Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451001 times)

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Inventions
« Reply #630 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:17 PM »

Added a belt pouch i had. Made it nicer. Pop riveted that bad boy on.

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #631 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:58 PM »

Added a belt pouch i had. Made it nicer. Pop riveted that bad boy on.

That's a really good idea!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #632 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Yard sales. Lol. Got a frabil speedshack cub hut at a sale this year. Looks like a discontinued model but it is sooooo easy to put up. I have no idea why they stopped making it.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #633 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I have a terrible time with rod cases, tried the soft and broke rod tips. Got a hard wood one and it's a huge pain for me in the hut. So I'm trying a bucket holder now.  4 kitty litter buckets pop riveted together to get it high enough. Glued  1" x 3" long pvc to the bottom peace of sheet pvc to hold the rods. Haven't used it yet but I think it should work out better. Plan on using it in the hut as a small table to set things on

Offline ima-icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #634 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:08 PM »

Offline ima-icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #635 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:09 PM »

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #636 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:40 PM »

We're watching, if you have something to say.

What do we see?    ???    ;)2

Offline doneinne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #637 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:03 AM »
You can remove the painted labels on the cat litter containers using MEK. Methyl Ethel Keytone.  Make to use it cautiously in a well vented place.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #638 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:43 AM »
 kitty litter, hole hopping bucket

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #639 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:23 AM »

This is a case i made out of aluminum coil stock. I lined it with a woven nylon coated fabric covered foam i found. I can fit six poles in it. The drawback is length.  I got a new pole for walleye that's too long. I don't put my tackle box in it anymore, too many jigs!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #640 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Sweet! That takes it to another level. Makes mine look like a.... mop bucket! Lol

Leds, usbs, 12 volt power supply... You did a great job!

Looks like i have some work to do.

You mentioned everything except the beer holder...that’s the key part of it!

Here’s my other contraption I threw together. Not sure if I’ve posted this on IS but guys are nuts about power boxes. I needed something a bit more dynamic and that’s where The kitty litter bucket accomplished that task....however....I had a single DIN Bluetooth marine radio with built in speakers and some extra batteries.

So...threw it into an ammo box, USB, 12v accessory outlet, USB outlets, stereo, AM/FM antenna, LED lights and a RAM ball for my camera. Bolts as external charging posts. These are switched so it’s not “live” all the time but can be used for anything I have that has alligator clips. The only thing I had to get was the antenna. $8 for that so that’s what I essentially have stuck into the thing.

This is more of a maple syrup cooking appliance that I’ll use on the ice. We don’t have electricity in our sugar shack and this box gives us a radio, phone charging station, and portable lights beyond just a flash light.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #641 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:25 PM »

This is a case i made out of aluminum coil stock. I lined it with a woven nylon coated fabric covered foam i found. I can fit six poles in it. The drawback is length.  I got a new pole for walleye that's too long. I don't put my tackle box in it anymore, too many jigs!

Wow---you made that? that's some serious DIY skills!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #642 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:08 AM »
Thanks! I have also made a couple of huts. The first was made to fit in the back seat of a 90s buick regal. Lol. I used tubular aluminum from lawn chairs and a nylon tent. Wasn't pretty and was very small but it kept us warm. Don't even think about standing up.😂

The step kid grew a bit bigger so i made a second one.
One guy said the blue one looked like a factory model. I love making stuff.

You can stand up in this one.my brother calls me and says his boss is getting rid of some old school extendable tent poles, do i want them?  :o No tent, but who needs that? Lol. A sheet of chipboard a tarp and a couple of garage sale zippers later!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #643 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Thanks! I have also made a couple of huts. The first was made to fit in a 90s buick regal. Lol. I used tubular aluminum from lawn chairs and a nylon tent. Wasn't pretty and was very small but it kept us warm. Don't even think about standing up.😂

The step kid grew a bit bigger so i made a second one.
One guy said the blue one looked like a factory model. I love making stuff.

<===Lefty===

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #644 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I had a single DIN Bluetooth marine radio with built in speakers and some extra batteries.

So...threw it into an ammo box, USB, 12v accessory outlet, USB outlets, stereo, AM/FM antenna, LED lights and a RAM ball for my camera. Bolts as external charging posts. These are switched so it’s not “live” all the time but can be used for anything I have that has alligator clips. The only thing I had to get was the antenna. $8 for that so that’s what I essentially have stuck into the thing.

This is more of a maple syrup cooking appliance that I’ll use on the ice. We don’t have electricity in our sugar shack and this box gives us a radio, phone charging station, and portable lights beyond just a flash light.

Nice job! Rocking on the ice! I like the idea of the usb. I have a ryobi radio that has one in the side. Hmmmm... Wish i had more knowledge about electronics

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #645 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Here is another thing I made. A push button/sliding extendable ice skimmer. Looked on the net this year and someone is selling them! 😀 when collapsed  it fits in my litter bucket on top of my marcum.

I'm trying to make things lighter and more compact. One is collapsed.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #646 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Got this at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. Ever seen one? If your back gets sore these little guys can be a life saver. Folds up. Fits on a 5 gallon bucket. You can lean back pretty good.  I have detailed plans with measurements if anyone is interested.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #647 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Pretty cool gillinator, I would call it the Throne!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #648 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Whoever designed that was a smart cookie! It works great! Of course i have made my own version made from a backpack frame! THAT ONE is the throne. 😁Lol. I have had bad back problems and ice fishing is never easy. But if i have my way....

I also have a newer version made of aluminum tubing. my back is much better.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #649 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Ok, I'll stop hogging the forum. I'm just showing the best of what I've made. Not much left. New folding seat for a square litter bucket made of lawn chair aluminum tubing. The lightest of all. 1/4" plywood seat and foam back.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #650 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Nice job! Rocking on the ice! I like the idea of the usb. I have a ryobi radio that has one in the side. Hmmmm... Wish i had more knowledge about electronics

12v stuff is pretty straightforward but I’ll admit that I’m very comfortable working with circuits. Many guys are not and abhor the idea of putting a new plug on an extension cord.

I rigged up a security system for a permanent shack awhile back. All 12v, motion sensors with a “disarm” switch on the outside so you don’t trip it yourself. If you forget this or if you break into the thing horns will sound and you have 15 seconds to get the heck out of there or you’ll have a dozen Roman Candles fires right at your head. Just a couple of breadboards with circuits on timers. Fun stuff! 

I did this to my boat...color changing LEDs on the inside and some on the outside that can be synced to strobe, change color, and fade with music. It looks like a UFO when they are all going. When everything is added up...color changing lights, single color white lights in compartments, etc. I have just shy of 300ft of LEDs on a 17ft boat.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #651 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:41 PM »
I bet you can see that from the space station.😁

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #652 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:05 PM »
I bet you can see that from the space station.😁

That was sort of the idea behind the lights I put on the outside of the hull. I do a fair amount of fishing for muskies at night and used to do two or three 24 hour marathon trips each season on my "home" lake. I'd be in the boat for 24 hours, fish hard, sneak a nap in here and there, and it would be a great way to get a pattern locked in for the month that followed.

On one of those outings over Memorial Day weekend it was time for a nap at 3am. Temps were in the low 40's and regardless of that I'd never encounter another boat after 11pm or so. I pulled right up tight to a bunch of cat tails, made sure my bow and stern lights were on and dozed off. 20 minutes later a boat without lights on comes roaring by within 15 feet of me. A few days later I hopped on Amazon and ordered a bunch of lights to run down the sides of my boat. What began as a safety feature for when I'm snoozing turned into a strange obsession. I was the first one around that area with lights like that on a boat. Now they are more and more common. I had planned to rewire my entire boat anyway so it seemed like a good idea to add the extra lights at that time.

...and yes, you can see it from a distance. I've been told by friends that when I fire them up they have been able to spot me from a few miles away. 

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #653 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:41 AM »
What a way to wake up from a nap! Bet that scared the blank out of you.

So does your ice hut look like club 54? (Remember that disco joint?) 😀

Saaaay, would a disco ball attract crappie? Lol

Frabil disco ball. Hey, if it worked I'd buy one!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #654 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Put a rod rack mod on my ATV. Going to work slick.

So many fish, so little time.

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #655 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Got this at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. Ever seen one? If your back gets sore these little guys can be a life saver. Folds up. Fits on a 5 gallon bucket. You can lean back pretty good.  I have detailed plans with measurements if anyone is interested.

Interested in the plans.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #656 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:27 AM »

I hope that gives you enough info. If you need any more let me know.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #657 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:42 AM »

Wow   looks like you would need a pretty good sewing machine and skills to match to make that!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #658 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:51 AM »
I wish. Sewing the zippers was a trick. all i had was a regular sewing machine, lots of hand sewing too. I used to work for a company that did theater curtains. Just one job among many i had as a commercial carpenter.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #659 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Gillinator, would like to see how you did the floor in the blue shack if possible. Was wondering how you attached the poles and the tarp along the bottom. Have my Dads old canvas one (looks about the same size as yours) and the floor is in need of some repairs, so looking for ideas. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.