The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Not Big Numbers~NIce Jumbos!!!  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Not Big Numbers~NIce Jumbos!!!
« on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:35 PM »
Not fast action either... Got a couple or 3 flags at once. Then nothing for 20 minutes... Repeat.. A few hit and spit.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Re: Not Big Numbers~NIce Jumbos!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:43 PM »
Some of them are REAL nice, Joe!  For panfish, I'll take quality over quantity anytime.  Did you jig at all?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:52 PM »
Some of them are REAL nice, Joe!  For panfish, I'll take quality over quantity anytime.  Did you jig at all?
Hey Jim, I pretty much stopped jigging for them in this spot. They seem to move around in small sparse groups in very random patterns. I'd rather jig for them, but the success rate is very low and extremely slow. Weird when the 10 - 12" ones look tiny...
Back to whitefish tomorrow!!! LOTS OF JIGGING!!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2024, 03:06 PM »
Gotcha.  I have some GPS waypoints where fish really bunch up and jigging is best.  But, like you say, for widely scattered groups, traps tend to be the answer. :tipup:

Good luck on the whitefish.

They seem to move around in small sparse groups in very random patterns. I'd rather jig for them, but the success rate is very low and extremely slow.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2024, 08:23 PM »
Those are nice perch ,the bite has been better in the last few days than its been all winter. I never finished filleting my white Perch until 730 but ended up with just under 5 lbs of boneless fillets

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2024, 05:39 AM »

Some tank perch 👍

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2024, 06:34 AM »
Some real nice perch there.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2024, 11:03 AM »
Nice jumbos!

Reason for Edit: oops, thought I was in a different thread when I replied the first time.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2024, 11:14 AM »
Gorgeous Perch!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline tropicalfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2024, 07:47 AM »
Fantastic perch. May want to consider leaving those 14 inch ones in the water, clearly full of eggs...unless you want to wonder what happened to the perch fishery a decade or so down the road  ;)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2024, 08:30 AM »
Fantastic perch. May want to consider leaving those 14 inch ones in the water, clearly full of eggs...unless you want to wonder what happened to the perch fishery a decade or so down the road  ;)
Yeah, I understand... If it wasn't a 7 mile long lake with another 3 mile long arm plus the fact nearly no one targets them but 2 or three of us, sporadically at best, I would be putting them back. The bigger issue is overpopulation and stunting, so we often take out a lot of the little stuff. This year though, 70% of what I caught wa over 10". I only fish on little area on the 900 acre pond. Most people throw all of them on the ice as trash/eagle food. People pretty much just target the stocked salmon and brook trout up in the shallows. Thanks for your comments!!!  :icefish:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2024, 09:01 AM »
Wow My Grandson just showed some 18" Black Crappies  on his u-tube site (verrillville outdoors)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2024, 09:22 AM »
Wow My Grandson just showed some 18" Black Crappies  on his u-tube site (verrillville outdoors)

And it only took Bee a split second to try and tap him for info! :roflmao: :wacko: ;D

EDIT - OMG, just watched a couple, it took me a while to come up with it but your grandson is 50% Larry the Enticer and 50% Dylan Outdoors from 12-15 years ago!  Finally, something worth watching from all the other crap out there!  Kuddos WC, well done! @)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 29, 2024, 10:03 AM »

Disagree.  Study the effects of stockpiling and the effects on a fishery, including species other than perch.  Way more impact than his harvest of some nice eaters.  The other aspect you clearly arent considering is fecundity (ability to reproduce) and older year classes are not as productive...

All that said, hell of a first post.  Did you get lost from the PETA forums?  ::)

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 29, 2024, 11:05 AM »
Disagree.  Study the effects of stockpiling and the effects on a fishery, including species other than perch.  Way mor impact than his harvest of some nice eaters.

All that said, hell of a first post.  Did you get lost from the PETA forums?  ::)

😂😂😂
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29, 2024, 05:51 PM »
Disagree.  Study the effects of stockpiling and the effects on a fishery, including species other than perch.  Way more impact than his harvest of some nice eaters.  The other aspect you clearly arent considering is fecundity (ability to reproduce) and older year classes are not as productive...

lol love those first posts

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2024, 06:19 PM »
Most small bodies of water with perch or Crappies , I found the fish run small because of lack of food, each female perch lays aprox. 35,ooo eggs ,so if we keep all we catch. we and the Eagles will be eating  larger fish ,  also fish like hornpout will multiply to the point of over crowding for feed and oxygen. to the point all will die. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2024, 08:47 PM »

lol love those first posts

Just a triggered snowflake im guessing.  No 'hey guys nice to meet you'....just some good ole virtue signaling.  God bless america.

I hope you guys slay some more 14"ers and put them to the grease. 

Offline tropicalfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2024, 09:48 PM »

I hadn't really ice fished or been active on the past two years due to lack of ice and lost access to my previous account. I'll admit it does look funny though.

Also I don't target yellow perch so fry it up!!  ;D

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2024, 04:54 AM »
Also I don't target yellow perch so fry it up!!  ;D
I DO agree with not over harvesting, especially broodstock. If I fished the lake a lot, for more than a few meals, I WOULD be releasing more. I just fish it a few times a winter. I generally leave predators  (including coyotes  ;D :o) and feed the eagles the smaller ones to help prevent stunting. The bios I know agree that taking the smaller mature fish, in numbers, WILL help the health of that population be it lake trout, crappies or yellow and white perch. Got about 3# of fillets fro that batch! Gonna see how a few smoke along with a whitefish from a couple days ago. Some will get fried and some will get shrimped!!!! Whitefish one more time tomorrow!!!!

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:31 AM »
Totally right on taking some out. I fished ponds that were so overcrowded with panfish, the owners told me to throw a lot of the small ones on the ice for the other critters. Panfish are very prolific, so taking a few of the big ones out only helps by limiting the new numbers in the pond.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:37 AM »

Huh weird I don't keep perch that are under 10" and my local perch fishing is absolutely amazing. I limited out 94 days in a row 2020 fishery is alive and doing very well
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:44 AM »
Huh weird I don't keep perch that are under 10" and my local perch fishing is absolutely amazing. I limited out 94 days in a row 2020 fishery is alive and doing very well

CT and Mass have no limit on perch and crappie but the fisheries remain strong.  70% of CT lakes are 'stockpiled' with panfish as noted in the surveys.  Stuned growth in those lakes. 

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:53 AM »
CT and Mass have no limit on perch and crappie but the fisheries remain strong.  70% of CT lakes are 'stockpiled' with panfish as noted in the surveys.  Stuned growth in those lakes.

Oh I'm well aware I don't think any NE states have a limit on perch. I've been trying to get to Maine maybe next winter
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:08 AM »

Oh I'm well aware I don't think any NE states have a limit on perch. I've been trying to get to Maine maybe next winter
Not many quality YP waters in Maine... LOTS of stunted ones and lots of yellow grub parasites in lots of populations. I do know of a few good lakes with decent size and minimal parasite presence. I can give you some info. PM me if you are interested. Happy fishing!  :icefish:

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:14 AM »
Not many quality YP waters in Maine... LOTS of stunted ones and lots of yellow grub parasites in lots of populations. I do know of a few good lakes with decent size and minimal parasite presence. I can give you some info. PM me if you are interested. Happy fishing!  :icefish:

Thank you I may take you up on that I have a guy I made friends with in 2020 he lives in Maine comes to NY for 2 weeks and ice fishes every year

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:21 AM »
Thank you I may take you up on that I have a guy I made friends with in 2020 he lives in Maine comes to NY for 2 weeks and ice fishes every year
I grew up on Oneida and The Finger Lakes... MISS WALLEYES WICKED!!!! I haven't been there in some time... I'm from Johnson City. Been in Maine since '83. Last trip that way was a steelhead trip with my brother....

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:23 AM »
I grew up on Oneida and The Finger Lakes... MISS WALLEYES WICKED!!!! I haven't been there in some time... I'm from Johnson City. Been in Maine since '83. Last trip that way was a steelhead trip with my brother....

Sodus is in my back yard and I spent a lot of time on Oneida as kid Grandparents have had a place since the 70s

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:29 AM »
Sodus is in my back yard and I spent a lot of time on Oneida as kid Grandparents have had a place since the 70s
Muskrat Bay right next to the park was Gramps "camp". Was there since way before that park....One more day on the ice tomorrow, chasing whitefish... Take care and have fun!!! Let me know if you're up this way!
Winter is the only time, now, I can make it down there... Finger Lake tribs will always be another favorite place to visit... Maybe the fall early rainbow run will be a plan next year. My brother and his buddies do we'll sometimes...   

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2024, 01:09 PM »
Id drive up for a perch fest too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.