Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake YBB  (Read 8760 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clear Lake YBB
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:31 PM »
Anyone doing the YBB this weekend? I’m headed up Friday afternoon/evening. Hopefully can manage to catch a few this year.

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake YBB
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:04 AM »
we are doing it again this year, also headed up Friday afternoon.  what hotel are you guys staying in?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:38 PM »
we are doing it again this year, also headed up Friday afternoon.  what hotel are you guys staying in?

Staying at the Microtel again.

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Plan on having some lucky beers and fishing tips at the best western sat night. see you on the ice.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Plan on having some lucky beers and fishing tips at the best western sat night. see you on the ice.

I might have to come over for those lucky beers and tips! 🍻

Offline JacobHokanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I have never heard of this, so I googled it. Do they really pay out $30K to the winner? I looked at the results from last year, I take it they cap the fish count at 30? Do you get to keep your best 30? Might have to try next year...

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:03 PM »
I have never heard of this, so I googled it. Do they really pay out $30K to the winner? I looked at the results from last year, I take it they cap the fish count at 30? Do you get to keep your best 30? Might have to try next year...

There is about $35,000 in total prizes. First place doesn’t win $30,000. There are some great prizes and payouts for a lot of teams. You get to weigh in your best 30 fish. It’s a good time and fills up pretty fast.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I did it once and I'll stick to less expensive trips from now on.  I found it to be overrated.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Rough day on the ice for us as far as yellows go. Caught a ton of small perch (like always) good amount of white bass and walleye.
Better luck tomorrow 🤞🏻

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:24 PM »

How did you do?

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I did it once and I'll stick to less expensive trips from now on.  I found it to be overrated.
I wonder how many people will keep wasting $150 for fishing for a trash fish?  Next Sunday for the new up and comers at Cornelia. 

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:00 PM »
I wonder how many people will keep wasting $150 for fishing for a trash fish?  Next Sunday for the new up and comers at Cornelia.

Just because it’s an invasive species doesn’t mean it’s a trash fish.  Ever ate one?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:54 AM »
I never could understand this idea. Paying to fish? The winner is determined by .07 pounds last year. Shove a few sinkers down 1 fish's throat and change your winnings. Then get some free stuff you don't want and get taxed on it. I'm the least competitive person you will ever find, that's probably partly why I don't get it.

Yellow bass don't taste very good. I've eaten enough to know they are better left alone.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:29 AM »
I think they gave away over $40,000 in prizes this year.

A 4-wheeler, and a Polaris Ranger being the top prizes.  The 4-wheeler is a random draw between all the teams and and the Ranger is a random draw for the TOP 25 teams that finish the event.  Prizes are given out to about 60 teams all the way down to 160th place this year.

It's a fun event, I have gone for the past 5 years.  I see people at the banquet that I only see once a year and it is fun to catch up with them.  As for the money, yes it costs plenty but there are the obviously reasons for that ($40k) and it fills up by December every single year. 

As for eating yellow bass, to each their own...I like them.  I also prefer a bacon cheeseburger over a steak...to each there own.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Spend 150 bucks for the entry, plus gas and lodging, to win a pistol bit? Or a 2-300 dollar prize? Only to turn around and sell whatever it is you won? Why not just buy a pistol bit and not go? Then at least your not out your money.  I’ll pass. It would be nice if they would take the money from the atv and side by side and spend it on more prizes. Treat it more like a derby. It’s BS that teams 26-29 gets nothing. But 30th does. The prizes don’t justify the cost IMO.

Also, I don’t see how all the top teams were so close in weights and then first place blew them all out of the water by a pound?? Last time that happened, first place guys got busted for cheating... Somethings not right there...

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Spend 150 bucks for the entry, plus gas and lodging, to win a pistol bit? Or a 2-300 dollar prize? Only to turn around and sell whatever it is you won? Why not just buy a pistol bit and not go? Then at least your not out your money.  I’ll pass. It would be nice if they would take the money from the atv and side by side and spend it on more prizes. Treat it more like a derby. It’s BS that teams 26-29 gets nothing. But 30th does. The prizes don’t justify the cost IMO.

Also, I don’t see how all the top teams were so close in weights and then first place blew them all out of the water by a pound?? Last time that happened, first place guys got busted for cheating... Somethings not right there...

Someone’s a hater..

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Nope. I used to do the YBB every year. It’s getting bigger and bigger. Number of contestants have gone up. Entry fee has gone up. Price to get a table at the bash has gone up (to an insane amount). Raffles are all overpriced. The cost to do it just keeps going up and the prizes stay the same. And I hate to say it but for the cost, the prizes aren’t that great! Yes lots of people didn’t go home empty handed. But lots did. And the people who did win something, well they paid for it! I suppose you could call me a hater if you wish. I know others who have said it’s not worth it anymore either. For what it cost me to do it, I’d rather go to South Dakota for the weekend. Or anywhere other than a clear Lake.

Just because it’s an invasive species doesn’t mean it’s a trash fish.  Ever ate one?

Yes I have. They taste like crap. No thank you.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Nope. I used to do the YBB every year. It’s getting bigger and bigger. Number of contestants have gone up. Entry fee has gone up. Price to get a table at the bash has gone up (to an insane amount). Raffles are all overpriced. The cost to do it just keeps going up and the prizes stay the same. And I hate to say it but for the cost, the prizes aren’t that great! Yes lots of people didn’t go home empty handed. But lots did. And the people who did win something, well they paid for it! I suppose you could call me a hater if you wish. I know others who have said it’s not worth it anymore either. For what it cost me to do it, I’d rather go to South Dakota for the weekend. Or anywhere other than a clear Lake.

Yes I have. They taste like crap. No thank you.

That’s fair. Prizes were over $50,000 this year. I believe it’s one of the if not he biggestbice tournaments around. Not everyone that enters the tournament should get a prize..  I like the tournament just for the competition and meeting a lot of good ice anglers. $75 entry fee per person isn’t terrible plus $79.99 for the hotel I paid for the two nights. It would be hard to go out of state on a regular fishing weekend and not spend more then that. Food, hotel, gas, food every meal out, beer 😉

With all that being said, where do you recommend I go in SD for some good ice fishing? And why SD over MN. You can DM if you would like so we don’t hijack this thread

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Something like 132 teams with no fish and 216 teams with 5 fish or less.  That's a lot of people. Number of fish keep going down and people will stop fishing the Gimmick. I have not and will never eat a yellow bass. Everyone I catch is donated to someone or killed and thrown out. I catch enough perch and walleyes. My opinion only.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Something like 132 teams with no fish and 216 teams with 5 fish or less.  That's a lot of people. Number of fish keep going down and people will stop fishing the Gimmick. I have not and will never eat a yellow bass. Everyone I catch is donated to someone or killed and thrown out. I catch enough perch and walleyes. My opinion only.

Just curious to why you bash them so much if you have never had one?

Offline Stellahound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:34 PM »
We have fished YBB for 3 years in a row. Our first year we caught our limit and had a great time. Last year was much slower and this year we only caught one yellow and that was on Saturday. We still have a good time going to Clear Lake and getting away for the weekend. I would assume that the numbers of yellows are down considerably, as in the past it was pretty easy to get a pile of them.

It looked like the fish we saw at weigh in seemed to be a bit heavier than in the past. Even though we struck out, we still had a good time.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:28 PM »

Bash a trash fish?  Why do you like this trash fish?  Yellow bass are ruining lakes in Iowa and will continue to until a disease takes them out. How dumb can anyone be to pay someone to fish for a yellow bass?  Bryfish84 what place did you take at the YBB?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Bash a trash fish?  Why do you like this trash fish?  Yellow bass are ruining lakes in Iowa and will continue to until a disease takes them out. How dumb can anyone be to pay someone to fish for a yellow bass?  Bryfish84 what place did you take at the YBB?

They are an invasive species, yes. They are also fun to catch and to a lot of people (not you) pretty good on the table. If they are ruining a lot of Iowa lakes in Iowa as you claim aren’t tournaments like the YBB that take thousands of them out of the lake in a single day a positive thing?  Also, I would like to see your data that they are ruining any lake in the state. Two lakes that I know of that have yellows in them are Clear Lake and Okoboji both seem to still be fine fisheries.

Why are you so upset about other people enjoying a fishing tournament? Wife not allow you to come out and play so you have to piss on everyone else’s fun?

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Bryfish do you know there is no lake called Okoboji.  West Okoboji, East Okoboji 2 lakes. West Okoboji,  East Okoboji,  Minnewashta,  Upper Gar, Lower Gar, Beeds, Little Wall, Cornelia, Clear, 5 Island, Lost Island all have the Trash fish. Reservoirs in southern Iowa have been renovated over the years to remove this Trash fish.
How many Trash fish did you catch and what was your place at the tournament?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Bryfish do you know there is no lake called Okoboji.  West Okoboji, East Okoboji 2 lakes. West Okoboji,  East Okoboji,  Minnewashta,  Upper Gar, Lower Gar, Beeds, Little Wall, Cornelia, Clear, 5 Island, Lost Island all have the Trash fish. Reservoirs in southern Iowa have been renovated over the years to remove this Trash fish.
How many Trash fish did you catch and what was your place at the tournament?

Thanks for clearing up the okoboji thing for me. I had no ideas there were multiple lakes up there. How come you are so interested in the amount of fish we caught at a leaf this weekend and what place we finished? What if we caught more than our limit and had to sort for the best 30? Or only 20 or 10 or even 0? How would that make you feel better? Why are you even looking at a thread about a trash fish tournament that you would never even consider getting in?

Isn’t the YBB a good thing for the lake? Getting the trash fish out? 😉 I’m not sure on your angling ability, but I have done prettt good in the past few years on a Clear, East, West (I’m assuming those are the lakes I was on. Thanks for clearing that up) both on the ice and open water.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Thanks for clearing up the okoboji thing for me. I had no ideas there were multiple lakes up there. How come you are so interested in the amount of fish we caught at a leaf this weekend and what place we finished? What if we caught more than our limit and had to sort for the best 30? Or only 20 or 10 or even 0? How would that make you feel better? Why are you even looking at a thread about a trash fish tournament that you would never even consider getting in?

Isn’t the YBB a good thing for the lake? Getting the trash fish out? 😉 I’m not sure on your angling ability, but I have done prettt good in the past few years on a Clear, East, West (I’m assuming those are the lakes I was on. Thanks for clearing that up) both on the ice and open water.

You're welcome on having the Okoboji thing cleared up. There are about 8-9 lakes up there, so it can get confusing for some people.😆  I was curious on how you placed at the YBB, sorry I hurt your feelings for asking a question. Maybe sometime you could give me some pointers on your fishing ability. I do struggle sometimes.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:04 PM »
You're welcome on having the Okoboji thing cleared up. There are about 8-9 lakes up there, so it can get confusing for some people.😆  I was curious on how you placed at the YBB, sorry I hurt your feelings for asking a question. Maybe sometime you could give me some pointers on your fishing ability. I do struggle sometimes.

Don’t we all

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:34 AM »
Bryfish

So "NO" to how many fish or place at the YBB?  I'm guessing you were one of the "0" teams. Maybe you can redeem yourself at the next big Trash fish tournament at Cornelia this weekend. It's only $80 bucks per team.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:44 AM »
I did not fish the tourney. I probably never will. I do drive up to clear lake early season just to catch Yellow Bass because I think they are decent table fare. You guys are seriously bitter. If you were not bitter you would not be spewing such hate. Listen, there are a whole bunch of people that enjoy doing the tournament and have no problem paying the entrance fee. That is their business. If you don't like it go do something else. Go fish somewhere else. Heck go start your own tournament and find out how difficult it can be to put something of that magnitude on. Continuously bashing the tournament on an internet forum is pretty sad and does not reflect well.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Lets stop the mud flinging, back on topic. If you have suggestions on how to make things better maybe get a hold of Kevan or anyone else that runs the tournament.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.