The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where's everyone From?  (Read 21064 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Where's everyone From?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 08, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I got lucky this year.  I got a nice 10!  The best part was that my wife sat in the stand w/ me (she'd never been deer hunting) and it came by at 25 yards at 6:45 Sat morn!  It was a quick weekend, but that's ok w/ me!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Nov 08, 2005, 01:28 PM »
How far north of Nashwauk were you?  We were just south of Guyers.  Someone shot at 6:32 Saturday.  I had to take out my flashlight to see my watch it was so dark. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:54 PM »
That very well coulda been me.  A couple of years ago I bought one of those clickers to count every shot I heard, and I only counted 3 shots b/f I saw my buck.  I grew up on the north side of Bray Lake off Hwy. 56, and my parents still live there.  Probably about 6 miles as the crow flies from ya.  Just outta curiosity, where exactly are you?  I've done alot of scouting in that area, and there is some tremendous sign in that whole area, especially by Little Sweden Rd just east of Guyers.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Nov 08, 2005, 04:11 PM »
If you go south from Guyers where the road curves east, but dirt road goes straight.  The house on the end of that dirt road is ours.  We land lock the 2nd to last house and own all of the land up to the 3rd to last house.  Everything from there to the Rabbit Park is ours. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 08, 2005, 05:23 PM »
What's some of your favorite spots in the area?  I fish Long Lake up Scenic 7 alot, Res 2 by Nashwauk, Blue Lake, Bowstring, and some of the other smaller lakes in the area.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:36 AM »
I like Spider and Wabana, just because they aren't busy.  Deer and Moose out by Deer River are fun, but they get as busy as any City lake.  Have you ever hit Nashwauk Lake?  It's down by Big Macarty, only on the north side of the road.  We went out there once and caught about 40 hammer handles (ok, my wife caught everything, I got skunked), but what a beautiful little lake.  This winter we are planning on snowmobiling in and hitting the Hanna mine pit.  My dad and uncle always talk about walleyes on Little McCarty back in the day, but there is no access. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Nov 09, 2005, 09:25 AM »
I've fished Nashwauk alot for craps and bass.  I've even got a few whitefish outta the deeper holes while fishing for craps.  I've always loved Spider, too.  Fished Deer and Moose one time each, and didn't get any muskies.  I know they have good 'eyes, too, but never tried 'em.  Have you ever tried Bray?  The last couple of years the crappie numbers have been down, due to overfishing during spawning.  They use to be huge in there.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:00 AM »
I have no idea where Bray is.  Do you ever fish any of the pits?  I am really hoping we can get out there this year.  If not, it will be about the 5th year I said I was going to and didn't. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 09, 2005, 12:33 PM »
I've fished the one directly to the west of Nashwauk, you know, the one everyone cliff dives at?  We got a couple of big smallies, but that was it.  We also got a bunch of smallies outta one of the pits over by Taconite.  Speaking of which, I think there's more state record smallmouths in those pits than anywhere else in the world.  I know alot of people fish Buckeye Pit for lakers.  They aren't real big, maybe 8-10lbs on the high side, but even the smaller ones are fun!  There's browns & rainbows in most of those pits, but they're sooo hard to find.  They could be anywhere from 20 to 80 ft of water, and there's so much water in that depth range.  I tried for a couple of days in LaRue Pit northeast of Nashwauk, but couldn't find anything.  If ya wanna try, good luck.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Nov 09, 2005, 12:54 PM »
I've fished the one directly to the west of Nashwauk, you know, the one everyone cliff dives at?  We got a couple of big smallies, but that was it.  We also got a bunch of smallies outta one of the pits over by Taconite.  Speaking of which, I think there's more state record smallmouths in those pits than anywhere else in the world.
Is that the one over the fence from the liquor store?   I am hoping to find a seasoned vet to take me out.  I have some cousins up on Buck lake (now live in Keewatin), but they are good freinds of Greg Clausia (write Clausia's Corner in the Hibbing paper) and I am trying to get him to take me out.  Pokegoma in Rapids has trout too.  I am not worried about size, I just want to pull one through the ice.  The 8-10's are far better eating than the 20+ fish, not that i would mind a 20+ fish. 
Smallies?  I am walleye/crappie guy, but I never turn down a chance at smallies.  Is that pit over Taconite the one that they are afraid might take out Bovey or is it a different one? 

Offline itchynate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • right there!
« Reply #70 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:37 PM »
Probably about 6 miles as the crow flies from ya.

is this where you get it from mnburbot? (inside joke)  ;D oh, if the others could read this. lmao!!! :D :D  as the crow flies! :o
I.B.O.T.#361

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Nov 11, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Is that the one over the fence from the liquor store?   I am hoping to find a seasoned vet to take me out.  I have some cousins up on Buck lake (now live in Keewatin), but they are good freinds of Greg Clausia (write Clausia's Corner in the Hibbing paper) and I am trying to get him to take me out.  Pokegoma in Rapids has trout too.  I am not worried about size, I just want to pull one through the ice.  The 8-10's are far better eating than the 20+ fish, not that i would mind a 20+ fish. 
Smallies?  I am walleye/crappie guy, but I never turn down a chance at smallies.  Is that pit over Taconite the one that they are afraid might take out Bovey or is it a different one? 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Nov 11, 2005, 10:44 AM »
If you're looking for lakers, try big trout lake over by Wabana.  I've never fished it myself, but my cousin does alot and does very very well.  Pokegama has really been turning on in the last couple of years due to a huge stocking effort, and they're getting 'em right in front of my uncle's cabin, I forgot the name of the bay.  As far as smallies go, this summer I'm sure I'll be getting up there a few times, and I might be able to show ya around a couple of the pits.  It's usually not really good action, but I've caught smallies up to 5 3/4 lbs, and seen bigger ones in the ultra-clear water.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 11, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Oh yeah, and also for lakers, bluewater lake, which is accessible by a chanel from wabana, is really good too, or so I've heard.

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #74 on: Nov 13, 2005, 05:15 PM »
I'm from eastern South Dakota. Man I cannot wait to get my new/used fish shack out onthe ice. The way the weather has been it will Jan.

Later, boxcar

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:41 AM »
is this where you get it from mnburbot? (inside joke)  ;D oh, if the others could read this. lmao!!! :D :D  as the crow flies! :o
I am not even sure what to say to that!   ;D

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Come on now, don't give us boys from "up nort" a hard time!  It's not our fault!  It's the way we were raised

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Nashwauk/Keewatin lost this weekend.  So did Cambridge/Isanti, so I am not sure who to root for now.

elbowlake

« Reply #78 on: Nov 23, 2005, 03:08 PM »
elbow lake here...cant wait to hit the ice=)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 23, 2005, 03:17 PM »
elbow lake, whereabouts that located?

elbowlake

« Reply #80 on: Nov 24, 2005, 11:47 AM »
elbow lake is right near lake vermillion, in cook, MN.
im new to the area but couldnt be more excited ti hit the ice...i havent been able to ice fish for several years, cat wait to turn it into a "bad" habbit=)

Offline patchadams17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winter Man from Minnesota
« Reply #81 on: Nov 24, 2005, 06:03 PM »
Wllmar Area here

Offline westranger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Nov 25, 2005, 05:57 AM »
The great metropolis of Pengilly!  Born and raised.  Swan Lake is home but cabin on Winni!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Nov 25, 2005, 09:18 AM »
Hey westranger, welcome to the site.  I see you're a newby.  Anyways, how's things going in 'gilly?  Man, I miss it up there

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Nov 28, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Welcome Westranger.  I am part time from Nashwauk, but have some relatives in Penguilly and I frequent the Swan Lake Golf Course. 

Offline westranger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:56 AM »
Really,  I belong to the SLCC.  I play there every week on mens night! 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:59 AM »
When I lived up there I was on SLCC all the time.  We had a family membership.  Haven't had much time to swing the clubs since, though.  Everywhere down here is way too expensive

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Nov 28, 2005, 12:30 PM »
So you probly know my uncle Ron Giving then? 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Nov 28, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Can't say that I do

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Nov 28, 2005, 12:38 PM »
Maybe not you, but I bet Westranger does. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.