Author Topic: Spyder Wire or To use a stell leader?  (Read 5191 times)

Offline pwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spyder Wire or To use a stell leader?
« on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I just got some spyderwire stealth braid 50 pound test for my leader material, has anyone else tryed this

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: Spyder Wire
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:34 PM »
No good for pike.  Their teeth will cut through it with ease.  Go with 30, 40 or 50lb. florocarbon. 

Offline Soupy944

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:25 PM »
ive used it on my tip-ups with no problems at all.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I use braid as main line but use wire or flouro for leaders.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:12 PM »
you may land a few but for the 2 weeks I used it after the second larger fish I lost i threw it away.... use the flouro for leaders

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I was bitten off twice on my polar tip ups before I even set the hook. Needless to say I switched to 20# flouro and haven't looked back.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:48 AM »
i use steel, dont they bite through that floro ? 

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:50 AM »

The ones up here sure do!

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:44 PM »

Been using flouro all season and haven't been bitten of once yet. I have had to re-tie a few times but that's it. I would use wire but I seem to have twice the catch rate as the fishermen that are using wire. I have purchased some pre made wire leaders for pike and they have yet to catch one.

Offline pike46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Braid is totally unpredictable. steel or floro. I use braid as a main line. but have occasionally broken 40lb test on a cast.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:25 PM »
They bite through floro if 1) you set the hook way too hard, 2) you fight them like you are in a hurry or 3) you try to lift them out of the hole by the floro.  Very little if any hookset is needed and you have to let them fight a little.  The fight at the hole is the crutial time to let them fight.  I have been using floro for 6 seasons now with 0 bite offs.  At first, I played them like I was using 4 lb test and got used to it and played them a little harder.  Like stated above, if the leader gets knicked after one fish, time for a new leader.  Keep spare leaders tied up ready to go to save time. 

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I agree on the flouro. I switched 3 seasons ago and haven't looked back. I use 50lb and have had great luck on it, and 0 bite offs to date. In fact, a group of us just got back from lake of the woods and we used flouro the entire time. We caught 6 pike over 40" and 12 over 34" with no break offs.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
To use a steel leader or not?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:53 PM »
I dont pike fish usually, but I now have a heavy ice rod spooled up with 20lb braid that I rigged because a few lakes I ice fish on have plenty of pike. Have been bit off a few times while perch/crappie fishing so I rigged a spare rod for the hell of it when this happens and the pike are biting. I never target them but its hard not to want to catch one when they are there. Never had any luck with the leader, but then again havent fished for them many times. Question is, should I just trust the braid and not worry about a leader? Is it highly beneficial to get them lured in without a leader? These arent giants, probably 20-24"ers is all ive seen where I go.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: To use a steel leader or not?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Use a leader. Pike bite through braid quite easily.
You can go with steel or fairly heavy flourocarbon (20# for instance for your smaller fish).

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2011, 12:31 AM »
I use a 130lb floro leader and have never had a problem. But then again, I'm a Musky fisherman ;)

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2011, 12:33 AM »
Thanks drifter. I kinda figured, but have heard of guys not usin the leader. I guess I would think if I was fishin them in the summer and using BIG baits, might be able to get away with not usin a leader. But with smaller spoons and jigging, probably better off with it.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2011, 01:12 AM »
Thought you were a green carp fisherman wally! ;D

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Nope. Started hunting wolves a few years back and never looked back ;)

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Use a leader of some sort as even small pike can bite threw the heaviest braid.  Steel, titanium, or heavy flouro.  If you use flourocarbon make sure its "leader" stuff, as regular flouro fishing line isn't nearly as hard and bite proof, I've had small pike bite threw 20 lb leader flouro, so I like to use at least 40lb if I'm actually targeting them, however I will use 20lb sometimes in lakes where there is lots of small pike but its not my target species, it helps enough but isn't always bite proof.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Always...they're not called freshwater gators for nothin'...or underwater goats. I use the thinnest plastic coated leaders I can find. If I lose one, don't want it to happen because it sawed off my line. 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:38 AM »
definitely use a leader.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Steel is the way to go, but you don't need much unless you're trying to horse really big fish. I use 20# uncoated stranded wire for almost everything. Cheap, versatile, low visibility, easy to work with...and bite proof. Learn to make a crimpless connection and you'll never look back.

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Steel is the way to go, but you don't need much unless you're trying to horse really big fish. I use 20# uncoated stranded wire for almost everything. Cheap, versatile, low visibility, easy to work with...and bite proof. Learn to make a crimpless connection and you'll never look back.

/mike

X2

Quick strike rigs, toothy critter leaders, a spool of sevenstrand and some swivels, snaps and treble hooks goes a very long ways for a little cash.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I would use a fluro leader rather than steel.  I have never had a break-off with fluro and have had much more luck with it than steel.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I use steel. I'm not going to take a chance of losing that twenty pound plus Pike I've been chasing for many   years. Uncoated 18 pound wire is very thin and hard to see.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I would use a fluro leader rather than steel.  I have never had a break-off with fluro and have had much more luck with it than steel.
x2  I fish Gin clear waters for wolves and floro is the only way to go.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:36 PM »
florocarbon in 50 lb, only because i don't like to kill a fish if it has swallowed my hook, this way i can cut it off and release it

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2011, 04:48 PM »
I use steel. I'm not going to take a chance of losing that twenty pound plus Pike I've been chasing for many   years. Uncoated 18 pound wire is very thin and hard to see.

This fish (28#'s) as well as 6 others over  20#'s were all caught on the same 40# Seaguar flouro leader this past spring.   
Using a 5" chartreuse bunny leech on a 9wt fly rod. @)
Flouro works well, especially the good stuff.   ;D

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:59 AM »
30lb Flouro here, I havent had any Issues with bite offs, and i've iced a few pike pushing 30lbs..Ive been a part of the debate before , steel vs flouro.. Its all the situation/conditions your fishing in.. Crystal clear water or using live bait = Flouro, for 1 its obviously less visible, 2 I believe bait stays a little more active with fluoro and if your fishing in stained water using live bait you want it to get noticed. Fishing with dead bait it really doesnt matter IMO as the pike are sniffing the bait out... Bottom line is both are effective under the right situation/conditions if you're fishing for a trophy or not....
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline esox1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2011, 06:30 PM »
but whats even more important is whats dangling on the end of that leader! ;) :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.