Author Topic: Problems with catching bluegill.  (Read 7365 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Problems with catching bluegill.
« on: Jan 18, 2003, 03:15 PM »
I went fishin today and saw several 5-8 inch blugill.  I caught only 3 of several bluegill.  I used a orange size 12 jig at first but changed to a dark purple one cause I think the orange was spooking them.  I used mousies and they would come up close but then turn away, i used wigglers and got three but others wouldn't even stop they just kept swimmin.  I had 2 lb test.  6 feet of water.  I jigged the bait inch-2 inche intervals.  Then when they came close, i lifted it or lowered it to there depth then i either jigged it slowly and lighty or just let it sit still.  What was i doin wrong?
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
Re: Problems with catching bluegill.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2003, 02:08 AM »
Did you have any waxxies ??? Try keeping mobile. :'( Fish are gonna hit sooner or later. Have done better on waxworms for gills then other baits most of the time. The orange jig for me is usually what I go to. Believe it or not sometimes they want the smallest jig you can buy then other times they want something larger. The easiest way is to have 3 to five rods rigged differenty and at least one should be a tandem rig. I sometimes have up to 8 rods in my box at any given time. Minimum no less then 4 rods. If you can afford it. It is not much cash to shell out for a half way decent rod and reel. :) My fishing partner uses three in a row of different size and colours. He slams the fish sometimes on that also. I believe the more options you have on board the better chance you have of catching them and I do not even use tip-ups......If I did I would need 2 sleds :P Try rapidly jigging and stopping then repeat and vary on 1 rod while you try leaving another rod idle in another hole close by. 8) Hope I was of some help to you. :D My fishing partner fat_boy may chime in on this thread later with some good advice for you :)
Good luck and tight lines :'( :'( :'(

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2003, 07:42 AM »
Thank you very much i'll have to give that stuff a try.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2003, 06:46 PM »
You are quite welcome. ;D The more stuff you try the better you get. It's almost as fun loading up on tackle  ;D ;D ;D       I can tell you that for a fact  8) You can go nuts buying all the gear but sometimes you need it when the bite gets really tough :'( :'( :'(

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2003, 07:15 PM »
I agree with gens.  Waxworms seem to be the ticket for gills.
Rob Taylor

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2003, 07:53 PM »
Whent the action is slow give plastics a try!!!  Heck, when the action is hot give em a try!  I have been using them for years and every year they keep getting better and better.  My new favorite is Custom Jigs and Spins ratsos and shrimpos or just a plain old micro jig dressed up with one of there finess tails.  Noodles and wedgies work awsome too!  Pick some up and give em a try.  Get multiple colors, sizes and styles and you'll be ready for anything.  Plus you don't have keep putting on fresh bait all of the time.

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:33 AM »
12foot, instead of moving the bait to the fish, try making the  fish move to you. The futher you can move a gill out of their "zone" the better chance you have to catch him. If they come up and push or sideswipe the bait then I like to tease them by jerking it away as they get close, then the 2nd or 3rd time the gill gets close leave the jig and they won't mess around taking it then. Good luck............Sb.

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2003, 09:17 AM »
 :DHey your right waxys work the best with bluegills because I use them myself for both bluegills and perch but it does remain on what color jig you use for I use yellow jigs or teardrops. 8) :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2003, 04:07 PM »
Ive been having the pumkinseeds hit 3 times before i hook them they've been real agressive lately
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2003, 08:37 PM »
try adding a small thin slice of soft plastic (preferably cut from power bait) and add one maggot or waxie...or try pins(tiny emeralds)

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2003, 08:19 AM »
Rat finkie with one spike and silver/red teardrop has just been getting hammered by gills for me....well except for yesterday. I think they went on strike!!

tankeryanker

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2003, 11:16 AM »
I bought a new 18 got gills comming off bottom looking and no bitting,tried smaller gigs all colors,waxies,spikes,mousies,they come up,look and down they go,i can jig them back up and no takers,maybe get 2 for 20 i see,any ideas?

crappie_hunter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2003, 06:30 AM »
i nailed them on the smallest pink rat finkie i could find tipped with a wax worm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.