The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tip-up tinkering  (Read 821 times)

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip-up tinkering
« on: Jan 19, 2016, 02:35 PM »
So, I decided to focus this year on plastics, and gaining confidence in using them.  With that being said, I only planned on doing such with my crappie fishing...However, I recently read a large article in a Michigan based magazine about tip-up fishing and techniques.  One of the mentions, was a few paragraphs on live vs. dead bait, which was crazy because I have always used live bait (thats what my dad taught me).  Now that my wheels are spinning on dead bait, has anyone ever used plastics for tip-ups?! I have a ton from fishing the Detroit river (minnow shapped, not worms) and am considering giving it a try....wanted to get all of your input.  Thanks, and please be safe this weekend!
Flag up!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-up tinkering
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I say try it.
But dead bait has a certain aroma to the fish. Jigging plastics will work for pike. I HAVE DONE THAT!
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:16 PM »
You could always try injecting a plastic with a Krill scent or other similar liquid scent.  Pike come into still motion, spearing decoys all the time. I've even had them crush them while stationary like a freight train.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:15 PM »
take some live bait and then slit the belly of the plastics and put a chunk of the real fish in it.....cost effective and similar effects.....

Offline GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Ive never tried plastics on a tip up but have had quite good success with dead smelt. It seems that the largest pike that ive caught have been on dead smelt. So that just shows if the sent and the visual presentation of the bait is there then the pike will eat. This is also in lakes where the pike have never seen smelt
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:56 PM »
I have also caught all my biggest pike on dead bait.
I think the real challenge with plastics would be getting them to hold on long enough to get a hook in them.
Maybe a slammer style tip up would solve that problem.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:30 PM »
I will be experimenting with it over the next two weeks, I'll post my results either way (unless I catch a few 40" er's)!
Flag up!

Offline TFish57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Never tried artificials with tip-ups.  Real bait (dead or alive) is the way to go with unattended lines.
If you’re not fishin, you’re wishin.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I don't  even  have luck with dead bait let alone trying plastic for tipups.haha.kind of like the chubby darters I bought that guys get fish on .i have never even seen a fish come up to it on my vexilar screen.lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.