Author Topic: False news story says angler fell through?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
False news story says angler fell through?
« on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:35 AM »
This was on Indiana ice fishing page on Facebook. Article says a man fell through the ice and dies, but Ice anglers on the page are adamant the guy didn't fall through. He collapsed on the ice. It got really out of hand and the post was pulled.

Interesting to say the least.

I think this could be the one but don't know for sure. Unfortunately the entire thread was pulled by the administrator or Facebook so I can't post the link to the story.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/2019/02/04/indiana-man-dies-after-falling-through-ice-while-fishing/2766132002/
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: False news story says angler fell through?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:54 AM »
I think that's a different story Taxi.

The one that I saw started on HWH FB page was about a younger gentleman that died of a heart attack (they believed) on North Snow bay.

Guys automatically jumped on it stating this is why we say "don't fish on less that 4" of ice".

Most of us know ice is not safe and it's not really a numbers game.  You might get lucky on 2" of hard ice and you might go through 10" of junk ice.  You may go from 6" of ice to 2" in several feet or less.

Bottom line is you better have a spud and know how to use it.  There no other way to inspect the ice other than cutting a hole.  Never assume you can just strut out to where you see someone else fishing either.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Yeah the one on HWH was up for a bit with people bickering back and forth. Heart go's out to both families.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Noticed the date on the one you posted Taxi was from early last year.  Surprized with the conditions we haven't had any accidents yet that I've heard of.  Hopefully it stays that way.

Stay safe out there guys when and if you go!!

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:13 PM »
I think that's a different story Taxi.

The one that I saw started on HWH FB page was about a younger gentleman that died of a heart attack (they believed) on North Snow bay.

Guys automatically jumped on it stating this is why we say "don't fish on less that 4" of ice".

Most of us know ice is not safe and it's not really a numbers game.  You might get lucky on 2" of hard ice and you might go through 10" of junk ice.  You may go from 6" of ice to 2" in several feet or less.

Bottom line is you better have a spud and know how to use it.  There no other way to inspect the ice other than cutting a hole.  Never assume you can just strut out to where you see someone else fishing either.

Where ive been fishing this week, ive seen 3 other spud bars and havent seen piks on anyone.. very upsetting, to say the least. Ppl need to wise up. The ice ive been on is slowly rotting. The ice at the access point got soft and all busted up this evening with everyone coming off at dark.
Got one goin'!

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:38 AM »
Musky wrong thread???

Coop
Coopason

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Yes and yes!

I've also only see one guy using his spud this year.  Too many don't have them and way too many don't use them.  One of the problems with not using them is that it takes practice.   If you're not using it regularly you may not know what to look for when you finally do decide to use it.

No reason not to have picks around your neck.  They are cheap insurance.  Same with a throw rope/bag.

Lastly don't fish alone on junk ice.  A buddy of mine was checking ice in Noble co last night and there was a guy sitting on a lake by himself.   Not real smart right before dark with no one around on marginal ice.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Roe, I live up in Noble and close to the Park and back in December when we had that little shot of ice. I saw a guy sitting alone at night and this was two days after I quit fishing a Kosciusko county channel. I thought that guy must have a lot of balls or no brains, maybe a combination of both. Wasn't too many years back a guy went through on Mud Lake and they pulled him out the next day. There again thin ice, at night, and alone! Pretty much three strikes and so sad. Be extra careful out there if you go! Hex

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Ya, same place I was speaking of!  Not sure how many folks have drowned in there but it's too many.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:28 PM »
Musky wrong thread???

Coop

I wondered why I didn't see it, thought maybe I said something wrong and it was removed. Had to look in my post list to find it. I'll delete it and post on right thread.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Yes and yes!

I've also only see one guy using his spud this year.  Too many don't have them and way too many don't use them.  One of the problems with not using them is that it takes practice.   If you're not using it regularly you may not know what to look for when you finally do decide to use it.

No reason not to have picks around your neck.  They are cheap insurance.  Same with a throw rooe/bag.

Lastly don't fish alone on junk ice.  A buddy of mine was checking ice in Noble co last night and there was a guy sitting on a lake by himself.   Not real smart right before dark with no one around on marginal ice.

Ok, help me out here....what is a throw rooe/ bag?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:39 PM »

Ok, help me out here....what is a throw rooe/ bag?

Bag with throw rope that a bystander can throw to the person that has fallen in from a place of safety.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Bag with throw rope that a bystander can throw to the person that has fallen in from a place of safety.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:39 AM »
throw rope can also be made for free with bleach bottle.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:44 AM »
I drilled a hole in a softball and tied a rope to it. 
If you go in near me you better be looking out for the backdoor curve on the outside corner.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:10 AM »
I drilled a hole in a softball and tied a rope to it. 
If you go in near me you better be looking out for the backdoor curve on the outside corner.

:roflmao:
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for replies. I figured it was something as this but must have been a typo in there. The picks I always carried, until they broke. Most of my fishing is on lake Erie and I am not a viking so I do not venture out until several hundred of my closest friends have, so I have not gotten new ones. I do want to get some but does anyone have a recommendation for good ones? It seems the boughton ones I have gotten either the cord breaks, or picks, or handle.....its always been something.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Yep, sorry about the typo, mand hands get ahead of my head often.

Lundhag from Sweden makes a really nice set with whistle.  They will cost many time what you'll pay for a cheap pair on Ebay or from Walmart but like most things you get what you pay for.

Safety equipment is not a real good place to save money!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:14 PM »
the softball to the head settles them down to grab the rope. lol that lingo sounds like tater just mite be able to bean ya pretty good.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:15 AM »
When I fell in years ago, Nobody had picks that I'd heard of? After I went in all my friends that worked in the mill were making them. My buddy made me a neat pair. Picks are made of stainless with oak wooden handles. The picks are only about 2"long and slide into the other handle. When together they look like one piece of wood about 6" long and they float.
Never had to use then!!!! ::) ::) ::) If I would have had them when I went in, I'd been out of there in no time. I broke 4 of my fingernails off!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:29 AM »
the softball to the head settles them down to grab the rope. lol that lingo sounds like tater just mite be able to bean ya pretty good.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:31 AM »
When I fell in years ago, Nobody had picks that I'd heard of? After I went in all my friends that worked in the mill were making them. My buddy made me a neat pair. Picks are made of stainless with oak wooden handles. The picks are only about 2"long and slide into the other handle. When together they look like one piece of wood about 6" long and they float.
Never had to use then!!!! ::) ::) ::) If I would have had them when I went in, I'd been out of there in no time. I broke 4 of my fingernails off!
Teach

Do you have a beard? I have heard that they may help?  ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:34 AM »
all I know is last time I fell in a video I had seen previously helped me a lot. It showed how easy it was to roll over on your back and kick off. Slides you right up on the ice. Works like a charm. Trying to lift yourself up as not as easy as it sounds even with picks.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2020, 12:58 PM »
all I know is last time I fell in a video I had seen previously helped me a lot. It showed how easy it was to roll over on your back and kick off. Slides you right up on the ice. Works like a charm. Trying to lift yourself up as not as easy as it sounds even with picks.
I can second that. Learned that in middle school swim class in alaska. The staying calm while waiting for the initial shock to stop can be hard to learn sometimes.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:49 PM »
I can second that. Learned that in middle school swim class in alaska. The staying calm while waiting for the initial shock to stop can be hard to learn sometimes.

:thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.