The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils on Clam plate  (Read 15519 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Nils on Clam plate
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Did the 1inch emt work?

Just got to open my 8in blue nils hand auger, and was gonna pair it up with my clam dril plate. Need to make an adaptor. Figure if the 1inch emt tube works I could make one in about 1min.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Did the 1inch emt work?

Just got to open my 8in blue nils hand auger, and was gonna pair it up with my clam dril plate. Need to make an adaptor. Figure if the 1inch emt tube works I could make one in about 1min.

the 1 inch emt fit over the regular laser adapters which convert them to nils adapters with wiggle room for the laser adaptor but tight for the nils auger.   all i got left is to open my clam plate tomorrow morning... then i will let you know if it fits after that this picture is of my blue 8 inch nils with 1 inch emt sleeved over it.   if the clam auger adaptor is smaller then the laser it mite need a sleeve in side the emt? like i said i don't know yet will know in a day or two.  i already got to open my 6 inch nils that my sister gave me tonight tomorrow i open the clam adaptor plate. 

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I'll get some 1 inch emt  and give it a try. Did you insert some kind of sleeve to go over the plate connecting rod, because it's much less than 1 inch OD?

that what i am thinking i will have to do.  like a piece of d.o.m. tubing thick wall just got to measure it and drill some hole  and cut it to length... and i should be good.... 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:39 PM »
that what i am thinking i will have to do.  like a piece of d.o.m. tubing thick wall just got to measure it and drill some hole  and cut it to length... and i should be good....

Well can't say for sure, but it looks like that's all the machinist did in a pervious post. I'll save the $60 and do my own if possible.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:25 AM »
just check this dom i had out it is 1 inch out side diameter dom with a 3/4 inch inside diameter for the dom needed.   it fits perfectly for the laser adaptor it is 1/8 inch wall dom tubing  the kind use in race car building of roll cages just a different sizes... if you need a link to some leave a message i can find you a on line supplier up here.  this dom i said fit the "1 inch in side diameter  emt"  see picture..

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:31 AM »
basically same stuff i got is item # T21120 at link below...

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=rndtube

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:53 AM »
Disclaimer: I don't have one so I don't know for sure... but I'll try to help you out anyway.

The Ice Gator Nils adapter won't work with the clam plate.  Ice gator lists adapters for every clockwise auger bit except for Strikemaster and Eskimo power auger bits.  That's because IGs don't need an adapter to be used with Strikemaster or Eskimo power auger bits.  They all have the same output shaft, which I believe is 7/8" non-threaded.

I happen to know with some minor modification or filing down the adapter one could get the Nils bit to fit the Strikemaster Solo powerhead shaft using the Ice Gator adapter for Nils.  If the shaft for ice gator is the same or similar to the strikemaster and Eskimo shafts then it may possibly work.

This may sound dumb but why not use PVC pipe to make an adapter?  Will the material be too weak, not hold and shatter?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:03 AM »

Will the material be too weak, not hold and shatter?

answered it your self to much torque on pvc tube... 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:46 AM »
basically same stuff i got is item # T21120 at link below...

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=rndtube

Thanks for the site, but I'm just gonna go to the hardware store or machine shop in town to get the pipe/tubing/emt stuff to make the adaptor. I dont wana spend more on the tube for shipping then the tube is worth.

If i get lucky the guys at the machine shop might just whip up an adaptor free of charge  from some old pipe scrap laying around. 🙏

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Well for those that need an adaptor but dont have acess to tools or a shop. This is being sold on ebay.

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I kind of gave up on this, due to not finding parts to do this myself. I resigned myself to just using the ice master drill adapter. Maybe I'll pick up one of these to use the clam plate. Thanks.
Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I had to go to a meeting and didn't have time to make/look for parts to make adaptor. So, I ordered the adaptor off the bay. You'll need one course threaded bolt to attach to the clam plate, and I found the perfect size pin to attach to the nils.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I found the perfect size pin to attach to the nils
          Where did you find the pin?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:56 PM »
          Where did you find the pin?

At the local bomgaars they have a nut and bolt bin area. Above that area they have plastic boxes of all kinds of weird stuff like these pins, weird bolts/nuts, and other stuff like springs.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Took out the milwaukee / nils 8in today. Turned it with no problem, and the nils was smooth, doesn't catch at all on the bottom of the hole like a lazer does.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Took out the milwaukee / nils 8in today. Turned it with no problem, and the nils was smooth, doesn't catch at all on the bottom of the hole like a lazer does.

This is why I also went with using a Nils auger

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:36 AM »
This is why I also went with using a Nils auger

Didn't realize just how long the auger was, heck I don't think a guy would need an extention for the nils.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Didn't realize just how long the auger was, heck I don't think a guy would need an extention for the nils.

Not sure what your talking about. I'm not using an extension

I  do like your quick release pin you came up with

My Setup

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:32 AM »
I just tried to buy the adapter off the bay. Would cost over 80 bucks to get it up here in Canada. The site won't let me send it to a US address even tho I provided a US shipping address. >:(
Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:49 PM »

I have tried drilling in 6"-8" of ice with my Lazer 8" bit and it also does not bind or catch at the bottom.  However my 7" lazer and the 6" clam does.  This has left me scratching my head. lol.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Not sure what your talking about. I'm not using an extension

I  do like your quick release pin you came up with

My Setup

Did the orange nils just slip over the clam bit? Nice setup.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:28 PM »

I have tried drilling in 6"-8" of ice with my Lazer 8" bit and it also does not bind or catch at the bottom.  However my 7" lazer and the 6" clam does.  This has left me scratching my head. lol.

My 7in lazer would catch, but if I lift up on it at the bottom it would break through fine. I will say I think my 7in lazer is faster, but it is cutting an inch less then the nils.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Just tried out my clam plate with Dewalt 790 on with a 6" nils.  HOLY CATS.  Talk about fast, smooth, and efficient.  I'm in love with this set up.  Would definitely recommend getting the nils auger!
Let's fish it.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Ready2fish please tell about your setup. I see that is the "orange nils" which is the drill chuck model. Did you just saw the top off and it fits good into the hollow tube? That would be great.
I have the icegator adapter and its too big. It would've fit too loosely on the clam adapter.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Ready2fish please tell about your setup. I see that is the "orange nils" which is the drill chuck model. Did you just saw the top off and it fits good into the hollow tube? That would be great.
I have the icegator adapter and its too big. It would've fit too loosely on the clam adapter.

Yes I did cut the end off just below the round plate, it was very easy, the hard part was I had to machine up a new adapter for a nice slip fit, the one that come with the clam plate has a smaller diameter

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:15 PM »

I have the 6" clam  auger , and when it goes thru just pull it up , no sticking, if you let it go all the way it will pull you to your knees, so when its about to go thru as soon as it does lift up, no problem!!

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Yeah ready2fish I just looked at my nils, took the blade off. The tube is approx 3/4" id, the adapter is 5/8". That's cool you were able to make a bushing.
I'm gonna order that eBay adapter. I was at a machine shop earlier and it sounded like he wanted to charge me way too much. "Well thats gonna take some time to make. I don't really have the stock..." I think he was trying to soak me for him to stay busy during his slow season. Too bad, I was thinking about having a run made for ebay. His loss.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Did a search. So far, I found a guy welded up a lathe chuck, and another guy took it in to a custom machine shop. I already have the adapter to go drill to hand auger. Has anybody else found a way to get the nils on clam plate?
I used the adapter for the nils got apiece of pipe that was a hair loose on the clam leveled it and welded done 6 bucks

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:24 PM »
I'll get some 1 inch emt  and give it a try. Did you insert some kind of sleeve to go over the plate connecting rod, because it's much less than 1 inch OD?
wrapped some electrical tape on shaft to make up the difference

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I think the nils will be the best set up for the clam it works so well on hand auger with no effort got the 6 inch may buy the 8 next year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.