New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032296 times)

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7410 on: Feb 19, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Any word on people going out of Verona , Godfrey or Chapman with a sled?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7411 on: Feb 19, 2022, 02:51 PM »
i got the chapman web cam up watching them shanties getting pounded ...i had to use my compass to get to the fridge and get a beer ......life is good

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #7412 on: Feb 19, 2022, 02:59 PM »
i got the chapman web cam up watching them shanties getting pounded ...i had to use my compus to get to the fridge and get a beer ......life is good

I bet you have an olfactory compass for that Trap.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7413 on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:17 PM »
I’d like some opinions on fishing walleyes and perch. By fishing to close to the bottom are you spooking the fish? I think it does, especially under a foot off of the bottom. I’m just wondering after a recent trip to the lake. I just feel like you’re not allowing them to get out of there comfort zone and if they’re around and fishing on the bottom you’re pushing them away because you’re to close to them. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks, fishy
I fish the west end for perch.  Usually in 19 fow. I usually find two different bites.  If they are hitting minnows you can be on the bottom to 4’ up. They will cover that whole zone.  When they are only hitting spikes I usually only get bites in the bottom foot.  On the occasional day, they hit everything, everywhere. 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7414 on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Gave it a shot at Godfrey this morning 6-1230. Ramp and ice were in beautiful shape. No slush or water that I found. The typical pressure ridge bout 80 yards out running east to west is all you goda watch. Little harry this morning crossing tightened right up with that south west wind by time I left. Some of the drifts were building up knee high or so but I’d say 3/4 of lake is bare ice. Fishing was tough I fought for 3 nice perch and handful of short eyes all morning then bang just like a switch at 1115 I landed 2 18” eyes and dumped 2 at hole. Kept hooking edge of hole🤬.  They were done by noon. Got a quick window bout 1230 the sun came out I packed up and high tailed it out of there. Wind sucked but I expected it. Kept sled rope attached to  wheeler and anchored back of sled with an ice angel…. good to go. Did 2 set ups 30fow then 37. Did much better at 37. Wish I could go tomorrow goda put in some family time build them points up for next weekend. Good luck to all venturing out tomorrow. Time for me to drink some beer clean some fish and watch my gear dry ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7415 on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:48 PM »

Well done in bad conditions iceman

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7416 on: Feb 19, 2022, 06:37 PM »
You certainly earned those fish today, Iceman!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7417 on: Feb 19, 2022, 06:48 PM »
arbys fish sandwiches /2 for  6 bucks  ....no fighting 50 mpg guest

good job ice

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7418 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:26 PM »
Awesome job and nice report. Reading it was like being right out there without having to fight the wind!

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7419 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:52 PM »
I’d like some opinions on fishing walleyes and perch. By fishing to close to the bottom are you spooking the fish? I think it does, especially under a foot off of the bottom. I’m just wondering after a recent trip to the lake. I just feel like you’re not allowing them to get out of there comfort zone and if they’re around and fishing on the bottom you’re pushing them away because you’re to close to them. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks, fishy
I think you are thinking too much. 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7420 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Thanks guys. It was fish or sit around the house trying to find stuff to do. Maybe some day……… not today though. I just did my best to relax in the shanty and not call the old girl any bad names ;)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7421 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:56 PM »
some times fish are picky other times they smash everything..... one thing ive learned about onieda in over 45 yrs the fish are hitting some where every single day, and there is no one thing that is a magic trick....

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7422 on: Feb 19, 2022, 08:38 PM »
^this!

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7423 on: Feb 20, 2022, 07:30 AM »
Wasn't able to make it up this weekend with brother and buddies, said wind was brutal yesterday, hopefully a better day today! Good luck to all !

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7424 on: Feb 20, 2022, 08:37 AM »
Be there in a couple hours !    coming for 2 days

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7425 on: Feb 20, 2022, 08:57 AM »
Getm  62!!!!

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7426 on: Feb 20, 2022, 09:01 AM »
I'm taking a vacation day Monday and making the drive up with my ice fishing addict 10 year old son.  I'm not too familiar with this area of the south shore, park in the big lot and follow the beaten path down (I assume to the east of the pier)?  How is the on/off at Chapman for a walker with a smitty sled?  I see a nice little shanty town out there on webcam today, looks like everything froze up nicely post storm.  We'll be wearing our cleats.

Offline wnyaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7427 on: Feb 20, 2022, 09:03 AM »
Out of Chapman now. One 20” eye and 3 nice perch. Action stopped at 8. Just lookers since then. Hoping for one more turn on before I turn out.

Drag is as easy as it gets. Bring creepers.

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7428 on: Feb 20, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Out of Chapman now. One 20” eye and 3 nice perch. Action stopped at 8. Just lookers since then. Hoping for one more turn on before I turn out.

Drag is as easy as it gets. Bring creepers.

Awesome, thanks!  Tight lines, best of luck the rest of the morning!

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7429 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:30 AM »

It used to be lonely out here before nav app

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7430 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:12 PM »
Water is very turbid around the canal on the east end today. Fished for an hour this morning with only two lookers so we packed up the truck and headed for clearer water. Found eyes and nice perch in 22’ of clear water. 5 keepers, 4 shorts and 8 jumbo perch between 2 of us.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7431 on: Feb 20, 2022, 03:02 PM »
How's the Perch bite been at Sylvan Beach? Anyone have a update?
I live back in the woods you see

Offline HOLOTA18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7432 on: Feb 20, 2022, 03:31 PM »
I'm supposed to be coming up to fish Wednesday evening and for the day Thursday. The weather looks like its going to be pretty warm the next 3 days. How does that effect the ice conditions and pressure cracks? I know there's plenty of ice and it's not going anywhere, just curious about cracks and weird gas pockets?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7433 on: Feb 20, 2022, 03:43 PM »

As always just be aware of your surroundings, if in question on a crack when crossing check with a spud , as the cracks do sometimes shift

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7434 on: Feb 20, 2022, 03:55 PM »
As always just be aware of your surroundings, if in question on a crack when crossing check with a spud , as the cracks do sometimes shift
X2^^
And it’s Mid to late February, ice is changing daily from here on out. Use good judgement and be safe. 

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7435 on: Feb 20, 2022, 04:54 PM »
Ice was almost to the top of my auger blades today so the slab will still be around a while but getting out onto it could get a little sketchy after a few days of intense sun like we had today. The bite was weird today, I couldn’t jig up a keeper eye but my buddy jigged his limit right next to me practically but couldn’t get a perch. All 5 of my walleyes came on tip ups,  3 were short but I jigged up perch when they showed up and all were 10” -12”. It was a beautiful day to be out there.

I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7436 on: Feb 20, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Nice day of fishing there Gh73!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7437 on: Feb 20, 2022, 05:14 PM »
Congratulations Greenhornet..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7438 on: Feb 20, 2022, 05:46 PM »
Nice job hornet! I fished from 1:30-5:30. Tough afternoon as I only landed 2 perch and 4 short walleyes. Marked a decent amount of fish but they didn’t like me today lol.  A couple buddies who I met out there fished sunup until 2:00 and did pretty good. Ice was in great shape but the shoreline was a little wet when we came in. Nothing to crazy though.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7439 on: Feb 20, 2022, 06:09 PM »

Nice day hornet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.