Author Topic: Ice house paint or siding  (Read 9701 times)

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice house paint or siding
« on: Sep 01, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Hey guys!

Well ice fishing is around the corner and i finally bought a permanent ice house. Its an 8x8 but the guy i bought it from never painted it. Its that greyish color from sitting outside for 2yrs.. I was wondering weather i should paint it or side it. Only catch is im on a tight budget. What do you guys think? Any personal experiance? Good paint to use?...

Thanks!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
Re: Ice house paint or siding
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2011, 12:13 PM »
i would def do a outdoor latex paint for now to keep it from rotting anymore. then as money permits put siding on it in the future right over the paint..

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2011, 01:51 PM »
   Paint protects the wood and it weighs and costs a lot less than siding.  :tipup:

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2011, 06:19 PM »
After several years of painting our's, we switched to a "stain" which seems to hold up much better.

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2011, 06:34 PM »
After several years of painting our's, we switched to a "stain" which seems to hold up much better.
Ditto on the Stain, better UV Inhibitors in it !

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Oil stain, but if you paint it, I would oil prime, then oil or latex paint.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2011, 11:35 PM »
hmm i never thought of staining mine.. too bad i already bought black paint. i like black to help soak up the sun on nice days,there is a huge diff in my black pop up compared to my blue one.. so the semi perm is def going to be black. i think im going to try and stain the runners and bottom now tho,thx for the idea!

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Yea i guess i never thought of a stain.. What kind do you use? I suppose brand doesn't really make a difference but thought i would ask!

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2011, 02:45 PM »
What kind do you use?
Don't remember the brand.  A buddy had some left over after doing a wooden picket fence at his house.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Outdoor latex paint. I have used it on my shanty for years and no discolor and looks the same and if your shanty get dirty during the warm months just wash it off easly.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2011, 08:38 PM »
hmm i never thought of staining mine.. too bad i already bought black paint. i like black to help soak up the sun on nice days,there is a huge diff in my black pop up compared to my blue one.. so the semi perm is def going to be black. i think im going to try and stain the runners and bottom now tho,thx for the idea!

You will wind up with puddles around your shack from the reflected sunlight.....just fair warning. 
Then you'll step out without your cleats on and
then be wondering why you're flat on your back, staring up at the sky!!!!  Be careful!

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2011, 07:10 AM »
I'll agree with Mainedog on color selection.  Even with a light color, the sun's reflection WILL melt the area around the shack.  Unless you plan on moving it fairly often, I would go white.  Black will get warm with the help of the sun but you're better off to consider your build with insulation, a reliable source of heat and a CO detector.  A "traditional", hard-sided "permy" takes a lot of man-and-machine power, even when the ice conditions are "favorable".

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2011, 03:48 PM »
You will wind up with puddles around your shack from the reflected sunlight.....just fair warning. 
Then you'll step out without your cleats on and
then be wondering why you're flat on your back, staring up at the sky!!!!  Be careful!

dang! see,this is why i love this site,i can learn from others misfortunes instead of having to make them myself..sadly, i already bought the paint... *sigh* then *shrugs*.

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2011, 06:55 AM »
dang! see,this is why i love this site,i can learn from others misfortunes instead of having to make them myself..sadly, i already bought the paint... *sigh* then *shrugs*.
If you keep an eye on the ice conditions around your shack and move if needed, you'll enjoy a little homemade comfort.  We want to see pictures of your finished product.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2011, 12:23 PM »
no prob.. i would love to show her off! it actually is done..its a copy cat of zorros shack that i seen in the ice shack thread..we messaged a bit and gave me some hints and i got to work! but i used 1/2 inch chip board on the outside because it was free and i got it out one day to let it air out and so i could paint..and BANG! the wind blew the right way and the hinges got yanked out and cracked it up the door area  a bit.. im going to get some actual plywood and do it up right this time around..

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Well, got it all painted up! I'll post pictures soon! Thanks for the advice guys..

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2011, 12:49 PM »
So now i have another question, I will be using my boat battery for the one light inside but i want to run a car stereo in there.. Will a 660cca 12v deep cycle battery run that for awhile? or should i get a solar panel charger for $50 and hook that up to charge while i use..
Also, my i want some tips on how to get the most out of the space i have inside. What do you guys suggest??

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2011, 11:56 PM »
in the flip over mods thread, a guy made some awesome mods to his shack,one of them was adding a car stereo,and he only used a dry cell about the size that would go in a vexilar or something,i cant remember the size but i think he said it would last almost 6 hours ,with the rope lights turned off... i imagine a boat batt would last a nice long time.. but i would still get the solar panel,draining a battery and charging over and over will make it go south in a hurry

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2011, 09:04 AM »
A deep cycle would work great since they are designed to be run down and recharged. If you don't plan to take the battery off the ice with you and charge it at home, a solar charger would be a good idea if it will have several days to charge the battery. You do need a large enough solar charger to do the job.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2011, 06:45 PM »
So.. how do you upload pictures to this site..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:40 PM »
You can do it with a Photo Bucket account.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Ill give you details, if you do or dont get a photobucket or similar account. Then log on and go to UPLOAD NOW and select the pics and then download them. Then go to MY ALBUMS and put the cursor over the pic and a little thing with different URLs will come down. Choose the one that says IMG CODE. Copy it and then for a post click the image picture in the top left corner above the smiles. For a avatar go get the IMG and put it in the Specify avatar by URL and there you go.

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Awesome thanks i'll figure that out some time. I have another idea for the shack. I will have a car battery running the lights and stuff but i want a way to charge it. I was thinking either a solar panel but i don't want people to run off with it or i can make a cable and hook it to my 4wheeler to charge it.. What do you guys think? Panel or 4wheeler?

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:23 PM »

Here she is boys! Aint she a beaut!?

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:09 PM »
That'll do just fine for ya!! ;D
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Well it will be better than my quickflip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.