Author Topic: "taylor river reservoir"?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
"taylor river reservoir"?
« on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:53 PM »
Was driving back from the expo and saw some people on the ice right next to I-95 in Hampton area (near the liquor store).  Looked on google maps and it is called Taylor River Reservoir....never new people fished there!  And kind of surprised that ice is holding up today too...

What do people catch there?
TP

Offline Clams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "taylor river reservoir"?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I know there are some nice bass and picks in there from open water fishing it. Someone told me that every year herring make their way up in there, spawn upstream somewhere, and there offspring make for a good boost to the fish in there. I have never ice fished it but there is a slow current so be careful early season. Good luck if you try it sometime.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:18 PM »
drove by bellamy this morning around noon and  saw two snowmobiles on the north end.  one was about 20' from shore on the ice right by the parking area.  the other was almost in the middle of the lake.  no one was on it and there was a guy walking on the ice headed back toward the parking area carrying his helmet.  maybe it broke down out there?

anyway, no one has fished that end of the lake yet.  guess there's plenty of ice?!?!!?!  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:15 PM »
I was by Bellamy Friday afternoon and there was still open water.  Are you talking about the Rte 9 parking or the dam end?

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:14 AM »
The Taylor is pickerel heavy, and there is some concern that the apple pesticides up river are in the fish, there is current and it is very shallow in most places.  If you have not fished it in open water you should use caution when fishing it with ice, the conditions due to current can change in a few feet, so make no assumptions about the ice conditions from your previous hole.  Also if you have not fished it in open water it can be very hard to find the open (non weedy) areas to fish in.  this can lead to a very frustrating day if you are hopeing to drill a few holes and fish fast.  The hot hole can be as little as 3' away from your previous hole.  So my reccomendation would be to learn the river in the summer then apply your knowledge on the ice the next winter, unless you are of the patient type.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I was by Bellamy Friday afternoon and there was still open water.  Are you talking about the Rte 9 parking or the dam end?

the rt 9 parking area.  the guys truck and trailer were parked there and the sleds were out on the north side of 9...

Offline dbritt0482

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Are you a bad fish too?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I lived on there for a few years and ice fished it quite a bit. the 95 part your talking about has a 30 foot hole in it that i've slammed some good bass in. the rest of the reservior is very shallow 5-10 feet max and is poor fishing unless your going for horn pout. on the great side the pout are huge!! but it will definately make for a slow day of fishing.
It's Frickin freezing in here mr. bigglesworth!!

Offline dbritt0482

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Are you a bad fish too?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:00 PM »
slow fishing on ice that is. open water is a whole different story. be weary of the snappers if you try it though the guy who was talking about the pollution is right........i think it made the ninga turtles in real life. 
It's Frickin freezing in here mr. bigglesworth!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.