Author Topic: Jet Sled XL or Otter Sport Large?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Jet Sled XL or Otter Sport Large?
« on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:07 AM »
I need to buy a sled to carry my PB shelter and gear when I'm fishing alone.  My Lodge is just too much for me to manage by myself.  I will be dragging by hand.  These sleds are similar in size, weight and price; I think the Jet Sled edges the Otter in cubic feet, but are there any other pros or cons to either?  I'm looking at these two sleds in particular because they will accommodate the 60" length of the Polar Bird. Any bad experiences with either?  Thanks for any advice.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Jet Sled XL or Otter Sport Large?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:40 AM »
Otters are built to last and last ....and heavy to pull empty or full....Jet sleds tend to pull better by hand .. I would suggest if this is your primary sled ...and towing by hand get a Jet sled...so on days when your just bucket fishing w/o a shelter in early/late ice you wont have that extra weight . As always a Smitty sled comes in handy...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:43 AM »
It looks like the Otter sport large is about 4 pounds lighter than the jet sled and BPS has the otter on sale for $54.  That being said I have had no issues with my Jet Sled :)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:32 PM »
I have the Jet Sled XL, it's held up very well and hauls heavy loads very well.   Besides using it for ice fishing I use it to haul coal in, I load it up with eight five-gallon pails of coal each trip and it pulls very easy even in deep snow.

Offline crappieslayer56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:26 PM »
I have the regular jet sled (1 size smaller than the XL) and it has served me well. Suits my needs, carries my gear, and seems to be durable enough.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:59 PM »
Also check out sorocsport sport sleds the sell cheap like 64.99 for the big guy I paid and 44.95 for the small one plus shipping they some times have deals so look around.. like a large aND small sled packaged in the large sled for like 89.99 etc etc .. plus shipping .. so always worth looking in to..

I have the large version it toes my gear no problem I sold my small one but will be buying another soon.. it fit the hub in the small one with a tad of hang over.. of the hub shanty .. any how see link for more..

http://www.sportssled.com/#3069

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:45 AM »
First, thank you all for your replies!  I just wanted to let you know that I veered off my original choices a bit because I got such a good deal.  I ended up ordering an Otter Pro Medium sled instead of the two originally mentioned.  Yes, it's bigger AND heavier than the other two, but Gander had it marked $20 off retail at $109.99 already, and then their $20 off a hundred sale, AND free shipping!  I'm getting the thing delivered for $105.99!  Some places (Cabelas, Glenn's) charge $50 or $60 just to ship it!  It weighs about 10 lbs. more than the Jet Sled at 33 lbs., but if I ever want to take it out on Erie behind a sled or atv or haul a deer or two with it, I can and I know it'll hold up to the beating.  I also have a smitty sled to use with it locally if the snow gets to deep on the ice.  Now all I have to do is figure out where I'm gonna store it in the off season.   :P lol   
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Good to hear there you got bigger and better..

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Good luck with your new sled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.