Author Topic: Jaw Jacker Trout  (Read 2660 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jaw Jacker Trout
« on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I was just curious of those of you who use Jaw Jackers for Bows, Brookies and Browns. what type of hook and set up? I ran mine today with 1/8 Oz Painted Jig Heads with minnows hooked through the nose. Was wondering if you think the painted Jig Heads are shying the trout away?
Tight Lines!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jaw Jacker Trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I typically rig mine like I would a tip up. #8 hook shiner hooked in the back and a split shot 8” above it on the leader.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:44 PM »
I use a red #10 gamakatsu w/a dilly to cove up the eyelet of the hook tipped with a salmon egg
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Are you guys using circle hooks? Wouldn’t that work opposite against the hook setting action of a jaw jacker?
Tight Lines!

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:25 PM »
I have found #10 hook with salmon eggs work great for bows, I have also had good luck with a small hook and worms, the circle(octopus hooks) work great for tip ups but reg hooks work better for jaw jackers since 99% of them get hook in the lip. I’ve only found shiners to work for other species on jaw jackers.
Wait there's ice????

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:18 PM »
You don’t want to use circle hooks on the jawjacker. I use #8-#12 salmon egg hooks on mine, whether I’m using eggs, or worms, or shiners/smelt. I’ve tried “baitholder” hooks, and they work ok, but the egg hooks seem to work the best for me.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:13 PM »
thanks everyone, definitely was not going to use circle hooks. i've taken the jig heads off and put on some egg holder hooks with split shots.
Tight Lines!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:10 AM »
I use a red #10 gamakatsu w/a dilly to cove up the eyelet of the hook tipped with a salmon egg

;D

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:51 AM »
Don't overlook power bait either. Couple spots we catch bows, prefer power bait over dillies and other live bait.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:45 AM »
If I were you I would use gamagatzu octpous hooks. Razor sharp and they're always hooked in the lip. I think that sometimes normal baitholder hooks miss fish if the fish hits the bait at a weird angle or something.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:49 AM »
thanks everyone, changed it up and definitely got more hits
Tight Lines!

Offline WGrygutis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Tungsten jig with powerbait

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I've never used powerbait on jawjackers before. How does it compare to smelt/salmon eggs because that's all I use for bows.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I've never used powerbait on jawjackers before. How does it compare to smelt/salmon eggs because that's all I use for bows.
thats usually all i catch my bows on is powerbait usually pink and most on jackers
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Last year they hammered the Rainbow colored powerbait. Broke a nice fish off, rehooked and baited and half an hour later the same tip up went up and I landed the fish. It had a second line in its mouth. It was the one that broke off. Both times it hit the rainbow colored powerbait.

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:51 AM »
How do you rig the power bait in the tip up? Weightless or with a split shot, I’ve tried the eggs but doesn’t seem to work well someone told me to use a split shot about a ft off the hook and use floating eggs same with the powerbait?
Wait there's ice????

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:58 PM »
How do you rig the power bait in the tip up? Weightless or with a split shot, I’ve tried the eggs but doesn’t seem to work well someone told me to use a split shot about a ft off the hook and use floating eggs same with the powerbait?

That should work, but I also am going to try it on a small tungsten jig to see if that works better this year. Weight inside the ball of power bait kind of idea.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:20 PM »
ive done the same thing as splitshot but i used a swivel about 8 inches away keeps the line away from the bait. also we fished a pond last year and had about 8 traps out between 2 of us and we caught 7 rainbows and not one came on a tip up all were caught on 2 jackers pretty shallow water so my best guess is they could see the reels on the tip ups.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I would just use a heavy tungsten jighead and skip the split shot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.