Author Topic: When to know when it's time to pull the shack off?  (Read 866 times)

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
When to know when it's time to pull the shack off?
« on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Hey Guys -

Normally I very rarely have to deal with this since we need to have our shacks off the lake by first weekend of March, but obviously this year has been different.

I put the shack on a smaller lake with 18" of ice currently.  I am trying to have it out there until the ice fisheree on the 27th of Feb.  Do you think I would be ok with keeping it out there since most of the temps are freezing at night?  Trying to avoid having a problem with my 8x12.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Re: When to know when it's time to pull the shack off?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Block it up high so it won't freeze down and keep it on until the fisheree then pull it. Obviously keep a close eye on it and monitor conditions and be ready to pull it on a moments notice.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:23 AM »
If you arent using it every day then pull it on or close to shore, that way if the ice deteriorates you have no worries, if it doesnt then you can simply pull it back on for the 27.  Im in Saskatchewan and i've pulled mine off already for the same concerns.  Just isnt worth it to have a fight if it isnt needed.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:41 AM »
I pulled mine off of Winnebago. With the warm temps rain wind just ain't worth having to fight it off if I don't need to. That being said fishing from a flip over isn't that bad. Pull the shack off and fish in your portable.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.