New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032104 times)

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7320 on: Feb 16, 2022, 08:55 AM »
There are some pretty decent ppl left. Glad you got help.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline wincendf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7321 on: Feb 16, 2022, 12:05 PM »
Never been on Oneida before and thinking about taking the kids who are 4 and 6 on Sunday. Are any areas of the lake better than other for this? Ill be on foot also no machine for us. Thanks

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7322 on: Feb 16, 2022, 03:11 PM »
no where near an expert on Onieda but I think most of the productive water would be a long walk from shore for the little ones. The wind can also be a factor.  Have you considered Big Bay on the west end ?  Not a bad walk from a pay to park lot and lots of good sized sunnies to keep the kids interested.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7323 on: Feb 16, 2022, 04:40 PM »
 Agreed most places will a bit much for the little ones to walk , BB would be much more agreeable just my .02 the sunnies and gills are very nice in size but can be finicky at times
 If you go on your own +-1/2 mile can put you in good fishing water just my .02

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7324 on: Feb 16, 2022, 05:00 PM »
If it's glade ice like where I'm headed this weekend just put the kid in the sled and drag them
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7325 on: Feb 16, 2022, 05:28 PM »
wincendf pm send  hope it helps .....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7326 on: Feb 16, 2022, 05:48 PM »
If it's glade ice like where I'm headed this weekend just put the kid in the sled and drag them
It’s not all glade ice , after sleds and wheelers drove through the slush that is refrozen , my bud that was out day before yesterday where he went out was ankle busting walk at least a hundred yards dragging at least an extra 100lbs ,  hopefully with the rain and a little snow will smooth things up by the weekend

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #7327 on: Feb 16, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Never been on Oneida before and thinking about taking the kids who are 4 and 6 on Sunday. Are any areas of the lake better than other for this? Ill be on foot also no machine for us. Thanks

Not sure about you but I won’t be fishing until next week prolly mid week at that, I won’t fight that wind anymore
My personal opinion is a 4yo and a 6yo on the ice with winds blowing 20+ all day would not be fun.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7328 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:07 PM »
Not sure about you but I won’t be fishing until next week prolly mid week at that, I won’t fight that wind anymore
My personal opinion is a 4yo and a 6yo on the ice with winds blowing 20+ all day would not be fun.

Taking my 4 year old Saturday afternoon and then My 9 year old all day Sunday
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7329 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:13 PM »
beenperchin it wasn't much fun for a old fart today when those gust really hit ......i might hit a sheldered spot i know tomorrow  i went and checked it out this evening

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7330 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:22 PM »

Sunday looks to be the best of the 2 days far as wind

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #7331 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:03 PM »
I may not be that old but I have lived a good and exciting life to date and I only spent an hour on the ice today.
Like trap said get behind something for some shelter or I don’t go anymore

Wind blows closed flip.
Closed flip goes sideways.
Snowmobile slides sides ways  with it.

Have at it. I was once that willing to beat myself up too I raced motocross.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7332 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:20 PM »
it was to brutal today  .......i even anchored the shanty down and i still had visions of a icshanty ice boat ride......it wasn't fun

Offline kipawakrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • this is a good one!!
« Reply #7333 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Hey folks - way overdue but was out weekend before last and wanted to post a quick report. As I’m sure any fools like us experienced that weekend, 4 wheeeler was brutal even with chains due to slush and snow combo. Should have listened to guy in parking lot with a wheeler turned ice ball but you couldn’t tell us anything after a 3-hour drive to fish! We earned every foot of the mile and a half we made it out… set up on an underwater point in 24 foot of water on a pretty steep drop from 10 to 28 in about 100 yard span. O5 jigging raps with  an emerald head were best and we managed 11 eyes and 3 perch between two guys - average size was really nice… 2 over 20” and only 3 shorts. Old school black and gold was the hot color. Thanks to all you regulars that post general ice and fishing updates on here - much appreciated by this weekend warrior that only gets out a few times a year.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7334 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:33 PM »
it was to brutal today  .......i even anchored the shanty down and i still had visions of a icshanty ice boat ride......it wasn't fun
Lol I did that 2 weeks ago 😜

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7335 on: Feb 16, 2022, 09:33 PM »
Fished off Lewis Point this afternoon. My son-in-law got his walleye limit in the last hour of light. We added 2 perch. Silver and black jigging raps with fathead head. 28 to 32 fow. Wind was strong when we got on at 2:30 but settled down later on to where it was not bad. Overall better than I thought it would be wind wise.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7336 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:24 AM »
Nice job guys. I agree bigbuck, the wind went down at sunset and it was nice.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7337 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:29 AM »
Nice job Buck.  That last hour has been more productive for me than the first hour in the am.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #7338 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:46 AM »
Finally had a break working. Got over to bb yesterday. it was a slow pick, but managed 23 big sunnies, and 1 crappie. The wind was brutal !! I managed to not let my bucket, and jet sled take flight. It was good to get out, and get on some fish  ;D.   Sully...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7339 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:56 AM »

Nice job sully

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7340 on: Feb 17, 2022, 06:44 AM »
good job sully that wind got to me

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #7341 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:24 AM »
Is there more than one Jewel access point,the one I went out of on Tuesday is not the one I remember from 20 years ago?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7342 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:28 AM »

To let everyone know there are ice depressions out there and now are filled with water , 1 SW of mills street access, so I’m sure there are more around the lake

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7343 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:38 AM »
Hi guys, looking for some insight on bait shops and access points.  I am heading up this weekend for my first time ever fishing in NY.  I thought I had a plan, but the wind on Saturday has me thinking of a contingency plan or two.  Planning to leave the house around 3AM and make the 4.5 hour drive due north to Lakeside Outfitters. I planned to fish off Lewis point or Sylvan beach so this place seemed to be in route.  Anyway, really only looking for a few dozen minnows and maybe a jigging rap or two.  Will this place fit the bill?  Since I was arriving later on Saturday I thought maybe Lewis Point parking would be full at which time i was going to try Sylvan.  That's before the wind forecast got worse and worse every time I looked at it.  Can I find protection from the wind in south bay or do I need to go to the west end of the lake?  I saw big bay mentioned above, where can you park to fish this bay?  Walleye was the main target since I have never caught one while ice fishing, not many opportunities in SE PA. I'm willing to walk a long ways for a good bite, but I may stay closer to shore on Saturday and take the long walk on Sunday. 
Thanks in advance and tight lines.
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7344 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:48 AM »
ice creepers or korkers are a must

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7345 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:58 AM »
Lakeside outfitters has everything you’ll need.
Good fishing all over Oneida. Just have to find them. Good luck

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7346 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:48 PM »
I would maybe start by scrolling the 247 pages of posted information available to you at no cost except your time.
I read the last 10 or so pages  and got a few laughs. Wasn’t sure if the bait shop and parking situation would still be relevant on posts from 2017.  I know many of our bait shops in PA have closed in that time frame.  Thanks for your time. 
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline Db1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7347 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:52 PM »
There should be parking at lewis or slyvan if u get there later for the wind LADY O is the boss might want ice anchors

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7348 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:08 PM »
To let everyone know there are ice depressions out there and now are filled with water , 1 SW of mills street access, so I’m sure there are more around the lake
Thanks for the heads up 👍🏻
I live back in the woods you see

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7349 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Is an "ice depression" a low area that collects water or is it an area of bad or weak ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.