New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031869 times)

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4020 on: Jan 25, 2020, 03:25 AM »
BAD ICE   I know every one has an opinion on what acceptable ice should  be. And I'm sure I will ruffle a few feathers by saying this, but the weekend crowd is coming and that ice is dangerous and they need to know. Yesterday I went off Onieda  Shores County  park.  Walking on the wind blown areas was ok with about 3.5 to 5"  However, if you happen to walk into a 6" deep snowdrift plan on  things getting bad fast.  I poked my spud completely thru with one wack and I believe I could have kicked a hole thru with my boot, I left post haste.
  This am , I was one of the first few to venture out on Big Bay. I won't be there again soon,  I started on a good 5" near shore and it gradually detieriated and got thinner the further out I went. I like to move around a bit and did not feel safe there so I left,  Out about 200 yds it gets dark ,wet, and soft, and thin.
   I then rode down to Godfries point and thought I had found THE place to fish.  I unloaded the sled packed with enough lunch to cancel dinner and started out, Really looking forward to some fishing.  Out about 150 yds from shore I was standing on 1.5" again<could see water in front of me, and for the longest time I stood there trying to figure out how those 20 or so people got out to where they were.  There is a large wet crack that goes completely around the launch from shore to shore.  Those people out there had bigger ones than I do!  After that a ride down to the beach confirmed my suspitions  about that spot. A decent fellow was returning from the ice and told me of the day he just had,  A foot deep here, 2" over there,  owe and don't forget about the shove ice that the wind has piled up and your auger may not be long enough.
  I really am not trying to skair people away since we all just really have so much time to fish and I receive no benenfit from spreading these words.  I just don't want to hear about some fisherman on the news this weekend  please    please    please  be careful
I second that

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4021 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:35 AM »
I will ruffle some feathers.  If you go out this weekend with these temps and rain and fall through they should leave you there.  There is no way that ice is safe.  I know there have been lots of people out. There are also lots of drunk drivers that make it home every night. Does that mean they should drive drunk again tonight or you should? Use your brain the fish aren’t going anywhere.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #4022 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:35 AM »
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4023 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:46 AM »
stop beating around the bush and tell me how you really feel about the ice this week end?

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4024 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:24 AM »
the beach looks like a free for all on the cam.....gotta be well over 100 and counting....wheelers are heading out too :cookoo:......wind/rain/warm = soaking wet shanty and clothes....yuk....reas on # 14 why I retired when I did  ;).......don't have to wait for weekends that seem to be horrible weather wise this year.......stay dry and safe out there fellers

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4025 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:28 AM »
At least it’s good for local businesses around the beach.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4026 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:29 AM »
I promised I would not get involved ......... we may be about to witness natural selection ....watching people walk out with no spuds and 2 days ago I found  spots my spud went right threw ....

Offline sarge tackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4027 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:35 AM »
THANK YOU, 62&DONE, FOR WHAT APPEARS TO BE A VERY HONEST REPORT ON THE CONDITIONS YOU ENCOUNTERED.  I HOPE SEVERAL WILL TAKE NOTICE.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #4028 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:37 AM »
I promised I would not get involved ......... we may be about to witness natural selection ....watching people walk out with no spuds and 2 days ago I found  spots my spud went right threw ....
And the Darwin goes to... will be back later to find out.
Hopefully everything works out.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4029 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:38 AM »
just saw on facebook that a guy took a swim at big bay....apparently he's ok and off the ice........be careful out there today guys

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4030 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:02 AM »

It happens scout , even the most experienced people can get into trouble
 Where we were Yesterday,  (not Oneida)goon and I found some gas pockets , springs , not sure , but you never know how big they really are ,
 Be careful out there

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4031 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for the reports guys.  Think I wait a few days before heading back again.  Looks like it gets a little colder middle of next week. 

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4032 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:35 AM »
I haven't been out yet, and don't plan on it anytime soon !! The conditions on onieda lake are dangerous, and not safe to say the least. It's going to be a sad day to read, or see anyone that didn't make it home. I hate to say anything bad about the lake, but the truth hurts. I usually ice fish just about every day. I have fished this lake all of my life, and have never seen conditions this bad. take the time to listen to the old timers on here. they just might save your life !!!
it's just nor worth it fellas.   Sully...

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4033 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Should I be popping popcorn??
I live back in the woods you see

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4034 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:48 AM »
About a dozen guys off the point this morn, I haven't been on the ice this year yet so can't report conditions. From what I see from shore is open water at the point, 34 degrees and rain, ice has that ugly grey look. watched a guy push his spud thru with 2 others standing next to him so they moved to deeper water. I hope they realize that they need to walk back in eventually. They are out a good half mile long walk when you are wet.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4035 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Should I be popping popcorn??

Only if you’re hungry.  ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4036 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Theres a lot of people out there and thats a lot of extra weight.   With the amount of holes drilled out there this week shouldn't that swiss cheese be sinking?     ::)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4037 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:51 AM »
Thanks Sarge   I do not take pleasure in discouraging people from fishing but I tell it like it is DON"T GO !!!    If you really want to fish find a smaller body of water to the north and be care as you go.   Onieda is not safe

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4038 on: Jan 25, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Well most of snow is gone and im sure all will be gone by tmrw, I think this rain will help , IF the temps get down  enough to set everything up and may be make a couple of inchs, IF the wind does not pick up and break the lake up, IF we dont loose what lil ice we have and it opens up prior to cold temps.........Well its iffy for sure

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4039 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:17 PM »
creeks  came up high with all this  rain that's a lot of warm water under the ice ....just something to think about

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4040 on: Jan 26, 2020, 05:52 AM »
creeks  came up high with all this  rain that's a lot of warm water under the ice ....just something to think about
Well I like the part where all the slush and snow are melting off, that gives A better chance of making ice barring another pissing blizzard. I had to say Trap, all this water in the creeks is snow runoff, I bet it isn't that warm, I bet it's about 33 degrees, still dangerous as it undermines the ice. I never go left out of Constantia till im about A mile out, I see tracks going over the mouth of Scriba creek every year. I think someone here tangled with Scriba creek once, I forget who it was, I think Chenbasshead.

So all you guys with sleds, i'm still not registered for the year, every week it gets more pointless. I am thinking i'll put 20 bucks insurance on it to avoid the big ticket, I think the no registration ticket doesn't cost much more than the registration. I never complain about spending $$ on fishing, just wierd to pay that kind of loot to only use the sled for A month maybe. $100 for A month or 2 of sled use, or $12.50 A year for ATV's, I think I need A 4 wheeler next, and 6-8 inches black ice please.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4041 on: Jan 26, 2020, 06:27 AM »
 Few off the beach this morning
  Scriba Creek use to head sort of SE , I believe now it heads toward bird island
 Just Be mindful

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4042 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:59 AM »
man  some guys got brass balls i just checked an area where two guys are out and i was popping thru with one shot with spud, but if this slush thats on top sets up will be a huge improvement

Offline Tg8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4043 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:06 AM »
Havnt even seen one on ffinder, 21 ft. I have 6 inches of ice out here.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4044 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:15 AM »
if we can get thru the next 2 days without any snow on the ice , we might be fishing by wednesday or thursday.....a little cold snap is forecast although that can change at a moments notice.....then another crappy weekend....hope their wrong

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4045 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:20 AM »
man  some guys got brass balls i just checked an area where two guys are out and i was popping thru with one shot with spud, but if this slush thats on top sets up will be a huge improvement

that ain't  brass  for  balls  that's  s--t for brains

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4046 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:27 AM »
I  don't know  scout the  10 looks pretty bad  to me as  far as building ice

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4047 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:44 AM »
At least they dropped the night temps a bit for a couple nights this week. Maybe we can get a couple of single digit nights and freeze that junk up solid.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4048 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:11 AM »
I  don't know  scout the  10 looks pretty bad  to me as  far as building ice
Dammit Trap.....work with me here.....trying to stay positive...lol :thumbsup: :woot:

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4049 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:11 AM »
CNY there is a new vintage sled reg law proposal at the state. Everyone should contact their Rep and ask them to vote in favor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.