Author Topic: Hardbead spoonin  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Bigggcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm not a man prone to sharing my secrets.
Hardbead spoonin
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Lookin to give these western perch something new to look at this winter. I've read and watched YouTube vids on these spoons. Do the work in deeper (20'+) water?  Seems like with the small hook gap you'd loose a lot. Is there any trick to working them? 

Thanks
Biggg

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hardbead spoonin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Once you set the hook crank the fish up fast and don't give them any slack or there is a strong chance they won't make it up the hole. Pay for the good ones made out of steel or copper for fishing deep. You would fall asleep before the cheap tin ones hit the bottom in 20' +.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Are these the same as "russian spoons"? The kind with a curved blade with a single hook coming off the bottom with a bead on it?

If so, I would say 20 ft would be the limit. I frequently perch fish 45 to 55 feet deep and I think I would go out of my mind waiting for it to get down only to watch a fish move on before it hit 30 foot!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Are these the same as "russian spoons"? The kind with a curved blade with a single hook coming off the bottom with a bead on it?

If so, I would say 20 ft would be the limit. I frequently perch fish 45 to 55 feet deep and I think I would go out of my mind waiting for it to get down only to watch a fish move on before it hit 30 foot!

It is the same thing, but like i said, if you get the larger sizes of the ones made of brass or steel they work. I know guys on simcoe who fish them down past 50'.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:49 AM »
It is the same thing, but like i said, if you get the larger sizes of the ones made of brass or steel they work. I know guys on simcoe who fish them down past 50'.

Gotcha! ;)
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:35 PM »
When we fish beaded spoons in that 30'+ were normally using much bigger heavier spoons like slab grabber and gusters are awesome.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Shhhhhhh.......

I've pulled a lot of fish out of 20-35 FOW with these.  If fishing deeper than 10' I break the bead off and tip with a spike or wax worm.  Keeps the same action and when stuck vertical it seems to make the fish commit more.  I fish them similar to a jiggin rap with a little more finesse, jerk them up hard let them flutter down flat, pause, repeat, pause a bit longer and look for a mark change on the bottom.  Repeat the process moving down and up the water column, it may take a minute or two, but if jumbos are in the area they will get a glimpse of the glitter and come in like a freight train!

Ones with the bead up to the barb are no good over 10', the fish is going to shake the hook unless you can keep constant tension throughout the whole fight, that's a bit of a difficult task in 30 FOW.  These are one of my go to baits when the fish are aggressive, if it's a slow bite they produce like any other flash type bait.

That's a quarter in the photo for scale.

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:44 AM »
try a slab grabber or a gusterspoon....

Offline 870comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:01 AM »
Love my slabgrabbers.. I don't go fishing without a bunch of them. When i hole hop i take my vex and two rods. One always has a slabgrabber on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.