a series of ice anchors in a semi-circle.   if you listen close you can almost hear the sound of a dozen 6" hex bolts kareening into the front end of some poor guys pickup.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2008, 11:17 PM »
Here's a little tip on tires for the truck for the winter. The narrower the better. The wide the tire is the more it floats around. Narrow tires concentrate the trucks wait to a smaller area giving better traction. Wide tires for mud, narrow tires for snow and ice.

I agree, lol, that's how I ended up in the ditch, my tires floated accross the powder coated compacted snow ice glaze on the road. My tired were turned, but my truck wasn't following, lol.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2008, 12:15 AM »
I'm thinking of a boat anchor/grappling hook that would open up and hold, in an ice hole, and close up to retrieve it when you are unstuck. What do you think mud_n_fun? Maybe with hydraulics or springs. Do you have some left over steel from your ski's? afishingfool

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2008, 10:13 AM »
i dont have any water pipe or any thing hardened, but a 1/2" sidewall on a 2" rod should work right?   or should i use solid stock?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2008, 11:09 AM »
A piece of rear axle from a pickup would work as a piece to drop trough the ice to make an anchor. Axle is very hard and sturdy.

A little extra weight in the back can make a big difference too. At one point, I went to every service station within 20 miles of my house and got all of their scrap wheel weights. I filled four of those 40lb size sand in a tube bags with them, let me tell you that they weighed a bit more than 160lbs! ;D

I have made a few sinkers since then. ;)

Mud n Fun makes a good point about tires too. Skinny tires are way better than wide ones. I would rather take a front wheel drive Buick in the snow than a fat tread 4X4 mud machine.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Stud your tires  all the way around   dont even have to use 4 wheel drive when they are on 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:09 PM »
what do you mean stud your tires?  just buy studed tires?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:11 PM »
what do you mean stud your tires?  just buy studed tires?
sure   use them all the winters up here
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:24 PM »
how do they ride on th high way?   do they last long?

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:32 PM »
yeah just a little noisey

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I got my Geo Tracker stuck a couple seasons back. Busted open my sand bag I carried for traction and weight and threw sand under my tires

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.