New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Short but good ice season on Oneida Lake  (Read 4266 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Short but good ice season on Oneida Lake
« on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:16 AM »
Back in January I had the Flu when there was a week of safe ice, so I made sure when it got safe again I'd make the best of it, Fished Oneida february 9th threw the 12th, 4 straight days, then  took three days off too work, then hit the ice again for 4 more days straight from February 16th threw the 19th.  Fishing was very good, lots of keeper waldo's , smallmouth and tons of some of the biggest perch I've caught in atleast 5 years, had 3 full perch pail days and 2 25 keeper walleye days.and lots of action on every day i fished, its too bad it was so short, but dug the boat out of the snow today, shes ready too roll.

Didn't take many pictures but took a few.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Short but good ice season on Oneida Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Great fish and great pictures Snag. Know what you are saying about the perch this season, some are unbelievable.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Nice pics Shane. The last 2 and a half weeks have been awesome.

My season on Oneida was actually longer this year than last year. 12/21 - 2/22 this year. Last year it was 1/22 - 3/7 for me. Got robbed of 2 weeks in the middle this year so it's about the same I guess.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:55 AM »
Wow congrats snag u deff made the best of it while it lasted! Those r some hog perch and eyes,love the sunrise and sun set pics also love the pic of the fellow steeler fan

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:58 AM »
Nice pics.  There were some real perch hogs this year.  Hoping we get a real winter next year!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:06 AM »
Awesome pics., congrats to you guys on some nice fish.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:23 AM »
I know you put your time in Shane but you usually find them nice pics and good going!+

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Glad you had a SAFE season. Always a good day when you get the boat out for the first time. Thanks for sharing....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:01 AM »
Nice pictures Snag, thanks.  Many of us knew you were out there but not posting due to the crap of last year.  You will probably need to get the snow off your boat a few more times but the summer is going to be a good one.  Seeing the pictures lets me know your back is better, glad of that...

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:30 AM »
aaand yet another snagger post that makes me question whether or not i know what i'm doing at all on the ice. a few season ago i start my oneida ice career with 3 trips and 3 limits of eyes. last year no keepers, this year....again....no keepers. Then see photos and hear of guys out there slammin the crap out of them. Ill be back next year for ice and ill see you guys in a few months on the boat. Going to fish a tournament or two up there this year good luck with the rest of your trips gents.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Awesome pics., congrats to you guys on some nice fish.
2X that thanks for sharing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Nice pics Snag !
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Way to hammer them

Snagger and his buds

hinkydo

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Sick pics snag.   I was hanging with Jerry last night, he was telling how good it was last week.   Awesome!

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Really nice fish, judging from the pics, I guess you're catching the eyes at night, dawn or dusk.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Awesome pics Shane way to make the best of it!

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Great pics as always, Snag. Way to take advantage of the short window we had this year.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Really nice fish, judging from the pics, I guess you're catching the eyes at night, dawn or dusk.

Being only the east end had safe ice and parking was limited, we kept quiet and got there early so we could get a parking spot, most of our eyes came like normal, first hour after sun up..... it took a bit but the bite leaked out and last saturday i never seen a parking mess like that before, not sure who owns the lewis parking lot, but if it is some sort of DEC arrangement, maybe they can can exspand that lot and fill it with stone, so it doesn't get rutted up so bad, that area needs a parking lot like godfrey.. Most days it wasn't bad, just saturday, no trash though, people tried too be respectful, people just want too fish, hope the state can work something out, no one wants too destroy the land, they just want too fish.

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Nice pictures .I agree season was short BUT a very great one
caught many short eyes witch show a healthy future as well as an abundant
catch of big healthy eyes and lots of hog perch
the way I see it our " DEAD SEA" is looking pretty darn good should be
a great open water season this year lots of big healthy fish to be had
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Awesome fish and nice pics!

I never had the opportunity to fish Oneida this season...  :'(
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:22 AM »
Nice pictures .I agree season was short BUT a very great one
caught many short eyes witch show a healthy future as well as an abundant
catch of big healthy eyes and lots of hog perch
the way I see it our " DEAD SEA" is looking pretty darn good should be
a great open water season this year lots of big healthy fish to be had

I agree SHUBA....yeah the shad had them full early on guys told me, and some shad never did die, we had 14 inch perch pushing 2lbs spitting up live large  shad, never seen that before, most perch had empty bellies or a few tiny gobies in them.. if that lake opens up and it might, the perch bite from a boat should be hot since they got used too eating big meals all winter and with so many perch with nothing in there bellies...lots of 13-14.5 inch eyes, and finally much more 16-17 inch eyes that have been kind of missing the last season, last yrs big 15 inch crop coming into size, looks like a good spring coming.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Great job. I only made it up for 1 weekend but caught TONS of shorts and was able to get some limits and nice perch too. Future for Oneida looks GREAT.  LOVE the sunrise pics. Pretty sure I walked passed you when you were taking them. Pretty sure that's me with the smitty sled in the sunrise pic. I yelled over AWESOME view and you said you were trying to get those pretty green hues in your photos. Thanks for sharing

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Great job. I only made it up for 1 weekend but caught TONS of shorts and was able to get some limits and nice perch too. Future for Oneida looks GREAT.  LOVE the sunrise pics. Pretty sure I walked passed you when you were taking them. Pretty sure that's me with the smitty sled. I yelled over AWESOME view and you said you were trying to get those pretty green hues in your photos. Thanks for sharing

Yep I remember thinking, hes headed too the perch grounds.  had a 18 fish flurry after you walked by then I too headed too a different perch grounds..

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Great job. I only made it up for 1 weekend but caught TONS of shorts and was able to get some limits and nice perch too. Future for Oneida looks GREAT.  LOVE the sunrise pics. Pretty sure I walked passed you when you were taking them. Pretty sure that's me with the smitty sled in the sunrise pic. I yelled over AWESOME view and you said you were trying to get those pretty green hues in your photos. Thanks for sharing
yea and we had a blast buddy will do it a lot more next year and if we learned one thing this year it was
"GO BIG OR GO HOME" now lets look forward to open water slam fest
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:58 AM »

I've always fished the opener for last 18 yrs at Sylvan, but I'm thinking I'm gonna try something different and fish the south and west end for the opener, I had fun being stuck at Lewis point this year, I learned alot, I don't fish there very often and learned alot of little micro spots,Never did make it east of the point over by 109, wasn't sure about the ice over there, never got a chance too scout it ahead of the snow, didn't want anyone in my group getting into trouble on machines,,,,,,,, I think I'll continue the learning process and fish way west this May, I'm looking forward too it.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I had only ice fished Lewis once when I was about 5 years old. Going there this year was like hitting the "Easy Button".  ;D

I also fished Chaumont for the first time and that was a great trip too.

Some people hate years like this but I think it pushes you to try new stuff, get out of your comfort zone, and learn.

Offline BigEarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Great stuff snagger I made it up once this year and did better than my one humbling trip last year. Tons of shorts a few keepers and nice perch still learning the lake by the pics I have lots to learn lol good stuff.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:20 AM »

I agree Bruce, it was fun trying new areas, much easier then the northshore for sure..... i hit Chaumont once too, but it was one of those days when anything that can go wrong ...did, never got started fishing til 10am, so missed the eye bite but did well on perch.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:22 AM »
it was one of those days when anything that can go wrong

at least you had the forethought to spud ahead and keep us from going in the drink in the dark.   

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:29 AM »

Syracuse just broke the Record with 68 degrees, the all time record for February is 69 degrees, can we do it?, 64 here in Altmar, but with no wind, the snowpack has melted very little yet on Tug hill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.