Author Topic: frabal of shapell  (Read 2558 times)

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
frabal of shapell
« on: Oct 08, 2004, 04:10 PM »
2 or 3 man shanty. What brand do you guys like?
Anthony

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re: frabal of shapell
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2004, 04:44 PM »
Fish Trap here...I like there set up alot.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2004, 05:07 PM »
thinking portable are we ant??love my eskimo lodge,but its a little pricey!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2004, 05:50 PM »
information that realy interests me is how easy is it to set up. The shapells are very easy and I also like how the sides are attached to the base to keep the wind out. what are the rest like. do they last a long time? do they have "curtains" for the windows? is the frame strong? can one guy set it up in the wind? I am willing to drop 3 bills on a portable.
Anthony

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2004, 06:22 PM »
B-P,

Just a suggestion but I would look into the Clam Corp Fish Trap series.  I purchased one (Pro) last year and absolutely love it.  There light weight, easy the set up and VERY fishing friendly.  Its a fish shanty, sled, and a place to sit all in one.  You won't be disappointed if you bought one, as they have a customer service policy that is incredible.  Check them out at www.clamcorp.com

Just my $.02.
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2004, 12:28 AM »
I have a Trap Pro and love it.  The next portable I buy will be a 3 man and will either be Fish Trap or Eskimo.  I have a Shapell s4000 in the grage I use maybe a couple times a year.  On a calm day it is tough to set up alone and on a windy day forget it.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2004, 12:27 PM »
I like my fishtrap and will be upgrading this year it's going to be something offered by clamcorp,might just spring for the YUKON.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2004, 09:40 PM »
 :) I have an older shappel and I have no problems with it .. :) :) :)

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2004, 07:21 AM »
I picked up a clam guide last year, awesome.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2004, 09:15 AM »
I have a clam as well. It's great...both the zippers broke last year. spray some silicone lube onto the zippers...they tend to frost up when it gets real cold.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2004, 09:51 AM »
I have a shappel and love it. Sets up in less than a minute and is pretty lite.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:56 PM »
I have heard nothing but good things about the clam guide.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2004, 08:00 AM »
Start shopping around now, so you can find one for a good price.  I waited too long and got stuck paying full price, but it's still worth it.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2004, 10:50 PM »
If price is no object...ie, three bills...you may want to look into the Otter. Really well made, but everything ala carte. Otherwise, I like the Frabill's. The seating is far superior to any other shack. And since most or us are sitting on our a$$ most of the time for hours on end, that's pretty damn important. Don't go too big, cause you've got to move it. Unless you'll have 2-3 people fishing with you all the time it's not worth the weight. And it's a pain to fish alone if you get the chance. All in all, go with a pull-over design. They pull well and set-up in an instant. Good luck.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2004, 01:47 PM »
fish 307 dot com has the clam guide for $299.00!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2004, 02:18 PM »
OTIS, They may be last years model with the "U" shaped doors. This years models have "D" shaped doors, plus other new features.
Ken                                          

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Otis, is is last years Guide, but still a great deal if you are going to pick it up.  I called about a month ago when I seen it and they wanted $80.00 to ship to central PA. :o  I ended up finding one here from one of the other members and I got a good deal.  The new attachment that clam has I am not to thrilled about.  I thought a clam made you more portable.  Why would you want to connect up to someone else's clam unless you were staying put in one place.  Also the attachment makes your backs face each other and you really can't walk into the other shelter.  I would like to see the face of the person that I am talking to. Just my 2 cents.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2004, 10:02 PM »
My guess is that the photo's are last years shacks, but call and make sure that the portables are actually this years models. Also, unless you're in a rush I'd wait until the end of the season. I got my Frabill Solo for less than 199.00. And at the normal price of 299 is 70 bucks cheaper than the Guide. The sled is a little more substantial and the seating is more flexible. You can move it side to side so that if you fish alone, you don't have to fish over at the edge and you can slide it to the side when squeezing in a 2nd fisherman. Check e-bay and you can find good deals on a used one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.