New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1025815 times)

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4470 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:08 PM »
I walked out from Williams today......got a late start....never set up until 9 am.........walking wasn't too bad as choo choo said....stay on the beaten path........temps tonight and tomorrow should tighten er up nicely......6 perch and an eye to show for my 3/4 mile walk @)

Offline Stelladog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4471 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Yes Scout that was me.  One of the great things about ice fishing is meeting up with guys that share similar interests.  I am a glutton for punishment and heading back to north shore tomorrow...probably going to kick myself in a$$ for doing that.  Also am planning on chaumont next week to see if all the stories I'm hearing are true.  With my luck it will be "oh you should have been here last week when they were biting!"  May bump into you again. 

Offline Rickr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4472 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Can anybody tell me the name of the rd for messenger bay for parking thanx

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4473 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Can anybody tell me the name of the rd for messenger bay for parking thanx
Lewis Point Rd

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4474 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:08 PM »
I walked out from Williams today......got a late start....never set up until 9 am.........walking wasn't too bad as choo choo said....stay on the beaten path........temps tonight and tomorrow should tighten er up nicely......6 perch and an eye to show for my 3/4 mile walk @)
Good job scout, glad you caught some fish.
 Hope your prediction of it tightening up happens tonight or tomorrow ...will be able to easily walk in any direction then...a lot more options.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline CW88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4475 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Me and my in law met a nice guy from PA at apps and followed his crew out never fished there usually go out of constantia the walk wasnt horrible but the 3 inches of water in the shanty wasnt too fun walked out to the drop off and kinda just hung around on the deeper side of it not very good luck 2 perch for the day. We did find some really sketchy spots along the 4 wheeler trails where it was opened up and not very thick maybe 2 inches so be careful out there.

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4476 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Maybe the person who lost his machine in the water should be liable? Hes the real reason there is a hole in the ice!!
By the sounds of it to me...IF this trench/hole were out in the middle of the lake where its HIGHLY possible someone could find it,  I'd agree with marking it...
However it sounds to me like this is close to a danger area as it is and people SHOULDNT be close to this area anyways

Speaking from experience (went through with the wheeler almost seven years ago), I marked the spot with three wooden dowels, masonry twine, and a couple pieces of survey tape tied to the twine. Forgive me, Mother Nature, for the survey tape in the water come spring, but I am ok with that if it saved a life. All the rest was biodegradable. Let's be honest....two/three linear feet of survey tape around the gas hole I went through pollutes the lake less than one weekend in Three Mile.

Offline Rickr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4477 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Thanx scout

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4478 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:18 PM »
about the Constantia sled recovery site. They should at least put up some police tape along that long trench and big hole.

I have been to ice derbies where the sponsors use sticks in the ice and put up police tape as a warning of weak ice or open water areas.

If someone can post or message me coordinates of this trench, I could post it on the Gasholes Map.

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4479 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:16 PM »
Looking on making first trip up to Onieda. What are the ice conditions  off of Lewis Point.  Looks like your getting some good ice making temps. Would one say it would be safe to take a sled from the point to messenger shoal ?  Thanks  and tight lines!

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4480 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Took the sled out of Williams this morning.  Worst day on Oneida in my career!!  Started in 26', marked 2 eyes rather early 8:30, moved by 9 to 20', marked nothing, moved at 10 to 16', marked some perch the size of my jigging rap.  Off the ice by noon.  Absolutely pathetic.  I used my camera to see the jig size perch in 16' and used my garmin panoptix elsewhere.  I panned out 50' from my hole, pounded the bottom religously and could not stir up anything anywhere.  I wont be fishing out of there for the rest of this so called season, back to the beach for me.  Ive limited on eyes and roughly 10-20 jumbos every outing, 6 so far, not including todays debacle.  Sorry had to rant!!!
I found anywhere from 6-8" of ice everywhere, sled handled the slush fine.  Should be firmed right up come tomorrow!

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4481 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Waiting till Sunday here. Everyone be careful and good luck.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4482 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:42 AM »

Was slow for goon and I , slowest day we’ve had to date , ended up with 8 really nice perch and 2 eyes and dumped some nice eyes , perch were extremely finicky , today was the first time the eyes started showing up in numbers 😡
 Our drag out and back was a bit tougher due to the temps softening things up , with the temps coming things should tighten up nicely
 Good luck all and be aware of your surroundings give the streams plenty of room
 Give

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4483 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:28 AM »
Was slow for goon and I , slowest day we’ve had to date , ended up with 8 really nice perch and 2 eyes and dumped some nice eyes , perch were extremely finicky , today was the first time the eyes started showing up in numbers 😡
 Our drag out and back was a bit tougher due to the temps softening things up , with the temps coming things should tighten up nicely
 Good luck all and be aware of your surroundings give the streams plenty of room
 Give
good job Freddy and goon.......picked 6 jumbos and a nice eye in a short trip out of Williams yesterday......didn't mark alot but the ones I got were quality fish

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4484 on: Feb 14, 2020, 08:53 AM »
only can see couple of guys out there can not see any spots that indicate slush im guessing it set up got to work all weekend so wont be out till monday, 5 degrees on south shore top should def all be set up by tmrw....

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4485 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:51 PM »
I’m coming from the east on I-90 and want to know if it’s quicker to get off in Verona and head towards South Bay on route 31 or get off near canastota and head north on route 13 to South Bay. Any advice helps as I’ve never been to Oneida.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4486 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Canastota

Offline Tbell112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4487 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Anyone else venturing out to shackelton shoals tomorrow?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4488 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:52 PM »

Better day today caught some nice perch and I killed 2 perch eating eyes 😃walk was a snap , walk back was a bit chilly ,
 I’ll post pics in the morning taking tomorrow off

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4489 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Fished for eyes for the first time this season from 4:30-6:00. Ended up landing 5 keepers and a short. Lost a beauty at the hole and missed 3 others. Felt great to get out. Walked a mile round trip and like Fred said the walk was a breeze. Decent sunset and after dark on the walk in the horizon was orange. Here’s the 3 I brought home.

NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4490 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:05 PM »

Well done Bob

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4491 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:07 PM »
nice  job  man ain't no rust on your fillet knife  :thumbsup:

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4492 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:17 PM »
fished till 10 am this morning and the lake firmed up nicely......would think machine traffic should be a go everywhere by tomorrow......sled worked great this morning........picked a dozen jumbos and , as usual, :o dropped 2 nice eyes at the hole ( seems to be my m/o this year)......gotta sharpen my hooks I guess :o

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4493 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:18 PM »
good job Mr. Fillet

Offline Jonathan243108

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4494 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:20 PM »
Sweet

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4495 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Same to you Fred! Glad you had a better bite today.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4496 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Nice job you guy's....
Nice pictures and eyes Bobby DeadEyez !
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4497 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:56 PM »
2 degrees already on south shore

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4498 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:04 PM »
 :
2 degrees already on south shore
:thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4499 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:09 PM »
Nice job on the fish, guys.

I hit the evening bite. It was decent. Didn't mark a ton of fish but the ones I marked, ate.

Picked up one of the Frostbite Dinner Bell spoons this afternoon at the LP baitshop. I think the eyes liked it.

Traveling (walking) was a breeze.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.