Author Topic: leader for pike  (Read 17329 times)

Offline icenut_

• Team IceShanty Regular
leader for pike
« on: Jan 09, 2015, 10:50 PM »
is there something besides a steel leader I can use on tip ups for pike? I believe pike can see the steel leader and won't bite. is there something less visible I can use that pike wont break or cut through? :tipup:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: leader for pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Flurocarbon... It's not steel but it's the next best thing. Use the hard leader type not fluro fishing line, there is a pretty big difference.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Seaguar-Fluoro-Premier-Fluorocarbon-Leader-Material

Otherwise there is thin steel. I use this stuff quite a bit. The nylon coated stuff is nice because it doesn't kink as easily, but it looks like winch cable next to uncoated line like this.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/American-Fishing-Wire-Surfstrand-Camo-Wire

600 feet will last you a looooooooooooong time. lol

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:21 AM »
I use Malin BOA titanium 20 lb. .008 dia.. Seagaur Premier Fluoro is .015 in dia.. That is one thousandth more than half of the diameter of the fluoro. Largest pike caught on it, 17 lb. 8 oz.
Replace due to wear and tear after roughly six caught pike. I've seen too many pike lost on fluoro. This is all I'll use.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:18 PM »
fluorocarbon or titanium. I am using 80lb fluoro right now. Boa No Kink is good stuff as well. Can tie knots with the stuff.

But I must add you can do just fine with steel. I caught a lot of pike on steel, a lot. And some big ones.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Just me but don't over think this. If pike know what steel leader is and don't bite why don't they recognize what hooks are? Doesn't add up for me. That said, you basically have two choices:

1.) Opaque - steel, titanium or "superline". Only the steel and titanium are cut proof. I know guys say they do great with superline but it would be dead last on my list. Steel (uncoated) is just as thin as Ti but much cheaper, easier to work with and more flexible.

2.) Transparent - Mono or fluorocarbon. If you go this route make sure you purchase actual leader material, not line intended for spooling a reel. It is much tougher that spooling line. of the two fluoro is head and shoulders above mono for cut resistance. Notice I used the word "resistant" in place of "proof".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:44 PM »
To comment about superline...

I am 101% convinced that superlines like spiderwire, power pro, and suffix 832 are the most prone to bite offs of all lines. Using this stuff for leaders is counter productive. you are better off with 10lb mono than 50lb super braid. I actually went as far as experimenting with a large pike I took home to eat after getting severe gill and throat damage. I could not cut 20lb mono or fluro without raking it back and forth on the teeth several times. 10lb mono took 3-4 swipes. 50lb Spiderwire and 30lb power pro cut in the first rake. I wish I had taken a video of this.

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:30 PM »
For pike I use 30lb Flurocarbon leader with great success

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:11 AM »
To comment about superline...

I am 101% convinced that superlines like spiderwire, power pro, and suffix 832 are the most prone to bite offs of all lines. Using this stuff for leaders is counter productive. you are better off with 10lb mono than 50lb super braid. I actually went as far as experimenting with a large pike I took home to eat after getting severe gill and throat damage. I could not cut 20lb mono or fluro without raking it back and forth on the teeth several times. 10lb mono took 3-4 swipes. 50lb Spiderwire and 30lb power pro cut in the first rake. I wish I had taken a video of this.
not surprising, that's why it's incredibly easy to cut braid with a knife. Its the worse thing you could use for a leader.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:12 AM »
You couldn't convince me that pike care about the leader.  I've always had success with coated steel leaders, there's even a guy around here that I just found out kills it with piano wire.  After seeing many break offs with flouro and mono up to 50lbs. I just have a hard time chancing it.  I did tie up some flouro leaders this year to try and experiment but I haven't even gotten them wet yet.  I have a pack of that Knot 2 Kinky titanium and that stuff is a really neat concept, the stretch is unreal, however; It's nearly impossible to crimp it due to the lack of coating and the decrease in diameter when stretching and I just hate how ugly it ties even though it's probably very strong, something I thought you might be interested in though, if you don't like thick steel leaders.  Good luck to everyone this season!
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Pike can get line shy. Not like walleyes, but there is a time and place when coarse tackle will only catch smaller fish. Snot rockets don't have much common sense when it comes to eating a pound of hooks and three feet of winch cable, but the big ones that have been pressured will look at it and NOPE.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:09 PM »
I use a lot of knot 2 kinky. I use #2 crimp sleeves.  But I ha e to bend the tag end and run it back through a second time.  Otherwise it slides right back out of the sleeve.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Reguarding steel,I think they have a memory to a degree of associating a steel leader with a bad experience like getting yanked out of the water.. Do i know it for a fact ? no.. No one 100% can say either way, we'd have to get into a pike brain to figure that one out..

What i more firmly believe in is this, lighter leaders and tackle are less taxing on baits endurance, or liveliness so to speak..Making it more visible from a distance  and more apt to try and escape or evade an incoming pike making for a more natural presentation..

For the record Ive yet to have a member of the Pike family rip through a polymer line on me, Ive caught some pretty good size fish.. Pike in my avatar I had 30lb mono on.. If you play the fish right and wear them down instead of trying to play tug of war with them lines will mysteriously stop snapping..

I really believe thats what most experience and pass it off as the fish ripped/bit through the line..

Just my opinion formed from observations fishing with others.. Whole lotta guys i see out there trying to bulldog a big fish in.... Let em run and keep the steady pressure on them..

@)

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:59 PM »
My buddy got cut off before he even got to the flag while he was using 60lb floro. He got there and no line was out and the hook and bait was gone. He was using dead bait and there was no drag tension on the tipup, the fish bit through the floro in the initial strike. If they bite the leader the right way even a small fish can cut 60-80lb floro. That being said I like using 60 or 80 floro because I fish pressured lakes with clear water and I've got a lot more flags since I switched from steel. You will get cut off occasionally even with line that heavy, going lighter than 50 and your asking for trouble. I've also messed around with crimps using steel, titanium and floro and I'll never use them while ice fishing again. I've seen them fail too many times. If you crimp it down too hard you can damage the line, not enough and it will slip, and even if you crimp it just right water gets inside the crimp and when you take your tipups out at the end of the day the water inside the crimp can freeze and expand the crimp causing it I slip on a future trip.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:59 PM »
My buddy got cut off before he even got to the flag while he was using 60lb floro. He got there and no line was out and the hook and bait was gone. He was using dead bait and there was no drag tension on the tipup, the fish bit through the floro in the initial strike. If they bite the leader the right way even a small fish can cut 60-80lb floro. That being said I like using 60 or 80 floro because I fish pressured lakes with clear water and I've got a lot more flags since I switched from steel. You will get cut off occasionally even with line that heavy, going lighter than 50 and your asking for trouble. I've also messed around with crimps using steel, titanium and floro and I'll never use them while ice fishing again. I've seen them fail too many times. If you crimp it down too hard you can damage the line, not enough and it will slip, and even if you crimp it just right water gets inside the crimp and when you take your tipups out at the end of the day the water inside the crimp can freeze and expand the crimp causing it I slip on a future trip.
Completely agree with the crimping..

As per your buddy, it sounds like something else went wrong to me, like accidently reverse winding the line on the tip up for a few wraps.. Ive caught myself doing it a few times.. Just seems like you would need a cut edge to cut edge pinch point to sheer through 60lb fluro hanging freely... Just my opinion..

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Completely agree with the crimping..

As per your buddy, it sounds like something else went wrong to me, like accidently reverse winding the line on the tip up for a few wraps.. Ive caught myself doing it a few times.. Just seems like you would need a cut edge to cut edge pinch point to sheer through 60lb fluro hanging freely... Just my opinion..
Nope, he is very particular about his gear and knows what he's doing. He's no amateur, even writes for On The Water magazine. Definitely wasn't equipment failure. I jinxed myself by posting about how I like floro leaders btw...snapped one off on the hook set today using 80lb floro. I didn't even feel the weight of the fish.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:32 AM »
i have used 20# mono for years with no complaints. pike arent line shy. we just used to tie to the 40# dacron years ago, and still caught fish.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:44 AM »
i have used 20# mono for years with no complaints. pike arent line shy. we just used to tie to the 40# dacron years ago, and still caught fish.

If you ran 20lb mono up here you would regret it quick fast and in a hurry..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:01 PM »
I'll offer some dissenting opinions on a couple of things:

1.) I used to think crimps were evil until I ran out of freshwater fishing shows and started to watch the saltwater ones. Most of these guys live and die by the crimp and they are usually catching much bigger fish than we are. Yes, Virginia, there is a right way and a wrong way to crimp. I came across some very informative material and I have changed my tune. That said, I still prefer steel and there are better ways than crimps to connect that.

2.)

As per your buddy, it sounds like something else went wrong to me, like accidentally reverse winding the line on the tip up for a few wraps.. Ive caught myself doing it a few times.. Just seems like you would need a cut edge to cut edge pinch point to sheer through 60lb fluro hanging freely... Just my opinion..

I've had this happen experimenting with "plastic" leader material. I am not a fish horser. What I believe happened in my cases is that fish got off aways through heavy weeds, turned a couple of corners and by the time I got to it it was likely mostly cut thru already. Just my surmising...

So toothy critters on light leaders in open water, you stand a chance IF you don't get too excited. In heavy cover, I'll bet on the fish. That said, I still treat my 20# uncoated wire pretty gingerly. It's not a horse rig, just insurance against something unforeseen.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:45 PM »
To play devil's advocate...

I've noticed a a direct correlation between "bite offs" and poor ability to tie a knot while fishing with others. Guys who fumble with their knots or only can tie one or two knots effectively get "bit off" much more than guys who have a half dozen or more knots memorized and understand when to use them. The best line on earth is worthless if it cant be terminated effectively. Why do people have this knot slipping/breaking problem with pike? They are heavier in the water, and anglers tend to set the hook with much greater force than with other species.

Also, I notice MANY more "bite offs" in zebra mussel infested waters. Those things are a real pain.

I think lots of line and knot failures get blamed on pike teeth. I'm pretty sure there are other factors in play in many cases though.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Used to use 20# mono leader about 2' long, caught 100's of pike up to 15# and was never bit off!!  Maybe just lucky!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:02 PM »

I've noticed a a direct correlation between "bite offs" and poor ability to tie a knot while fishing with others. Guys who fumble with their knots or only can tie one or two knots effectively get "bit off" much more than guys who have a half dozen or more knots memorized and understand when to use them. The best line on earth is worthless if it cant be terminated effectively. Why do people have this knot slipping/breaking problem with pike? They are heavier in the water, and anglers tend to set the hook with much greater force than with other species.

Also, I notice MANY more "bite offs" in zebra mussel infested waters. Those things are a real pain.

I think lots of line and knot failures get blamed on pike teeth. I'm pretty sure there are other factors in play in many cases though.

All due respect Skipper, I'm one of those guys that only knows a few knots. But they are good ones and do everything I need them to do for me. Like not slip with superlines that I use almost exclusively for open water applications. Palomar and Uni are 100% non-slippers. I know and have used some "old school" knots like the Trilene (quick and effective for mono/fluoro lines), blood, nail (I use for snelling) and clinch knots. When it really comes down to it I could rely on about 4 or maybe 5 good knots. I could do the "Knot Wars" thing but I like simple and effective. That's just me.

I also know the difference between a returning pig tail (bad knot) and a bite off (8 of 14 inches coming back).

I know..... "Devil's advocate". I do that sometimes too. And yes, zebras suck. Razor sharp. We've got 'em all over area lakes.

Just my experiences.

And Gills, if I were you..... all I'd do is buy lottery tickets.  ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:08 PM »
I do never came close!!!!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:15 PM »

It is easy to tell a bite off, from a bad knot. If your knot came undone, the last few inches of line you pull up will be all coiled up. I've seen it happen a lot, but like you mentioned, it often comes on the hook set. I can't remember a "bite off" that happened instantly. All the ones I had were mid fight, often as a run at the hole. In open water, people often catch pike while walleye fishing with Lindy rigs. As with a quick strike, you often have multiple hooks if you use a crawler rig. I think that plays a huge part. I've had it happen a number of times I have pulled in a pike on my quick strike with one hook cut off (and in the mouth), and the other still holding on. But those rigs need a relatively violent hook set, which also often PO's fish and really gets them to fight right away. I've lost, and seem people loose some good fish to fluorocarbon. Would the fish have bit if it were a steel leader? Who knows. I still use fluorocarbon, but it is becoming used less and less. It has become more of a secret weapon for me. If fish don't bite, I have pre-tied rigs I just need to put on my tip ups. I am still firmly set on 40# being the bare minimum for bait fishing pike. No fluorocarbon is bite-proof, but 40# gives you a solid chance.
-Tom

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Used to use 20# mono leader about 2' long, caught 100's of pike up to 15# and was never bit off!!  Maybe just lucky!

Never bit off once, 20lb mono, hundreds of pike. hmmmmmmmmmm..

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:31 PM »
     These were not large pike, biggest 15#, used to catch about 40 -60 per year, believe what you want!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:11 PM »

100s of pike here also.. more than a few over 20lbs , never had fish bite through the line.. Must be the 2 luckiest fisherman alive..

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:40 PM »
100s of pike here also.. more than a few over 20lbs , never had fish bite through the line.. Must be the 2 luckiest fisherman alive..

Naw, where I live the pike have sharper teeth!  ;)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:58 AM »
  Guess gotta know what ur doing!!  Yes, change the leader after catching one, that's common sense!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:46 AM »

I heard they have a better dental plan out your way  ;D

In all seriousness, confidence in what you are using sometimes is all you need.. The leader debate will never die. Steel, wire, fluro, mono, braid, dacron .. The all work...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I heard they have a better dental plan out your way  ;D

In all seriousness, confidence in what you are using sometimes is all you need.. The leader debate will never die. Steel, wire, fluro, mono, braid, dacron .. The all work...
           Agreed!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.