The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Walleye help!  (Read 756 times)

Offline 1uglystick

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleye help!
« on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:22 PM »
hello everybody! I am new to the site but not new to ice fishing (19 years old but been fishing for 17).  I live in the Rockford area and hooked into a nice walleye a few years ago and it left me wanting to catch more. Ive been back to that same lake at least 20 more times but never hooked another. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a walleye lake in my area. You can send me a PM if you'd like (if you are kind enough to send me a PM with a good walleye lake than dont worry. Your secret is safe with me. I think its disrespectful to tell the world about someone elses hot spot!) I have all the tools necessary such as jigging rods, tip ups, spoons, jigging raps and all other walleye accessories. Also, the walleye i caught a few years ago was on an open flat in about 20 feet of water. Should i look for this same kind of area? Or is there a certain kind of structure i should be looking for? Thanks everybody! Hope to see you on the ice!(if the weather gets colder)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Walleye help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Silver Lake off of Belding Rd.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:31 PM »
Inland walleye are tough since the DNR put a hiatus on the stocking.  Most lakes have gone a few years without any plants.  Most inland lakes are put and take fisheries.  Thankfully now the DNR has once again ramped up stocking efforts and in 3-5 years things will turn around.

There are a few lakes that hold natural fish in the area find those and you can be somewhat consistent.  A typical example of that would be a lake with a river system.
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline Diehard_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im a diehard fisherman, obviously.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:35 PM »
welcome to the site! i know your pain buddy.. i too have searched far and wide for the ellusive eye.. and keep coming up short! i hope both our lucks turn around very soon!

Offline 1uglystick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:11 PM »
It would probably be better to email me if you want. thanks for the input so far.

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:10 PM »
 This will give you an idea where to start.  It is a very useful tool and includes private authorized plantings in public lakes.

http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/

Offline 1uglystick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Thanks for that!

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:06 PM »
No problem.  It takes about 3 to 4 years for spring or fall fingerlings to reach legal size so you can use that as a guide.  It's not uncommon for walleyes to live 10 -15 years, but of course there won't be many of them.

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:11 PM »
they don't take in every lake they are stocked in either.  Some lakes get a ton of fingerlings but nothing survives.  The survival from fingerling to adult is 2% so keep that in mind as well.

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Your right fishybill.  Fall fingerling plants almost always have excellent survival.  These are not common due to high cost.  Spring fingerling plants work good up north, but can be hit or miss in lakes as you move farther south.  It is harder to get spring fingerling walleye to survive in lakes with large bluegill populations like we have in southern lower.  Bluegill like one inch walleye!

Offline Diehard_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im a diehard fisherman, obviously.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:58 AM »
The most hysterically depressing reality is the dnr have stocked otsego for the past decade pretty much, literally over 1million fingerlings planted...and people rarely catch any... which bring me to my conclusion. walleye fingerlings = pike bait.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:32 AM »
The most hysterically depressing reality is the dnr have stocked otsego for the past decade pretty much, literally over 1million fingerlings planted...and people rarely catch any... which bring me to my conclusion. walleye fingerlings = pike bait.
Dude, You need to be concentrating on Long Lake N of your town. Walleye are all over that lake from the information I've gathered by talking to some locals and the Sportsman Guide proves it. I would start there.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Its very possible that the plants are not as successful in Otsego.  Sometimes I wonder why they stock lakes that have less than ideal walleye habitat but they don't stock lakes that have lots of gravel and possible spawning habitat for the eyes. 

Guess thats why I'm not a biologist.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.