The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Winters Comming  (Read 9695 times)

Offline M eye K

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Winters Comming
« Reply #60 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I'll admit it, I'm a chicken. Being new to ice fishing, does anyone have a scale to go by for how thick the ice gets over period of time at certain temperatures? Last season I watched a knucklehead walk out on the lake and jump up and down until he broke through, ( luckilly he didn't go all the way in ) he then walked back about 5 feet, drilled a hole and started to fish!!! With that experience, I don't want to follow the leader. I'm getting anxious, but not crazy...just chicken.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 02, 2006, 04:56 PM »
A instrument to estimate the formation of new ice is called a SPUD BAR!!!

There are too many variables to estimate how much ice is being made. A good general rule of thumb is when ice forms in you moustache from breathing, the ice is going down FAST ;D

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Fish house is on the lake! 5 1/2 inches of nice clear ice, even found some snow to bank up the house. Life is good,  forcast is for temp's in the singal digits early,with highs in the low teens. Didn't go out to far but one house is way out past the island's must be a 7 x 16, there are several others down off the public access. Was even a hard side house out on Otter Tail lake and that only froze over on Thursday night.  So the wait is finally over in our area.
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 03, 2006, 10:18 PM »
well with the ice show over with i can get on with my life .. :D :D :D

i'll be hitting the ice hard this week.. :)

also i might even post a few pic's .. ;D
Hard Ice

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 03, 2006, 10:27 PM »
Still really unsure about ice thickness around here. I guess I will have to keep my peepers peeled and drive by lakes.........

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:55 PM »
There were guys on Crooked and round lakes (the ones in Andover) today. :-\

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:48 PM »
I hope you guys have been getting out.  There's plenty of ice on most every smaller lake right now.  Anything under 400 acres is almost definitely froze real solid.  I've been getting out almost every day since friday.  Today i was on almost 7" of ice right here in the metro.  Didn't do too good, just a couple of tiny craps, but i'm still loving it.  Man, for those of you guys who don't own a camera, they are a blast!!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.