Author Topic: "Allagash Lobster"  (Read 1359 times)

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
"Allagash Lobster"
« on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Last year I asked on either the NH or the ME board for a recipe for lake trout. Rumors I've heard in the past were that they were only good for chowder or C&R.  Well - "sweet lou" replied with a very simple recipe for "Allagash Lobster"  Basically take your fillets and cut them into 1" cubes, and poach in heavily salted boiling water until they float. Drain/dry the chunks and dip in drawn butter.  I was skeptical about such a simple recipe on something a lot of folks say aren't good to eat. Well, I kept the one 19-20" laker I caught this weekend at Sebago and vac sealed the fillets fresh up there. Tonight I broke them out and tried this recipe and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was indeed like a cross between lobster and a mild trout. I ended up eating both fillets and really didn't need to drown them in butter. they were darn good!!

Thanks sweet lou!!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: "Allagash Lobster"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Yup good stuff!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:34 PM »
I've heard someone reference "Allagash Lobster" before but never could figure out what it was. Thanks for posting. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Yes, very simple and phenomenal.  I like equal parts sugar and salt dissolved in the water, then boil the chunks for 10 minutes.  How much sugar/salt each depends on how big of a pot I make (i.e. in a smaller pot, I use about 1/3 cup of each). 

After sharing that recipe, I've definitely changed the minds of many people who claimed that they did not like togue.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Thanks for the recipe , been looking for some good ones ,and good luck this week it's snow shoes for me,

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:39 AM »
that exact recipe works great with pike as well!
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:45 AM »
we half boil them and then use new water to finish boiling them.  most of  the grease comes out in the first boil

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:05 AM »
 :o thanks for posting gonner try that @)

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:09 AM »
A long time ago when I worked as a cook in a restaurant, my bosses used to have us throw in a few cut lemons and stalks of celery along with salt into the lobster pot when we boiled them. They said it helped kill any fishy flavor and leave the lobster mild and sweet. I may try that the next time I make the "Allagash Lobster"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.