Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 450996 times)

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Inventions
« Reply #660 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:06 AM »

i made the hinge assembly out of galvanized steel, some kind of joist hanger from lowes. fastened to the floor with drywall screws. But there is a board on the other side. Your choice of fastener depends on what you are making the floor out of. I like pop rivets with washers for thinner  plywood or plastic.

On the blue hut i got strips of wood 1/4" thick by 1 1/2" by 4'.  I tacked the tarp in place on the side of the bottom then laid the strip down the whole edge. Then i nailed the strip down. Virtually no chance of it tearing there.

What kind of floor is it? I made the blue hut's floor out of chipboard. Bad choice. Should have used painted plywood. I considered an old truck bed liner but couldn't find one for free.😁

Describe it or post a pic. Maybe I can make a suggestion.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #661 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Gillinator, It was made with 1/4" plywood (painted) and pieces of 1x3 as backing/bracing, but it's done over thirty years of service so it's time for some updates.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #662 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:51 PM »
1/4" is nice and light. A couple of coats of paint and it should work. I think long rivets for any pole hinges or the like would be best. My small hut has a 1/4" plywood floor.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #663 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Flip Shanty STOGIE HOLDER:

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #664 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:51 PM »
This is the last update to my ice bucket chair.

I hinged the padded seat and fastened the back directly to the bucket with pop rivets. It is extendable with a push button lock. Pull straight up on the foam back/aluminum tubing and it moves up the slide assembly and the bottom locks in because of the shape of said slide and the push button locks automatically. Push the button in and  use pressure to get it back down again. When it does reach the bottom of the slide, the shape of the foam back wedges it snug. When it is extended out, the aluminum tube back leans back at  just the right angle. That part was tough. It took a few times to get it right.

It's lighter and one less thing to carry/bungie down on the sled.

I think this could be one of the better things I've made.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #665 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:44 PM »
Here is an idea I've been thinking of trying in the future for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . I have a UTV cover I bought for my SXS . It's made of heavy condura type material for $50.00 . My UTV is 8 ft. long by 60 inches wide by 6' 2" tall . The cover has 2 vent holes near the top to release condensation . If you can picture this cover draped over the UTV all the way to the ground with a elastic hem on the bottom , it certainly should make an excellent cover for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . Now with that thought in mind , they now make 4 seater UTVs that are 10 to 12 feet long and 6 feet wide ! If anyone succeeds in creating a shelter out of one of these covers before I do , please post up your creation .

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #666 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:05 AM »

<===Lefty===

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #667 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:35 AM »
That cover sounds better than the old canvas, the nylon tent i used or the tarp. I wonder how long it will last? I know the boys motorcycle cover cracked after being in the weather one year.

But it has to be waaaay better than a tarp. I wished i would have thought of that before I made the blue hut.

Interesting, you can buy that cordura fabric by the yard. This could be a big step forward for my projects. A step toward factory quality. Thank you sir!

Kind of pricey by the yard! But $50 for your cover is economical. Hell, that sounds great. I need to handle it though. See if I can sew it. Off to the motorcycle shop!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #668 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Cordura makes at least a dozen kinds of fabric, many for the military.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #669 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:59 PM »
That cover sounds better than the old canvas, the nylon tent i used or the tarp. I wonder how long it will last? I know the boys motorcycle cover cracked after being in the weather one year.

But it has to be waaaay better than a tarp. I wished i would have thought of that before I made the blue hut.

Interesting, you can buy that cordura fabric by the yard. This could be a big step forward for my projects. A step toward factory quality. Thank you sir!

Kind of pricey by the yard! But $50 for your cover is economical. Hell, that sounds great. I need to handle it though. See if I can sew it. Off to the motorcycle shop!

Your welcome . If you do use one , please post pictures . It'll save me a major headache ...  :wacko:

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #670 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:13 AM »
 I have 3 shelters now. On second thought i probably won't make another.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #671 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:23 PM »

I put one of my extendable backs on a round bucket. It works good. I added a strip of teflon cutting board so the fabric would survive the sliding motion.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #672 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Threw together a new hole hopping bucket. This is the third one. I think I have all of the quirky things I didn’t like about my two previous build eliminated with this one....but I’ll probably get bored and build a new one next fall.

I wasn’t satisfied with the balance of the other ones so I began there by moving some things around. Added a 5.5mm jack on the side for plugging in shack lights or a green underwater light I have. Moved transducer mount forward. Moved beer holder to the left side. For comparison last year’s version and this year’s version are pictured.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #673 on: Dec 05, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Those are pretty slick 32footsteps ! Very nice setup .

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #674 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Took the Helix 7 off my boat and added the ice transducer and a glow cup and its been excellent.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #675 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Looks nice.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Perch Eye Remover
« Reply #676 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Perch eyes are a known great bait- you can dig them out with a knife, or pop them out with your thumb, but this is messy and often pop the eye, making it less juicy and attractive. This tool makes it simple and pretty clean.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #677 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Pretty slick. Eye will have to make me one. LOL
<===Lefty===

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #678 on: Feb 05, 2019, 01:18 AM »
I made an adjustable auger extension / drill adapter for under $10.

LINK TO THREAD

Tight lines!

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #679 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Took the Helix 7 off my boat and added the ice transducer and a glow cup and its been excellent.

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice.  How do you protect it? Geo.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #680 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 PM »
When my brother was getting his MSEE in the '80s, he made an automatic fisherman for a class project. At the time, he had to make the wire wrap boards, and as you can guess it was huge! He had a stepper motor to raise and lower the line, a limit switch on an eyelet to check for tension, and the last guide was mounted on a piezo sensor to detect a bite. You could set the height from the bottom, and specify a jigging pattern. The thing would lower until there was no tension, and raise the programmed amount, and start to jig. When the piezo sensor detected a bite, it reeled up and sounded an alarm. It ran from a car battery. The whole thing was programmed in assembly language.
I think it is out in my dad's barn- will try and get a picture, It looks like a prop for a Frankenstein movie.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #681 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:33 PM »
Not really an invention, but I build them (and sell them).

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #682 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Here is my first power box build for my pop up hub and sled.  It has an Ice Jager glow cup, LED flashlight/floor light, dual USBs, cigarette lighter port, 3 accessory terminals, charging terminal.  The glow light fits inside when not in use.

River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #683 on: Jan 18, 2020, 10:20 AM »
nice work.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #684 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:04 PM »
I adapted my Garmin 73sv ice kit to use my Ridgid tool batteries. The Garmin can take the 20V that the batteries supply, and several others have used it that ways for a while, so I decided to risk it. The electrical mod is based on a Ridgid USB charger I got from Direct Tools for $10 on sale. I opened it, removed the guts, and soldered wires to the + and - long enough to reach out the hole. Crimped on spade connectors, and shoved them into the females that connected to the SLA battery. I made a holder for the battery bracket out of scrap-1 piece to fit in the battery compartment, and piece of plywood to hold the bracket- there is a hole for a belt clip I used to bolt it in.
Saved me 3.5 lb, and I can fish all day on a 4 AH battery. Can carry a spare that works for both the auger and the Garmin.
Update: By reducing my screen brightness to 60%, I can go all day on a 2AH battery. I am very happy with the weight savings, and the tool batteries recharge a lot faster then the SLA with the Garmin charger.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #685 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Nice badger132. I might have to try that for my Showdown Troller.
<===Lefty===

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #686 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:26 PM »
I tried to convert an older Lowrance and it was to much juice would not run. I'm close to a new one hope it will run on higher voltage. No convert though I was going with about the same way.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #687 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Nice badger132. I might have to try that for my Showdown Troller.

Why would you use 18V? Get 6 rechargeable AA and charge them up, good for 2-1/2 days of fishing. I have 2 of the Marcums- 1 with the soft pack, and I always wonder why I don't get rid of the SLA battery and use AA's in that one too. You can put tackle where the battery used to be.

The Garmin 73 is a power hog- especially with the big backlit screen. It needs 80WH to go all day.

By my calculation, the Marcum  Showdown uses 5.5 WH per day of fishing That 9AH SLA should go 20 days of fishing without recharge.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #688 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I am using an 8Ah battery now for the troller. It doesn't last anywhere near 3 full days of fishing. Only reason I am using it that way is I don't need the battery for the boat fish finder right now.
<===Lefty===

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #689 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Why would you use 18V? Get 6 rechargeable AA and charge them up, good for 2-1/2 days of fishing. I have 2 of the Marcums- 1 with the soft pack, and I always wonder why I don't get rid of the SLA battery and use AA's in that one too. You can put tackle where the battery used to be.

The Garmin 73 is a power hog- especially with the big backlit screen. It needs 80WH to go all day.

By my calculation, the Marcum  Showdown uses 5.5 WH per day of fishing That 9AH SLA should go 20 days of fishing without recharge.
No idea how much power it draws but my showdown performs way better connected to a 12v opposed to the 9v from the 6 a.a.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.