Author Topic: $100 ice rods and $50 reels??  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: $100 ice rods and $50 reels??
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I apologize if I came across a bit sharp earlier. I've come into the "buy once cry once" mentality after spending more money on cheap things a few times. I save money by using my softwater shimanos and just swapping them seasonally. A good reel/drag let's you make up for a weaker rod/line
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2015, 05:08 PM »
So my laker set up - a frabill rod that was under 30.$ , with an Okuma reel that went somewhere a little under 100. I can see where a more expensive rod might make very light hits on deep jigging more perceptible, I could definitely see that, but I don't THINK I'm missing many hits/fish with what I'm using, so who cares.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:20 PM »
since i have been targeting lakers(jigging), i have learned the lessor Chinese made stuff fails when I need it most. I stick with a medium action 36 inch rod. I like the shimano and the okuma reels due to their durability.
Last year, I bought a thorne brothers rod. a bit more coin but i go the extra mile keeping it ready. with lakers and jigging bucktails, the extra beef you get in a better rod will pay off. the medium action gives you the power of a good hook set with the sensitivity needed for feel

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Everyone needs to remember that all the hype about rods,  lures ,set-ups etc. -  are designed to catch fishermen. THE FISH DON"T KNOW !

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:26 PM »
I use a jig stick given to me by an old timer. It's my favorite.

I do have rod and reels but just can't seem to get the feel completely.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:39 PM »
Hey Dick.  I think there are 3 very important aspects to jigging, with the 3rd being the most important. A smooth drag is crucial but you don't have to spend $100 on a reel that has a good one. Good flourocarbon is 2nd, and I really don't think an expense jig rod is important as long as it isn't too flimsy. Most importantly is to toss the gloves and keep the line on  your exposed index finger so you can feel even the most subtle hits. I scratch my head when I see guys using gloves to jig. It doesn't matter what type rod you use. You'll feel that tap every time if you keep your finger on the line.Worked pretty well in Meredith last March, didn't it?  ;)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Denny, Nice guy you are....what are you going to do next, rat him out on his donuts!!!

No the pizza would get him in a lot more trouble than those high fiber chocolate covered donuts would.  :whistle:

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2015, 07:12 AM »
One of the universals in life is you only get to take out what you brought in with you.  Buy whatever you want.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Dick this will work fine for you. I copied your wife with all the information needed. It should arrive before first ice. With the money saved you can take her out to dinner and a movie.

Thanks, for this Denny.  :roflmao:
My monitor is very clean now, after I washed all the chew off of it.   ;)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:01 AM »

I'll PM you the site so you can order one.  @)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:16 AM »
I'll PM you the site so you can order one.  @)
Thanks Denny, I do need more rods and reels.  ::)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:51 AM »

Another reason not to chew.  :nono:

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I use my open water spinning reels, I just swap rods depending on the season. Shimano Sienna's ($30), Sedona's ($50), Sahara's ($80) all work great! Why use a $15 crappy spinning reel when you can just use your open water reels?
I do the same with my saharas and put them on st croix premier ice rods. Works out to be about an $80 combo but well worth it.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2015, 04:50 PM »
I have an ugly stick combo medium that I got at Nutes about 15yrs ago that I paid maybe $30.00 for ...still works as good as the day I bought it.. :tipup:

My wife confirms that her purchase of Ugly sticks has been confirmed ::)   But she is willing to consider better quality spinning reels even after she got me two in Eagle Claw in line reels.  Understand that she doesn't like to eat fish so she does it out of love for an old duffer who doesn't have anything else to do while she skis with her kids?
Dick

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:07 PM »

My wife confirms that her purchase of Ugly sticks has been confirmed ::)   But she is willing to consider better quality spinning reels even after she got me two in Eagle Claw in line reels.  Understand that she doesn't like to eat fish so she does it out of love for an old duffer who doesn't have anything else to do while she skis with her kids?
Dick

She's a keeper  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Are you guys jigging with the ugly sticks or bobber fishing?

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Jigging
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2015, 07:53 PM »
You can spend whatever you want on your gear, but please don't complain about the price of bait and tackle if you do spend big $$ on the gear.

Kind of buying a Lexus or BMW and complaining about the price of gas.

I use cheap tackle, and have had no problem with any of the rigs I use.
I have light and heavy action rigs to cover most needs.

The key is that you are happy with whatever you buy!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Another reason not to chew.  :nono:
I know it! I quit every time I eat and sleep, but it's a hard habit to break.
That is one of a few things I learned and retained in school.  ;)

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 23, 2015, 08:58 PM »
I haven't used an ugly stick ice rod in probably close to 10 years, but remembering back feeling the bite was terrible and seeing it just as bad.  If you need a cheap pole the best thing you can buy is an ht ice blue.  At least you can see it.  By the way, those $10 rods are the back up to my $100 rods

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2015, 01:21 PM »
 ::) My three ugly stick rods have been in use for more than 10 years and a replacement now cost $19.   The three that my wife got me were medium, light and ultra light and work great for any fish I have caught.  The light and ultra light show even crappie bites and because they are unbreakable I've even the medium on pike with a little bigger spinning reel.
I ice fish eat fish BUT if I were a competition ice fisher I might even spend $50 for a rod and $40 for a spinning reel?
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:16 AM »
 ??? ::)  OK!  This my favorite jigging rod.   Created from broken fly rod tip and handle.  The in line reel cost $29.
The Vexilar and Nils auger are expensive because I think those are the most important items and much better investment than $150 jigging rod?    On the other hand the fly rod was a  $300 Sage that my wife bought for me.   Maybe that's why she won't buy me any more expensive
ice rods ::)
Dick

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 25, 2015, 05:57 PM »
I remember You posting that originally. That was a Beautiful Brown!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:06 PM »
 ;D Thanks Keith.  I would have released it but it wouldn't fit back down the hole!!
Dick

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2015, 05:59 AM »
??? ::)  OK!  This my favorite jigging rod.   Created from broken fly rod tip and handle.  The in line reel cost $29.
The Vexilar and Nils auger are expensive because I think those are the most important items and much better investment than $150 jigging rod?    On the other hand the fly rod was a  $300 Sage that my wife bought for me.   Maybe that's why she won't buy me any more expensive
ice rods ::)
Dick

Dick I don't think that it looks too good for fishing there this year.  :(

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2015, 08:56 AM »
 ??? :-\  You may be right Denny.   The lakes are still at flood level which means they will be up and down for much of January?
But, if they just keep dropping the level I will be OK by February?   The stocked trout ponds will be great this winter.
Dick

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 27, 2015, 09:54 AM »
i use a $15 ht polarlite rod with a $20 frabill reel.i use this setup for trout, perch, crappie and just about everything else and it has never let me down.
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:04 AM »
i use a $15 ht polarlite rod with a $20 frabill reel.i use this setup for trout, perch, crappie and just about everything else and it has never let me down.

;D :tipup: :tipup:  I got two Polarlite rods for xmas and they feel great.  I'm going to put my two Frabill reels on them.   
Dick

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2015, 12:54 PM »
;D :tipup: :tipup:  I got two Polarlite rods for xmas and they feel great.  I'm going to put my two Frabill reels on them.   
Dick
they take 1/16 oz lures like a charm. i think they might be the best perch rod out there for what you r paying.
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline BarringtonBrad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • either on the ice or wishing I was
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I think the reel is the important part,i use 4lb test alot and don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime because my drag "froze up". Just picked up this sweet little combo,the 28" medium wright&mcgill rods are only 30-40$ and in my opinion is the perfect jaw jacker rod, got a lot of whip to it and a strong backbone.cant wait to rip some lips!

Tight lines!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.