Author Topic: Milwaukee died  (Read 3422 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Milwaukee died
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:57 PM »
A buddy of mine had a 2704 die on him while using it on a krill. He purchased from a friend and no longer in warranty. Since Milwaukee is closed at the moment has anyone had to repair out of warranty and know the cost? Tia.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Milwaukee died
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:58 PM »
The drill or the battery?

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:59 PM »

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I don’t know how they charge on them

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:27 PM »
This is not directed at/to anyone but, just as a heads-up service.

For at least 4 years there has been much chit-chat about the difference in cheap batteries and drill motors and the VALUE of lifetime warranty products.

Home Depot has both but, only Ridgid purchased AND REGISTERED for the lifetime warranty AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE qualifies.

It seems like cheap economy to reason just one little failure makes it worthwhile.

Jeez, even batteries are covered.  Buy once or buy junk, OFTEN.

Even a caveman like me can see the logic.      :cookoo:

If this had been an actual emergency you would have been warned.      ;)2

It's not a life or death situation ~ It's much more important than that.    :woot:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:40 PM »
That's what will make me a Grumpy Old Man.  A friend should never have sold ________ to a friend.

Krills are tough!  ;D

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:44 PM »
i read the switch was 115$ plus shipping for them installed.

For at least 4 years there has been much chit-chat about the difference in cheap batteries and drill motors and the VALUE of lifetime warranty products.

Home Depot has both but, only Dewalt purchased AND REGISTERED for the lifetime warranty AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE qualifies.
it is rdigid tools that has life time warranty, but this won't help the man now.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:46 PM »
i posted this a while back, unless you lie to ridgid the tools nor batteries are covered for ice drilling.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:01 PM »
i read the switch was 115$ plus shipping for them installed.
it is rdigid tools that has life time warranty, but this won't help the man now.
It was not directed, as stated.  And it's too late for me to spell it correctly. Sorry.     >:(

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:12 PM »
i posted this a while back, unless you lie to ridgid the tools nor batteries are covered for ice drilling.
I stand corrected, I have been under the instruction of Home Depot, "You bought it here, bring ir back here if you ever have a problem, we have the records here."

My question is where does Ridgid enter the issue?

Next thing we know you have them asking personal questions as, what color our Mother's wedding dress was?  My answer has always been, Sorry, I was not present"      ;D

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:13 PM »
The price for the bare drill is fairly reasonable (about $150 with a real quick look), especially compared to $115 for a switch repair. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:17 PM »
A buddy of mine had a 2704 die on him while using it on a krill. He purchased from a friend and no longer in warranty. Since Milwaukee is closed at the moment has anyone had to repair out of warranty and know the cost? Tia.
.     How old was this drill? Was it a pos when he got it?

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:20 PM »
.     How old was this drill? Was it a pos when he got it?
The drill looked brand new when he got. Used very very little. By the way, idahogator, with all due respect, I really don’t care about rigid drills or anything else at this point. Simple question as to if anyone has experience on price of the 2704 repair.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:28 PM »
The drill looked brand new when he got. Used very very little. By the way, idahogator, with all due respect, I really don’t care about rigid drills or anything else at this point. Simple question as to if anyone has experience on price of the 2704 repair.
I appreciate an apathetic attitude.  Did you happen to notice my statements were not directed at ANYONE?

Sorry, kind Sir for my failure to ensure I was understood. All my stupid fault.

I wish you a successful remedy to the issue.   I wish you a happy and successful ice season.

:icefish:

Good evening.    ;)2   

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:35 PM »
jwetovick
PM stripernut. his son had sent his in for repair and the repair cost, parts and shipping was worth more than the tool he said. he told milwaukee to keep the tool.
best to hear it from the man himself tho.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=profile;u=32658

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:52 PM »
I appreciate an apathetic attitude.  Did you happen to notice my statements were not directed at ANYONE?

Sorry, kind Sir for my failure to ensure I was understood. All my stupid fault.

I wish you a successful remedy to the issue.   I wish you a happy and successful ice season.

:icefish:

Good evening.    ;)2   
My bad. I really didn’t mean any disresct at all. I just wanted to try to keep the thread on topic to this Milwaukee issue. Tight lines.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:54 PM »
jwetovick
Pm wirenut. his son had sent his in for repair and the repair cost, parts and shipping was worth more than the tool he said. he told milwaukee to keep the tool.
best to hear it from the man himself tho.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=profile;u=47165
Was afraid of that. Thanks for the input 3300.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:00 PM »
gator my response was geared at your comment involving the ridgid warranty, thats where it came in.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:00 AM »
it's a bummer i know. i had this with a different brand before switching to ridgid.
ebay has them (2704) cheap, like 1 bill, but i'd stay far away from them and their tools. i think a new one is 129$ at homedepot and at least would have a warranty with it (for what it's worth). just use the old batteries and charger.
stripernut's son's drill was under warranty and they told him they would not cover the switch/labor/shipping because it was normal for it to wear out and not a warranty claim and it was only one year old when it died.

(off topic, excuse me jwetovick for a moment please)

idahogator,
for clarification and because you brought it up, when you buy from homedepot, they stand behind any tool for 90 days and they have a hassle free return policy. after that time your on your own with brand and warranty.
 except they do support ridgid brand tools as far as sending them out for repair for you and charge you 35$ to do so for shipping charges in case the repair is out of warranty such as you dropped it and it needs a new housing/case and is refunded if it is a warranted issue, but it is not the favored method.

taking them to a private authorized repair center takes care of them no questions asked. they just want your tools working again and for free. they replace batteries that don't need replacing and other parts known to wear out over time while they have them in their hands. they want to do it up. takes time, but it sure is nice knowing they care like that. i had one drill motor go out and they asked me to bring in every thing i owned made by ridgid and they went thru all of it and for free.

a fellow ice shanty member that is an authorized ridgid repair service center owner here spoke up about this procedure last year and mentioned he doesn't care how you use your tools either. if it's broke, it gets fixed. if the batteries are worn you get free replacements that are also life time warranted.

Offline Bullet21XD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:11 AM »
Try warming the drill up for a while. Mine will die occasionally...i'm assuming from a little frost/condensation. It will just quit. Hang it over the heater for a few minutes and it will work again.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:21 AM »
what one does that bullet?

Offline Bullet21XD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:10 AM »
It's 2704 Milwaukee.

I've had this happen a few times now. First time, I took it to the local service center. Dropped it off, the guy called an hour later saying there's nothing wrong with it.

Not sure of the cause. My fishing partner has one, and treats the drill similar to mine, and doesn't have the issue.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:45 AM »

This either varies by Home Depot or this is false information.

After 3 full seasons and over 3000 holes I brought my Rigid in to have it checked out. Next day i got a call and was told everything looked great on the drill. One of my batteries wasnt holding a full charge so they ordered me a new one under the warranty. The kicker? You get to keep the old battery. They remove it from the Service agreement and added the new one to the lifetime warranty.

I also asked if they knew about the drill auger craze and if it was covered. They are fully aware and stated the drill was covered.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:48 AM »
quickco, good luck with your needed service.

It was my son that got screwed by an authorized Milwalky service center (stripernut not wirenut... LOL). Batteries do have an LTW when bought as part of a "kit".

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:09 AM »

I'd refute that comment in a heartbeat.

Ive been using Ridgid tools as a contractor ever since they were introduced and have never had any questions about their warranty, even when I told the repair centers or Ridgid on their site that I intentionally used a tool of theirs in an inappropriate manner, they've still honored their warranty.

Was on a job site one year and had to drill through ceramic tile and didn't have the proper bit, so had to use a masonry bit instead.  Burned out the motor , the hammer portion of the hammer drill, the gear case and fried the trigger, sent it in with an explanation of what happened and they still fixed it...FREE.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:46 AM »
If it makes any difference he says it will run in gear 3. Damn thing.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:01 AM »

???  Gear 3?? 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Guessing that means in 3rd speed setting.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:14 AM »
thanks stripernut! not wirenut. was close tho.

so the motor is spinning, but not rotating the chuck except for 3rd speed is seems?
have him make sure the modes are locked into their detent and not stuck in between them and same for the speed selector.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:33 AM »
It's 2704 Milwaukee.

I've had this happen a few times now. First time, I took it to the local service center. Dropped it off, the guy called an hour later saying there's nothing wrong with it.

Not sure of the cause. My fishing partner has one, and treats the drill similar to mine, and doesn't have the issue.
that is odd. take it back and explain you need it to work in the sub zero temps (tell them you work/play in those conditions if you have to) and it won't function in those temps. it sounds like an open wire/contact that the cold opens up and closes when warm enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.