Author Topic: Ice fishing gloves?  (Read 9382 times)

Offline Hardcore_Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing gloves?
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Does anybody know of any good ice fishing gloves?  I need gloves that are warm and waterproof but they also need to fit tightly around my hand so that I can easily unhook and handle fish.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing gloves?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Let me know if you find any.  I hate gloves when ice fishing...

Offline ralwag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PARTY'S ON THE ICE!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:23 PM »
I have not found any. I have to take gloves off when handeling hooks. Warmth and bulk seam to go hand in hand  :-\

Offline pesto666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:29 PM »
I've had the same quest for years, and I recently found an answer (not the answer, but an answer, anyway). I always just had a pair of good mittens that I would slip on if I didn't need my hands. When jigging or handleing fish, I just went commando.  I recently went to Cabela's and found a pair of their fishing glo-mits.  They are perfect so far this year. They are light weight, the backs are wind proof fleece, the palms are neoprene, the fingers AND thumb fold back to expose your finger tips, and best of all, CHEAP. I think I paid $15. I still go camando most of the time, but when I need to, I put these on and have had no problems yet this year.

Here's a link: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0047749960442a&navCount=0&podId=0047749960442&parentId=cat601373&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=0209_d_gloves-search_redir&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601373&hasJS=true

Give'em a shot

-Steve
If "Ignorance is bliss", and "Patience is a virtue", does that mean you can have a pretty good life if you're kinda stupid and don't mind waiting around?

Offline nhbaitrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I bought Ice Armor gloves earlier this year and they work very well.  So well that I bought a pair of Ice Armor Mittens also.  They are REALLY warm.  Now I see that they have an even warmer version gloves and mittens that have gauntlets that go up your arm and have pockets for hand warmers.  Good idea, how come no one else has thought of that??

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Those WindShear gloves look like the kind of thing that I want but are they waterproof?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:00 PM »
I bought Ice Armor gloves earlier this year and they work very well.  So well that I bought a pair of Ice Armor Mittens also.  They are REALLY warm.  Now I see that they have an even warmer version gloves and mittens that have gauntlets that go up your arm and have pockets for hand warmers.  Good idea, how come no one else has thought of that??

I like that these gloves are made especially for ice fishing.  They seem a little bulky, however.  I have short, pudgy fingers so I don't know that I could unhook a fish without taking them off.  Do you have to take them off?

Offline Dsum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Hey Hardcore,

I buy neoprene gloves, they are cheap, waterproof and mold well to my hands so im not super clumsy with tip up line or handling fish.  Problem is that they don't breath so my hands get sweaty pretty quick.  So i stick them in my pockets and put them on if i need to use them.  other than that i keep my hands in my pockets to keep warm.

You can find them just about anywhere and the are pretty reasonably priced.  ~20.00

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:37 PM »
I like that these gloves are made especially for ice fishing.  They seem a little bulky, however.  I have short, pudgy fingers so I don't know that I could unhook a fish without taking them off.  Do you have to take them off?
I also have short stubby fingers.  I have the Ice Armor gloves with the pockets for the hand warmers,and feel that they are the best gloves for ice fishing I have ever had however they aren't as warm as mittens and don't feel any glove can be.  I do need to remove the gloves to take off a fish.I'm sure some people won't need to.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:39 PM »
I AGREE, I bought a pair of the Ice Armor Mittens for my son, I like them so much I did not want to give them up, so I bought him another pair. I found them at Bean's for $29.95, Dick Sporting Goods had them for $39.95. Sometimes they are to WARM.

I also use a pair of fingerless gloves that you can put hand warmers in, they work Great. I bought them at Beans, they were less then $20.00 a couple of years ago.

Offline pesto666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Those WindShear gloves look like the kind of thing that I want but are they waterproof?

What is waterproof, really? I always carry a towel, and let's face it, if you do the arm-plunge, you're gonna get wet. The palms are neo, and thus water proof, the backs are wind "proof", but, your fingers are exposed, which means if you submerge them, you are wet.

What they are is a great compromise. 15 bucks is worth it.
If "Ignorance is bliss", and "Patience is a virtue", does that mean you can have a pretty good life if you're kinda stupid and don't mind waiting around?

Offline Pickeral Pete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:47 PM »
The trick is SURGICAL GLOVES. They allow to handle bait, hooks etc., and most importantly they keep your hands DRY! After you are done setting your tip up or baiting the hook, put your mittens or whatever you have back on. And your hands won't get dry and cracked. I am serious besides titanium leaders this is the best trick I have learned in 10 years.

Pete

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I think you are looking for Atlantis, No gloves will ever be as good as going "commando" (as pesto put it  ;D)  The problem is while certain gloves give you dexterity, and others give you warmth none will ever give you feel which is what i need to tie a good knot, handle fish, and fight fish. But their are compromises.  

I personally think the best thing to do is carry multiple pairs of gloves.  I carry the HT Mits that are made of rubber for warmth.   your fingers are useless in them as they are stiffer than a (you can finish the sentence) but they are warm as can be.  I also carry 2 pairs of the chilly grip gloves being sold in the for sale section.  you get some good finger movement in those and they are some what warm.

The ice armour gloves are awsome, i plan on buying a pair at somepoint but i am also cheap. They are the best compromise i have come across but still are not perfect.

Matt

My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline jiggin_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Here's another vote for the ice armor gloves.  The best I have come across
Good things come to those who bait

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I use gloves for the trip out and the trip back. No gloves while fishing. Ranks up there with taking a shower with a raincoat on.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Never heard of it if u find some let me know.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I found some gloves that look really good.  They are in the Cabela's Master Spring Catalog that just came out.  They are fleece lined neoprene gloves.  They look perfect!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:30 PM »
i use wool mitten/gloves. the mitten folds back to expose you finger tips, and the thumb folds back. i still remove them and tuck them in my coat when i handle bait or get a flag. this way they stay warm, even if wet. i keep 2 pairs with me. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:40 PM »

Last season I purchased Lindy X-Treme Conditions fish handling gloves. I was able to use them maybe a dozen times .. including this season. So far I have been impressed with them but they are pricey. These are just another option ... here's a link : Gloves

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:10 PM »
rubber cleaning gloves  :laugh: i don't know of any but you can get your favorite tight fitting gloves and spray them with camp dry to make them waterproof

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:28 PM »
What about Chainsaws?

I don't use gloves personally.

Offline KABS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Got a pair of Lindy waterproof ice fishing gloves for xmas this year. They are good if the weather is nice, othe wise they are not very warm and they stiffen up. Don't know that there is such a glove out there that does everything.

Offline TipupRyan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:37 AM »
You could find some rubber gloves that have some insulation on the inside but won't be warm.  Other than that I just carry two pairs of ice armor gloves on me when the inside of one gets wet, I move on to the next. The ice armor is warm, waterproof but the instead gets wet when you take em off to unhook fish.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:09 AM »
Some of you folks may be interested that "Skipper", One of Ice Shantys' member/moderator has some gloves for ya to look at. Check it out here:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=60569.0

I'm a bare hander,as you can see in my avatar picture<<< & just put my chopper mitts on, if my hands get cold.
Plus, my coat came with pockets. ;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:48 AM »
I always take fingerless  (wool) and Cabelas gore-tex big game gloves,I don't know why? I very seldom use them, mostly walking on and off the ice.I fish mostly in the shany.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:17 AM »
Fingerless rag wool gloves.With the little handwarmer packs I can stuff in my pockets if my fingers get a chill from being wet.Or not even gloves at all.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Ive got a pair of fleece lined neopreme gloves, they are great especially for holding fish
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline jayman64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:34 PM »
i went to gander MNT and found some duck hunting gloves they work ok i think if i got them tighter on my hands. the issue is they are not insulated but i had just slid on another pair under them but i still take them off its just a habit  :tipup:

Offline Slabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its crappie time
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I use seal skins water proof gloves they keep your fingers warm in the 20-30 deg range. They work great for getting the fish off the hook, but it is still hard to get the smaller bait back on the hook. They are a good compromise between warm mittens and bare fingers. I ordered them out of one of my catalogs and think they cost about $20. Hope this helps.

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:04 PM »
Go to Walmart, Meijers, K-mart ect and buy a box of 100 surgical gloves for $7 or$8 bucks, if you were catching fish right along you would not notice your hands , you never get cold until the biting stops!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.