Author Topic: alka seltzer  (Read 2830 times)

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
alka seltzer
« on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:07 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of using half an alka seltzer tablet inserted in your bait  when dead sticking for pike with big baits? Would this be illegal in mb and also would it be harmful to the lake ? Thanks js

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: alka seltzer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2013, 02:48 PM »
I read that the tabs are being used in big baits .Lets off a  bubble trail and apparently your bait will twitch like a dying baitfish.I read that some people also use it when they are using big rubber baits and tubes.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Interesting idea, the bubble trail they give off might attract fish to the area due to the movement.
It would be worth a try if legal, but I don't see anything wrong with trying it.

How do you attach them to a frozen bait or other lure?
I can see putting it in a hollow tube jig and it would bubble out the back end.

I wonder if the smell of alka seltzer would attract the fish? ???

WW

Offline sammy72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I think you would put a half tab in the mouth and the other in back hole of a baitfish.The exit points besides that im not sure.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Lets off a  bubble trail and apparently your bait will twitch like a dying baitfish.

That's weird, usually I'm letting off a trail of bubbles and twitching like a dying baitfish when I need to take one! ;D

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:56 PM »
That's weird, usually I'm letting off a trail of bubbles and twitching like a dying baitfish when I need to take one! ;D
:roflmao:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:08 PM »

That observation is spot on.... ;D

There was a fad back in the 90's with bass fishermen doing this. It was mostly done with a tube worm and a half alka seltzer.... I don't remember it being particularly effective. It must have shown some promise if the tournament guys were using it though.

Alka Seltzer is somewhat expensive, but not too expensive to give it a try.

I played with it when I was a kid. I had no idea how to pattern a bite and got most of my fish with the blind sow method. That being said, it may have some utility if you knew what kind of pattern it worked on. I was just poking and hoping.

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I always heard thats how you blow up a Sea Gull. Put an Alka Seltzer in a Smelt and toss it over to him. He gulps it down and flies away...BOOM.
I never tried it but maybe I will send the idea to MYTHBUSTERS.  ;D

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Plus, it the fish that eats you bait has the flu, it will feel better for a few hours!
Mike

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2013, 04:10 AM »
I always heard thats how you blow up a Sea Gull. Put an Alka Seltzer in a Smelt and toss it over to him. He gulps it down and flies away...BOOM.

This does have an effect on them.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.