The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Stingray vs. Mako  (Read 3511 times)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Eskimo Stingray vs. Mako
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:16 PM »
I fish on foot and usually stay pretty mobile.  I need to replace my very old Magnum auger and can pick up either an Eskimo Stingray or Mako for the same $299 price.  The Stingray is 33cc (49:1 gear ratio) and 28 lbs. while the Mako is 43cc (30:1 gear ratio) and 32 lbs.  The Mako will obviously cut quicker, but is it worth carrying four extra pounds?

Your thoughts?

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Stingray vs. Mako
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:57 PM »
I can only speak for myself but I prefer the lighter auger.  I have an older mako that had a small tecumseh tcii engine and its really light, if I remember right its 25cc.  Its so easy to manuever and haul around.  No, its definitely not a speed demon through the ice, but I can pop a few holes fast enough, I dont think its any slower than my buddies ion.
The new Makos are a beast for sure, and if you need to pop holes a few seconds faster it may be worth it to you.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Had a mako before I got the kdrill. Heavy for sure. Go for the lighter weight. Ran a stingray once can’t anything bad comes to mind, other than the noise and smell of gas

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 11:40 PM »
If you ever foresee yourself needing a post hole digger go with the Mako. I bought mine as an ice auger but once I got the earth bit it has cut more holes in the ground than it has in ice.

Either one will work well if you are only going to use it on the ice. I'm sure other will chime in about how you should go with a cordless drill or this brand over that brand or one that is bigger and faster.  Nonsense...if it fits into your budget and gaining a whopping two seconds per hole over a different auger then go with what works for you. 

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2017, 11:58 PM »
After looking at all the numbers a little more carefully, I just ordered the Mako.  For 15% more weight, you get an engine that is 30% larger and produces about twice the auger RPM.  I'm used to lugging my old 10" Magnum around, so this one will actually be lighter (and stronger and faster).

Thanks for offering your opinions.  I appreciate it.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I have had a Stingray for 5 or 6 seasons now.  I don't know how you can beat it.  Starts easy,  cuts fast and is as light or lighter then most.  I always cut holes as fast or faster then those around me.  Im happy with it.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I have had a Stingray for 5 or 6 seasons now.  I don't know how you can beat it.  Starts easy,  cuts fast and is as light or lighter then most.  I always cut holes as fast or faster then those around me.  Im happy with it.

I would have been confident buying the Stingray, but getting more for $5 less seemed like a better deal.  Maybe at the end of the season I'll wish I had chosen less (weight) instead.  I'm a big guy and can suck up carrying the extra few pounds of weight.  That's what I'm saying now, anyway...  ;-)

Thanks again for the input, guys.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2017, 03:52 PM »
You won't be disappointed with the Mako.  The biggest thing is how you take care of them, if you beat the crap out of it it's going to break no matter what brand and model you get.  I add some Seafoam and Startron to my gas mix and never had any issues.  I'd used the Viper oil they recommend or if you can't find that get a quality oil such as Sthil, which is what I run in mine, because it's easy to find and has the stabilizer in it.  Also if you can get non-ethanol gas run that and it'll eliminate the ethanol issues.  Some guys run Tru-Fuel and swear by that but the big problem I have with that is the price.  Good luck with your new auger.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:24 PM »
go with the F1 rocket.

I have the mako 43 and I do love it (6 years ish) . Its been so reliable. but it feels to be around 35# and add ice and slush to the equation... gets to be a lot of work.

Rocket shows like 23ish #. It felt really light in the showroom compared to the mako. I would guess the F1 would cut just about as fast as my older mako 43.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:28 PM »
You won't be disappointed with the Mako.  The biggest thing is how you take care of them, if you beat the crap out of it it's going to break no matter what brand and model you get.  I add some Seafoam and Startron to my gas mix and never had any issues.  I'd used the Viper oil they recommend or if you can't find that get a quality oil such as Sthil, which is what I run in mine, because it's easy to find and has the stabilizer in it.  Also if you can get non-ethanol gas run that and it'll eliminate the ethanol issues.  Some guys run Tru-Fuel and swear by that but the big problem I have with that is the price.  Good luck with your new auger.

Thanks.  The new Mako will be treated right.  I bought it to replace my old OPE Magnum III, which lasted 30 years in my care.  :-)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:30 PM »
go with the F1 rocket.

I have the mako 43 and I do love it (6 years ish) . Its been so reliable. but it feels to be around 35# and add ice and slush to the equation... gets to be a lot of work.

Rocket shows like 23ish #. It felt really light in the showroom compared to the mako. I would guess the F1 would cut just about as fast as my older mako 43.

There is no doubt the Mako is a bit on the heavy side but, so am I.   ::)  By choosing the Mako, I will save money AND get more exercise.  I was really liking the Rocket, but needed to stay within the budget.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:24 PM »
I’m going to be the guy that mentions the drill.....Solely based on that you mentioned you’re a walker (I am too). Nothing will cut the weight like premium drill. Milwaukee bundles with two 5.0AH batteries is usually cheaper than $300. I bet you’d use a drill more in the off season than you would a post hole digger (that’s only an assumption. I don’t know what you do with you’re time). I went the Milwaukee route this year and can’t wait to use it this season. You could even use it to drill down ice anchors if needed.

For the weight alone I’d go with a drill. Also, if you run out of gas you aren’t drilling any holes. At least with a drill you can just bring you’re handle along and still drill.

Just my .02¢
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:30 PM »
For anyone else late to the party, I bought the Mako back in post #5 of this thread.   ;)

I really do appreciate all the input.  We're lucky to have so many choices these days, from excellent hand augers to cordless drill conversions to propane and electric augers; things that weren't around not too many years ago.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:13 PM »
One thing I did find just last week the Mako recoil starter broke at 17°F on the first hole.

I suspect the same recoil starter is used for both stingray and mako and though this is the older Mako with the vented gascap.
The plastic looks pretty thin where the recoil spring is captured in the housing and cold I suspect is the reason it broke.
It wouldnt be a bad idea to keep a spare set of blades and pull starter in your box of spares back in the car,  Nothing like driving for a hour to get to where your fishing just to have that little plastic crumble off on starting, basicly rendering your auger useless.

I see Eskimo sells a quick detach coupler so you can easily remove the auger from the powerhead to make space.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-16327-Auger-Quick-Release/dp/B00LDYGM4K&ved=0ahUKEwj_9o_7n_vXAhVOImMKHajKBOQQFghzMAA&usg=AOvVaw32YCLztt-I0UTq-mF6BiB0

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:05 AM »
One thing I did find just last week the Mako recoil starter broke at 17°F on the first hole.

I suspect the same recoil starter is used for both stingray and mako and though this is the older Mako with the vented gascap.
The plastic looks pretty thin where the recoil spring is captured in the housing and cold I suspect is the reason it broke.
It wouldnt be a bad idea to keep a spare set of blades and pull starter in your box of spares back in the car,  Nothing like driving for a hour to get to where your fishing just to have that little plastic crumble off on starting, basicly rendering your auger useless.

I see Eskimo sells a quick detach coupler so you can easily remove the auger from the powerhead to make space.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-16327-Auger-Quick-Release/dp/B00LDYGM4K&ved=0ahUKEwj_9o_7n_vXAhVOImMKHajKBOQQFghzMAA&usg=AOvVaw32YCLztt-I0UTq-mF6BiB0

With the hyper coil you don’t pull it like you do others....rope is shorter and not as much effort is needed to start them. Guys yank on these things like they are pull starting a 25hp lawn mower. That’s why they break. If temps at 17 or lower were the issue I would’ve had to replace dozens of recoils.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.