The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice shack regulations  (Read 11699 times)

Offline Snow Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
ice shack regulations
« on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:27 AM »
 ???I am go up to Longville MN this coming weekend ice fishing and was wondering what the regulatons were for portable ice shacks. Do I need my name, address, and D.L.# on my tent? How is the ice up there?

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice shack regulations
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:34 PM »
the law states all you need is ether your divers lic. number or your name and address..

as for the ice i have no clue not going up till wed this week i'm getting ready for pout fest 06..
Hard Ice

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:38 AM »
Make sure to buy the 10 or 15 dollar shack license at your local tackle shop.  I got a $75 ticket last year.....I misread the regs and only had my name/address/DL # on my portable........

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Make sure to buy the 10 or 15 dollar shack license at your local tackle shop.  I got a $75 ticket last year.....I misread the regs and only had my name/address/DL # on my portable........

house tags are 12 bux..
Hard Ice

Offline CedarLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CEDAR LAKER!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:36 PM »
if your gonna use a fourwheeler or snowmobile get it registered becasue I recenttly got a $150 ticket for not havin it registered. thats b/s but its the law. taker er easy ;)
CedarLaker-----FINALLY GOT OUT on DECEMBER 16!!

Offline STINK FINGER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:35 PM »
??????????

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2006, 06:07 PM »
pay the fee or pay the fine, welcome to minnesota.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:06 PM »
I have a Shapell DX3000. I need to put my drivers licence number on it. the issue is that the fabric is a dark midnight blue and i cant think of anything that will show up on it. I dont want it to look bad either. I see alot of guys with clams use a black marker but my house is 10x darker blue. any ideas, anyone?

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:29 AM »
OK one clarification for everyone and then a suggestion for Skipper

You don't need to use your driver's license number or your name and address. 
Instead you can just put your DNR number on your shack
(it can be found on your fishing license and on your shack license)
In today's environment of ID theft, I know I'd rather use DNR # than DL#  :o

Skipper, I had a Shappell with the charcoal grey exterior.
I put a piece of duct tape above the door and wrote my # on it with black permanent marker.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Perfect! Thank you! And a very good point about identity theft. I guess I never thought of that, but I will definitly use my dnr number instead.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Skipper
I fish Mille Lacs a fair amount (summer and winter)
Also like to get up to Red and/or Winni and/or LOTW a couple times each winter
PM me if ya wanna meet up sometime
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Desperado, I have the laws in my hand and it states- drivers license # or name and address.  I too would rather have my DNR #, are you sure that it's kosher?

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2006, 12:25 PM »
NEVERMIND, maybe I should KEEP reading.... Im dumb

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:52 PM »
I had a C.O. come talk to me last winter, he never said anything. I used the red Polly tape you find in the insulation section of home depot to write it on.

Skipper
I fish Mille Lacs a fair amount (summer and winter)
Also like to get up to Red and/or Winni and/or LOTW a couple times each winter
PM me if ya wanna meet up sometime

Perhaps a Minnesota get together is in order. I wouldn't count on much of a turnout, but it could be fun. ;D

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Anyone be interested in a get together in Fairmont?

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2006, 01:33 AM »
where exactly is that? i'm in the metro, but i'd be willing to drive a couple of hours for a get-together

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2006, 01:40 AM »
fishuhalik.....just a reply to your signature, if the paramedics ever have to cut my pants off...clean under won't matter, because whatever happened to make them cut them off, probably made me soil them anyway.  :P :P :P :o
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:52 PM »
From 2006 Regs:

Fish House or Dark House
The following regulations apply to fish houses, dark houses, and portable
shelters used on all Minnesota waters, unless otherwise noted elsewhere
in this booklet.
• All shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses, and portable
shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have the
complete name and address
or driver’s license number or Minnesota
DNR number of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the
outside in letters, and figures at least 2 inches in height. Dark houses,
fish houses, and portable shelters placed on the ice for shelter while
fishing must be licensed, except that a license is not required on
border waters with Wisconsin, Iowa, North and South Dakota.
• A tag, furnished with the license, must be attached to the exterior in a
readily visible location.

I read that as you need one of three things on there.

All shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses, and portable
shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have
1. the complete name and address
or
2. driver’s license number
or
3. Minnesota DNR number of the owner

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Anyone be interested in a get together in Fairmont?

I vote for Mille Lacs!! :D

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:24 AM »
anyone up for medicine lake in the metro?  craps (white and black), sunnies, eyes, and pike all outta the same hole! 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:11 AM »
You guys come up with a date and a lake and I will try my best to make it.. 

Offline Viking Rogue

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:58 AM »
How many of you have received a warning or ticket for portable shack license issues?  I think it is pretty sad that we have to have a license and visible numbering on our portables.  What is the purpose??  Strictly revenue??   :woot: :woot:

I can understand on the permanents that sit out there all winter as the owner may need to be contacted for a break in or fire or they may leave it out too late in the season and it is half underwater...etc., but portables??

I have mostly fished out of my buddies unlicensed Clam 6800 and we have never been bothered...knock on wood, but I am buying a new portable for myself this year and I SUPPOSE I will have to buy a license and stick or write some dam numbers on my nice looking fresh canvas.  I think it is total bunk.  Do you have to have a license on your tent when you pitch it for a couple nights??  That is probably in the works up here in TAX land.

Then again I may go with my gut feelings and go non-compliant.

Do you guys in states other than MN have these bunk portable schack licensing rules??  If you have 3 protables, do you then have to have 3 licenses even if you only use one at a time? 
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:26 AM »
How many of you have received a warning or ticket for portable shack license issues?  I think it is pretty sad that we have to have a license and visible numbering on our portables.  What is the purpose??  Strictly revenue??   :woot: :woot:

I can understand on the permanents that sit out there all winter as the owner may need to be contacted for a break in or fire or they may leave it out too late in the season and it is half underwater...etc., but portables??

I have mostly fished out of my buddies unlicensed Clam 6800 and we have never been bothered...knock on wood, but I am buying a new portable for myself this year and I SUPPOSE I will have to buy a license and stick or write some dam numbers on my nice looking fresh canvas.  I think it is total bunk.  Do you have to have a license on your tent when you pitch it for a couple nights??  That is probably in the works up here in TAX land.

Then again I may go with my gut feelings and go non-compliant.

Do you guys in states other than MN have these bunk portable schack licensing rules??  If you have 3 protables, do you then have to have 3 licenses even if you only use one at a time? 

I think that Minnesota does not make enough of a distinction between a portable and a permanent shack. I thought that I read a while ago that the shelter license is for the owner not the shelter so you can transfer the tag between shelters. Any shelter needs a tag while on the ice so you would need multiple tags for more than one shack on the ice at a time.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:30 AM »

Do you guys in states other than MN have these bunk portable shack licensing rules??  If you have 3 protables, do you then have to have 3 licenses even if you only use one at a time? 

The law in Wisconsin reads:

"The doors of enclosed fishing shelters must be readily opened from the outside while occupied; they may be locked only while not occupied or in use.  The shelter owner’s name and address (in English) must be legibly painted or otherwise affixed on the outside of the fishing shelter with block lettering a minimum of one inch square and in contrasting colors.  Fishing shelters that are occupied or otherwise in use are exempt from this requirement.  Fishing shelters on Wisconsin boundary waters with Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota must display the name and address on all shelters at all times, even portable shelters that are occupied or in use."

In short no we don't need to register our portables or permanent shacks but need to have name and address on anything that is not occupied.  I have a Shappell DX3000 so I don't need anything on it unless I am fishing boundary waters and then only name and address.  I just put it on a piece of paper and tape it in the window as a temporary "fix" so I don't have to screw up the cover ;)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:35 AM »
The law in Wisconsin reads:

"The doors of enclosed fishing shelters must be readily opened from the outside while occupied; they may be locked only while not occupied or in use.  The shelter owner’s name and address (in English) must be legibly painted or otherwise affixed on the outside of the fishing shelter with block lettering a minimum of one inch square and in contrasting colors.  Fishing shelters that are occupied or otherwise in use are exempt from this requirement.  Fishing shelters on Wisconsin boundary waters with Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota must display the name and address on all shelters at all times, even portable shelters that are occupied or in use."

In short no we don't need to register our portables or permanent shacks but need to have name and address on anything that is not occupied.  I have a Shappell DX3000 so I don't need anything on it unless I am fishing boundary waters and then only name and address.  I just put it on a piece of paper and tape it in the window as a temporary "fix" so I don't have to screw up the cover ;)

I have a small annual contest for the guys from work. Some of the guys from WI do not come over because they do not want to pay for a one day license for there shelters and they do not want to leave them at home.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Another thing to keep Non-residents from coming into a state to enjoy thier natural resources.  They should change thier slogan to "Explore Minnesota (but make sure you have a permit)"  ::)  Hope Wisconsin never follows suit.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:51 PM »
How many of you have received a warning or ticket for portable shack license issues? 

I had a C.O. stop and check, it was in my wallet and not on the shack. I also think it is kinda hokey! Where is the line? If I was out on the ice sitting on a pail and wrapped in a blanket, would I need a permit for that? >:(

Offline Icefisher44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Shack!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:11 PM »
I got a warning during the eel pout festival in Walker. I had hauled so much stuff up there I just forgot about it. I only got a warning and it did not cost me anything. Now I spray painted on the back of my portable and I am done with it.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:08 PM »
It's all about MONEY and REGULATION"'S Which I wouldn't really wouldn't mind,if it was spent, on anything besides, arguing about REGULATION'S and MONEY!  ::)

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Hey, I would meet on Medicine Lake this winter!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.