New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: White Perch In Oneida  (Read 1216 times)

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
White Perch In Oneida
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:08 AM »
I know some people hate these things and say they are garbage. I'd like to hear what more people think. How do they taste. I've got a ton of them out there and have always put them back. Should I take a few some for a fish fry ?
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: White Perch In Oneida
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I know some people hate these things and say they are garbage. I'd like to hear what more people think. How do they taste. I've got a ton of them out there and have always put them back. Should I take a few some for a fish fry ?

Cut out the blood line, soak them in milk, fry them up and try...had them from other bodies of water and they were ok, never tried Oneida White perch or White Bass.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:54 AM »
They're decent when handled properly.  It's not just the bloodline, but also the belly fat.  That fat oxides quickly unless frozen or near frozen.  When it oxides it breaks down into oily crap that leeches throughout the meat.  That's often what people taste when they complain how strong they taste.  Kill them quick, leave them on ice, then good to go.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 03:16 PM »
They're decent when handled properly.  It's not just the bloodline, but also the belly fat.  That fat oxides quickly unless frozen or near frozen.  When it oxides it breaks down into oily crap that leeches throughout the meat.  That's often what people taste when they complain how strong they taste.  Kill them quick, leave them on ice, then good to go.

i use to keep them for my dad he liked them , like bcons said its prep  , PS kill-em all 

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Back in the 1980's ice fishing on Irondequoit Bay, we used to catch way more white perch than yellow perch.  The were numerous and large.  My Ukrainian dad used to brine them up and smoke em!  THEY WERE DELICIOUS!   Salmon and trout can both be very oily but how do they taste smoked?  YEP!   ;)  Try it!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Back in the 1980's ice fishing on Irondequoit Bay, we used to catch way more white perch than yellow perch.  The were numerous and large.  My Ukrainian dad used to brine them up and smoke em!  THEY WERE DELICIOUS!   Salmon and trout can both be very oily but how do they taste smoked?  YEP!   ;)  Try it!

Ahhh, the good old German Village days!!!  Do you remember Nick The Legend and his hand lines???

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:34 PM »
In Maine they feed the yellows to the Eagles and eat the white perch.

I kept a bunch last year out of a NY lake along with the yellows and they were all tasty.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Around here WP are fished commercially and bring about $2/pound. My home area is salt/brackish water. The fillets on the ones I have caught in Oneida are noticeably darker than whiteys here, but IMO good table fare. Tried the silver bass, fun to catch, not so good to eat. But I don't drive four hours for white perch and silver bass...BTW are there walleye and YP in Oneida? ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:18 PM »

No perch or eyes that I know of  >:(

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:34 PM »

No perch or eyes that I know of  >:(

Darn, I was planning a few trips there this year, might as well cancel. ;)

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up guys
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.